• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A few more from my shoot this weekend

Sydney Rester

Here are a few more shots from a shoot I did for a friend this weekend and her rapidly aging much beloved dog. We wanted to make memories (and good photographs). I see a focus problem in #3 though I still like the shot. Overall, did I succeed?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sydney,

Here are a few more shots from a shoot I did for a friend this weekend and her rapidly aging much beloved dog. We wanted to make memories (and good photographs). I see a focus problem in #3 though I still like the shot. Overall, did I succeed?
You just keep doin' it. "What photography was invented for."

I don't see the "focus problem" in no. 3 as a problem. It is a fabulous portrait.

It helps that your models are both way cute.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sydney,

You have succeeded well for this client. For me these mages are adorable and happy. So what now?

I'd suggest my own trick of making B&W prints on 8x10 paper with the images surrounded by white space. Here they would be printed landscape. Then get a pencil or crayon and draw on them anything that's missing or you would change. That's it! If you happen to photograph them more, great. In any case your brain will have learned a lesson. This is the "extra step" to get your own ideas into your own pictures.

Next, it might be that if you can't take several steps backwards for lack of room, you might like the 70-20 f4.0 ISL. You can use it a f4.0 to 5.6 to get beautiful bokeh and then frame your subjects without cutting off libs where you'd rather include them.

Asher

Sydney Rester

Update - she loves them! But please C&C

She just posted on fb: "I'm a total softy...but I cried when I saw these :) I'm at a loss to describe your talent in a word that is unique and describes you and your ability as I feel when I saw these."

That's what I wanted and that's why I do this. One of my friends told me this morning that my pictures are about LOVE capital letters pure and simple. Either the love between my subjects or the love I have for my subjects. If that's who I am as a photographer, I think that's pretty cool, and my sister, who was overflowing with love, would be really proud of me.

Asher Kelman

She just posted on fb: "I'm a total softy...but I cried when I saw these :) I'm at a loss to describe your talent in a word that is unique and describes you and your ability as I feel when I saw these."

That's what I wanted and that's why I do this. One of my friends told me this morning that my pictures are about LOVE capital letters pure and simple. Either the love between my subjects or the love I have for my subjects. If that's who I am as a photographer, I think that's pretty cool, and my sister, who was overflowing with love, would be really proud of me.

I told you all this in the beginning and these new voices say it again, but more eloquently! Yes, your sister would be most proud of you! I know I'm thrilled to see your progress. It's a journey you take and we are here to enjoy it with you.

Asher

Asher Kelman

There are several issues that could be raised regarding these images.

But if your friend is happy with the photos, and if she remains your friend, then, yes, you have "succeeded".

Ken,

Yes, there are issues, and it's fine to raise them as Sydney has an eager and open mind and would appreciate you ideas and suggestions. The fact that these memory pictures work so well for her freend is great, as you say. However, there's another task here and with just praise, her path will not be made easy. There are not a lot of folk who really value and put to good use good advice. Here you'll find a mature and grateful photographer, happy to receive your feedback and ready to apply ideas that might be considered here.

Asher

Sydney Rester

There are several issues that could be raised regarding these images.

But if your friend is happy with the photos, and if she remains your friend, then, yes, you have "succeeded".

Ken! You've been awfully quiet for a very long time. I was wondering when you'd chime in. I'm already aware of some of the awkward framing and crops (still learning to use that 135L and my other prime, the 85). I know I need to work on that. I am interested in hearing what the other problems are. Thanks as always. I know you'll give me clear and fair feedback.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ken! You've been awfully quiet for a very long time. I was wondering when you'd chime in. I'm already aware of some of the awkward framing and crops (still learning to use that 135L and my other prime, the 85). I know I need to work on that. I am interested in hearing what the other problems are. Thanks as always. I know you'll give me clear and fair feedback.

OK, Sydney. Here are the elements that really leaped at me upon the first 10-20 seconds viewing these images. They're mostly concerning avoidable distractions.

1. The woman's attire seems out of character for the nature of the scene. She appears dressed for a public viewing, but the nature of the image is a memento of pet companionship in a homey, familiar comfortable setting. Denim shirt and jeans would have been far less distracting and would have better emphasized the emotional focus of the scene.

2. Your backgrounds! Far too busy, far too saturated, far too contrasty. Every shot has loud, saturated colors and/or strong forms. Big mistake. Remember, humans immediately glom onto STRONG FORMS, followed by STRONG COLOR. That means that I took note of the backgrounds and the woman's dress long before I noticed she was petting a (uncolorful) dog.

3. Gesture. The third image is the strongest. Good eye shine in the dog, nice expression on the woman. But as with any portraiture sitting, it's the humans that cause the trouble <g>. This woman does not appear at all comfortable. Too much mugging, too much awareness of the camera, not enough involvement with the real subject, the dog. Nearly every top photographer (I've met) who shoots portraiture remarks that it takes time and skill to get your (human) subject comfortable. Off-hand, if this series in chronological order, I'd say that you might have quit just as things were getting good.

Just my thoughts for your consideration, Sydney.

Sydney Rester

OK, Sydney. Here are the elements that really leaped at me upon the first 10-20 seconds viewing these images. They're mostly concerning avoidable distractions.

1. The woman's attire seems out of character for the nature of the scene. She appears dressed for a public viewing, but the nature of the image is a memento of pet companionship in a homey, familiar comfortable setting. Denim shirt and jeans would have been far less distracting and would have better emphasized the emotional focus of the scene.

2. Your backgrounds! Far too busy, far too saturated, far too contrasty. Every shot has loud, saturated colors and/or strong forms. Big mistake. Remember, humans immediately glom onto STRONG FORMS, followed by STRONG COLOR. That means that I took note of the backgrounds and the woman's dress long before I noticed she was petting a (uncolorful) dog.

3. Gesture. The third image is the strongest. Good eye shine in the dog, nice expression on the woman. But as with any portraiture sitting, it's the humans that cause the trouble <g>. This woman does not appear at all comfortable. Too much mugging, too much awareness of the camera, not enough involvement with the real subject, the dog. Nearly every top photographer (I've met) who shoots portraiture remarks that it takes time and skill to get your (human) subject comfortable. Off-hand, if this series in chronological order, I'd say that you might have quit just as things were getting good.

Just my thoughts for your consideration, Sydney.

Great points, Ken. I would have preferred jeans and a T, but she loves that sundress and I couldn't do much once she showed up in it. I think it's cute though and informal enough that it worked ok.

The backgrounds - again I see your points and I'll work on bringing down the saturation. The client loves this location, and hence loves all the azaleas, but I totally see how they distract from the interaction. At the same time I think they're pretty :) The city is GORGeous right now.

Yes, the interactions were difficult. The dog was totally not into it so there was a lot of Becky holding the dog and looking at the camera. As a photographer I need to learn to be a better guide. The best moments were the most candid when she did forget about the camera and just love on the dog. I tried to get as many of those as possible (remember this is only a sample).

Thanks for your thoughts. I do take them to heart and I can't learn unless you share.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Just a very quick, rough sketch of an incarnation of some of my suggestions for your consideration.

123771090.jpg

What I did:

- I (obviously) de-saturated and blurred the background, greatly exaggerated for illustration here. I recommend background blurring via basic photo techniques, rather than using the synthetic sentimental vignetting I used here. An 85mm - 100mm lens with a large aperture, and pulling the subject far from the background, will do the trick.

I'd also recommend using some off-cam lights in such a location. Two small flashes, plus one reflector, should do the job nicely: one off frame-left as the key light, one above and behind the subjects as a soft hair light, and a reflector low and off frame right to control contrast. But applying a +1/3 exposure/brightness compensation to the lighting you'll also be able to further pull the subjects away from the background using a luminance difference. (Page through biz and news mags, as this is a favorite quick trick for snappers in a hurry.)

- I also de-saturated the woman's dress and adjusted your white balance. (It looked a little too orange from here.)

- As a final step I used a levels adjustment (with mask) to accentuate the dog's expression. Specifically, I -slightly- brightened the eye shine and -slightly- brightened the inflection points of the doggy smile (mouth corner and tongue).

That the client prefers a particular location for an environmental portrait is fine to the extent that it makes them feel more relaxed for the shoot. But the photo tech decisions are yours, as you're the one who's relied upon to be able to envision the final result possibilities.

Overall, though, I think you did fine, Sydney. We all strive to do "finer" or to learn new tricks.

Sydney Rester

Just a very quick, rough sketch of an incarnation of some of my suggestions for your consideration.

123771090.jpg

What I did:

- I (obviously) de-saturated and blurred the background, greatly exaggerated for illustration here. I recommend background blurring via basic photo techniques, rather than using the synthetic sentimental vignetting I used here. An 85mm - 100mm lens with a large aperture, and pulling the subject far from the background, will do the trick.

I'd also recommend using some off-cam lights in such a location. Two small flashes, plus one reflector, should do the job nicely: one off frame-left as the key light, one above and behind the subjects as a soft hair light, and a reflector low and off frame right to control contrast. But applying a +1/3 exposure/brightness compensation to the lighting you'll also be able to further pull the subjects away from the background using a luminance difference. (Page through biz and news mags, as this is a favorite quick trick for snappers in a hurry.)

- I also de-saturated the woman's dress and adjusted your white balance. (It looked a little too orange from here.)

- As a final step I used a levels adjustment (with mask) to accentuate the dog's expression. Specifically, I -slightly- brightened the eye shine and -slightly- brightened the inflection points of the doggy smile (mouth corner and tongue).

That the client prefers a particular location for an environmental portrait is fine to the extent that it makes them feel more relaxed for the shoot. But the photo tech decisions are yours, as you're the one who's relied upon to be able to envision the final result possibilities.

Overall, though, I think you did fine, Sydney. We all strive to do "finer" or to learn new tricks.

Interesting, Ken! I still have so much to learn about post processing, but I do have a couple of "70's" actions for PS that I really like as they fade colors nicely, and I loved using them on many of these pictures. Her dress just looked perfect with them. They are very reminiscent of your effort (thanks for taking the time to do that). Ironically, I thought I'd get hammered for posting those!

I created a "normal" gallery for the client and then an "experimental" where I played with different actions and tweaks. It will be interesting to see what she chooses.

Art is a funny funny and marvelous thing.