• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Umbrellas

This storefront area caught my eye the other day, a variety of textures, shapes and colors all playing together to create a moment. Thought I would play with it a bit and see what it said to others. Please share.

4564471431_bf40803ffe_o.jpg

Marshall Everett The Umbrellas

Nice image.Good color,intriguing composition.I like it.The shrubbery is a bit dark but I don't believe that detracts from the image as a whole.Scratch that I just moved the monitor a bit and it came alive. :) That was an epiphany for me on how difficult it is to display an image on LCD screens.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This storefront area caught my eye the other day, a variety of textures, shapes and colors all playing together to create a moment. Thought I would play with it a bit and see what it said to others. Please share.

4564471431_bf40803ffe_o.jpg

Marshall Everett The Umbrellas

I too like the vvid colors and the strong curve as well as the sharp shadow of the frame of one umbrella. I would consider balancing this composition by a lot of blue sky or the opposite, looking at portions as individual images.

Asher

Hi,

Here is a good idea and well managed colors but i think the shrubbery is too present : it breaks the abstraction and the graphism of the whole image. Maybe another attempt with a framing which would reduce size of the shrubbery ?

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you all for the input!!
I can play with the RAW file and see what else I can come up with. That might be fun.

Marshall,

It's fun and instructive when a picture is revisited after critique. For sure your original intent might have evolved but let that be your trusted friend. In a way, feedback can be a trusted enemy if we do not keep out own concepts even closer to us!

Good luck! Waiting for the results!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Marshall

Following Cedric's comment - try a crop that retains all the right side of the picture, but cuts off the left along the retaining wall. You'll need to be just to the right of the edge of one of the umbrellas.

I think that works well andemphasises the shadow in the leading brolly making it a key part of the compositions dynamic.

Mike

Marshall

Following Cedric's comment - try a crop that retains all the right side of the picture, but cuts off the left along the retaining wall. You'll need to be just to the right of the edge of one of the umbrellas.

I think that works well andemphasises the shadow in the leading brolly making it a key part of the compositions dynamic.

Mike

Mike, I will give it a go and post as able. Thanks for the input.

fahim mohammed

I too like the vivid and contrasting colors. My suggestion would be to crop out the sky, brighten up
the shrubbery...or crop it to. Let's see how just a graphic would look.

Thanks for sharing.

Here are two crops, the first more aggressive. In the second one, I was trying to keep many of the arch patterns present.

4603306298_49dfcd2307_o.jpg

4603306440_6b268cac04_o.jpg

I darkened the shrubs and tweaked the levels as the image changed with each crop.