• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

info/ opinion on older Zeiss lens

Kevin Stroud

I have an oportunity to get a carl zeiss lens is is for an old nikon film camera. Info on the lens reads carl zeiss jena 28-85mm f1.4 macro. I would like to know cuol this lens be used manualy on my D300 .I have tryed to look up info on it but have only seen one with f3.5

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Shimwell

I've never heard of it, but it seems an unlikely lens - f1.4 is much faster than any other comparable zoom I've seen. It's also not listed via google.

Zeiss made/make an 85 f1.4 lens in Contax (old) and now in Nikon, Canon and Pentax mounts. This is a manual focus prime, non-macro lens. Also, and importantly, it is not a Carl Zeiss jena lens. iirc the CZ Jena lenses originated from east germany (actually a different business I believe) and are often of lower quality than Carl Zeiss AG of Oberkochen, West Germany lenses (many of which are now made by Cosina Voigtlander in japan, alhough the 85/1.4 is still made in Oberkochen)

I'd be a bit careful and check what you are getting is what you expect first.

Mike

Kevin Stroud

thanks for your reply I am some what confused by it myself I have seen the lens and I am sure I wrote info on the front of it corectly but who knows I may have miss read it I will have another look at it to see if I can make sence of it

Kevin Stroud

Well I got this carl zeiss lens it is a jenazoom 28-85 mc macro f4.0-5.0 it is about a 9 overall glas is free from any scratches only a little sign of use on the body.As well I got a magnicon 70-210 f3.5 an a nikon 50 f1.8 all in verry good condition