• Guide: Pictures are the best way of describing what is for sale. Please describe any nicks, defects, missing parts and if a lens or camera, source and serial number, if available.

The recycling of unused gear helps this community! Good luck!
  • This forum is for contributors with a track record of substantial posts on phottography. Post such as "great picture" don't count. We routinely soft-delete "for sale" posts from those who have not, as yet, really participated as described above.
  • Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Thieves in my studio - list with serials

Michael Fontana

pro member
Last night, thieves entered in my studio and stealed stuff in value of about 45'000 $.
I have no digital photo-gear anymore, just 4/5' film 6/6-film and SLR-Film.

As I'm living in CH, close to the german and french border, plus my lensline is pretty exotic, I make public the dtolen gear and the serials, as these items might be sold in some other lands as well:

In case someone is spotting one of these items with the correct serial, please send me a mail; don't play police. So here' the items:

Cameras
- Canon 1 Ds Mark 2, Serial: 319580, with accesoire
- Canon 10 D, with accesoire

Rare lens with EF-mount
- Schneider PC-28-Shiftlens Serial: 14683367 - whithout bag
- Canon TSE-24/3.5 T, Shiftobjektiv, Serial 16047, in gray original bag
- Nikon 14-24, AF-S 14-24 f2.8G Serial L 225195 incl. adapter to Canon EF
- Zeiss Contax 3.5/100 SerialNr: 6639631 incl. adapter to Canon EF
- Sigma Fisheye 15 mm, 2.8 EX-Diagonal, EF-mount Serial 2007267

Rare: Canon FD = old mount 4.5/85-300; Serial: 10252

Zeiss Contax
Zeiss Distagon 25 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF
Zeiss Distagon 28 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF
Zeiss Distagon 35 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF, Serial 7028246
Zeiss Planar 50 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF
Zeiss Sonnar 85 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF, Serial 6579685

less rare Canon EF
Canon 17-40 L Zoom , Serial USM 51928
Canon Macro 100, Serial
Canon Macro 50, Serial

- Hasselblad 500 C with magazin 120 &
with Distagon 50 mm und Planar 80 mm

- Gossen Colormeter: Serial 9149328
- Camerabag brown, camerabag black.

thanks

BTW: Somone knows where to put the serials of the stolen gear in the web?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I'm very sorry to read of your misfortune, Michael. What a wipe-out. I hope you were insured at least to some extent.

Obviously your best bet for recovery will be through local law enforcement. I'm sure that in this region of Switzerland the police continuously cooperate on such investigations. I don't believe that posting serial numbers on the Internet is worthwhile.

Last night, thieves entered in my studio and stealed stuff in value of about 45'000 $.

Wow, I can only begin to understand how you must be feeling, devastated no doubt. All I can offer is a word of sympathy and a watchfull eye on the internet should it surface here.

I don't know if you are registered with Canon Professional Services (CPS), rules for participation may differ by geography, but then leave a note at your Canon representative.

I wish you all the best in overcoming this tragedy. I can only hope there was some sort of insurance, but I know it can be prohibitively expensive.

Good luck,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Michael,

This is horrible news, I am shocked. I hope that you are insured against theft and that they pay out against the new value of equipment. If not, a terrible loss to have to actuate the fiscal write-off of your equipment.

Here is thinking of you...

Regards,

Ruben Alfu

As I'm living in CH, close to the german and french border, plus my lensline is pretty exotic, I make public the dtolen gear and the serials, as these items might be sold in some other lands as well:

In case someone is spotting one of these items with the correct serial, please send me a mail; don't play police. So here' the items:

Cameras
- Canon 1 Ds Mark 2, Serial: 319580, with accesoire
- Canon 10 D, with accesoire

Rare lens with EF-mount
- Schneider PC-28-Shiftlens Serial: 14683367 - whithout bag
- Canon TSE-24/3.5 T, Shiftobjektiv, Serial 16047, in gray original bag
- Nikon 14-24, AF-S 14-24 f2.8G Serial L 225195 incl. adapter to Canon EF
- Zeiss Contax 3.5/100 Serial xxxxx91, incl. adapter to Canon EF
- Sigma Fisheye 15 mm, 2.8 EX-Diagonal, EF-mount Serial 2007267

Rare: Canon FD = old mount 4.5/85-300; Serial: 10252

Zeiss Contax
Zeiss Distagon 25 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF
Zeiss Distagon 28 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF
Zeiss Distagon 35 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF, Serial 7028246
Zeiss Planar 50 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF
Zeiss Sonnar 85 mm, incl. Adapter to Canon EF, Serial 6579685

less rare Canon EF
Canon 17-40 L Zoom , Serial USM 51928
Canon Macro 100, Serial
Canon Macro 50, Serial

- Hasselblad 500 C with magazin 120 &
with Distagon 50 mm und Planar 80 mm

- Sekonic Exposuremeter L508: Serial 9149328
- Camerabag brown, camerabag black.

thanks

OMG Michael, what can I say... thieves are just despicable. Craigslist is another site worth watching. I do wish you a good outcome with this.

John Angulat

pro member
Michael, that's devastating news to hear.
I'm so sorry for the loss of such fine equipment.
Do any of the manufacturers have a system for noting the s/n's of stolen equipment?
It might take a while, but everything needs to be serviced sooner or later.

fahim mohammed

Michael, I am terribly sorry for your loss.
I hope the equipment was insured.

I do remember reading about a stolen camera db where one could report stolen camera
equipment. I shall try to get the url for you, if i can find it.

Such a loss.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks all for your kind words
yes it is devastating, it took me all night to realise it.

It's true, it's gear only, but didn't I wrote at the end of last year that after a few years of searching and testing I finally was happy with my lensline?

CPS is upgrading the site at the moment, so I haven't access right now, but did send them a mail.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The more relevant question is what do you believe that posting serial numbers on the Internet will help to recover your goods? It makes no practical sense.
I wonder whether any companies, even large ones like KEH, bother to check serial numbers for stolen goods. Is it known, even with Canon having such a list, whether something on that list sent to Canon for repair will be flagged as stolen?

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
The more relevant question is what do you believe that posting serial numbers on the Internet will help to recover your goods? It makes no practical sense.

If that equipement goes to internet auctions or to some photo vendors with 2nd hand stuff, it will be easier to identify. The stolen equipement can be anyware in europe, right now. I don't know what the police is doing, beside entering it in a international °stolen-database°

Photographers beeing interested in that stuff can be alerted as well.

Michael Fontana

pro member
I' ve to get a cam as fast as possible, as I have jobs to be done.
What would you go for - in terms of IQ: a used 1 Ds-2 or a new 5 D-II?

The 1 Ds-2 would offer some advantages on using zeiss lenses, and I liked them very much and think I'll go for these again.

Michael Fontana

pro member
I can't edit, can you enter at the top liste the serial for

- Zeiss Contax 3.5/100 SerialNr: 6639631 incl. adapter to Canon EF

and please enter Gossens Colormeter instead of the Sekonic Exposuremeter.
I mixed them up at first sight.

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
If that equipement goes to internet auctions or to some photo vendors with 2nd hand stuff, it will be easier to identify. The stolen equipement can be anyware in europe, right now. I don't know what the police is doing, beside entering it in a international °stolen-database°

Photographers beeing interested in that stuff can be alerted as well.

If only. But I've purchased quite a few camera items on eBay over the years, some recently from China and eastern Europe. I had no idea what the serial numbers were before I purchased any item... and would not have known what the heck to do with them even if I had known. There is simply no authoritative way for a purchaser to use this information. Personally, my guideline is only to buy items that are packed in the manufacturer's original box, and/or to only buy from sellers who have established online stores (in eBay or elsewhere), and/or to only buy from sellers I know.

Serial numbers posted on some photo forum are useless. Only the police can make use of this information, and then only after they've taken custody of a cache of potentially stolen goods.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I' ve to get a cam as fast as possible, as I have jobs to be done.
What would you go for - in terms of IQ: a used 1 Ds-2 or a new 5 D-II?

The 1 Ds-2 would offer some advantages on using zeiss lenses, and I liked them very much and think I'll go for these again.

Michael,

for the better focus capability, I'd choose the 1DII and you use any Zeiss lens they didn't steal or can get new ZE lenses at fair prices. My 1DII will be for sale shortly when I get my 5D and 5DII back for CPS. However, if you are just doing architecture, and have time to focus, the 5DII is a better bet as it maintains the focal length value of your wide angle lenses. With the 5FD, one get focus most of hte time, but it'd not as nimble as the 1DII.

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
for the better focus capability, I'd choose the 1DII and you use any Zeiss le

Asher, the 1 DII is not a option, I need FF not crop!
The question is 1 Ds-2 used or 5D-2 new.

The 1 Ds-2 would have the advantage of anything beeing calibrated already - the lenses for distortion and the NNP for the panohead. So easier start would be with a used 1 Ds-II.