• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: lathe tool holder

Jim Galli

Lathe_1_12RossS.jpg

lathe tool holder

I always have a little trouble with Asher's categories, but I didn't set up the 8X10 and take this because I thought the world needed another record of an old lathe. Rather, I've employed every tool I have in my chest to try to make a photograph that approaches art.

I've combined light and just a hint of softness in this multi-angular scene.

Camera is the 8X10 Kodak, lens is a Ross Xpres 305mm limited to f4.5 aperture so depth of focus is very shallow. With the view camera I can adjust the depth and number of items that will be in focus somewhat, but still limited. The softness induced glow comes from messing with optical formulae. I've increased the distance between glass 1 and 2 of a 4 element lens to accomplish this.

Thought you could all use something a little different from the 8mm lenses that resolve a billion line pairs / millimeter from your fingernail that gets in the picture all the way to the moon, and the colors that drip out of the monitor onto the desk top.

Probably not :~'))

Larry Brown

I love this shot! I am a gear head and have operated similar lathes in the past, nice work and live the lighting Jim, thanks for posting!

Larry