• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Young Woman in Cathedral at Rouen

Rachel Foster

This was the one time I really regretted not having my 5dII on the tour. This is a young woman in a beam of natural light in the cathedral at Rouen. No flash. ISO 1600, f/5.6, 1/60, handheld.

smframedmadonna.jpg

Divinity: Jacob Eliana Photography

Rachel Foster

When I saw the beam of light cutting through the murky dimness, I thought She was present myself!

I should add that other than cloning out one stray bit of light, cropping was the only edit.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nicely seen and captured, Rachel.

In a perfect world (in which none of us lives) I would only wish for two changes. First, that she did not have a string around her neck. Second, and easily fixable, that the luminance on her face was higher than on her chest.

But nicely done.

Clayton Lofgren

The light on this works well with the concept of the cathedral. A while back I posted a similar shot of a young boy lit by the TV screen he was watching. I wonder who worships what more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicely seen and captured, Rachel.

In a perfect world (in which none of us lives) I would only wish for two changes. First, that she did not have a string around her neck. Second, and easily fixable, that the luminance on her face was higher than on her chest.

But nicely done.
Both could be done, the chain should be dismissed with the new background-editing tool in CS5.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This was the one time I really regretted not having my 5dII on the tour. This is a young woman in a beam of natural light in the cathedral at Rouen. No flash. ISO 1600, f/5.6, 1/60, handheld.

smframedmadonna.jpg

smframedmadonna_adk.jpg

edited ADK

Hi Ken,

Maybe something like this is what you are contemplating. Perhaps the ear shouldn't be revealed as ts about seeing. I must admit I do prefer the image lit this way.

Was she at worship or just in awe of the art and architecture?"

Asher

Hi Rachel,

What a wonderful portrait : nice posture and light, expression, patternson her shoulder... Maybe some little defauts as noticed by Ken, but still a beautiful image.

Cedric.

Rachel Foster

I agree, it's better with the edits.

Asher, actually she's Hindu. She was a member of the tour group I was with and fell naturally in the pose when I asked her to step into the light for the image.

fahim mohammed

Rachel, welcome back.

That is a wonderful portrait. I too would brighten ( just a tad ) her facial features. Other than that I would leave it as it is. The wonder she feels is very well captured.

Try to see how a child might look at the world. You, then, have captured the soul of mankind.

Regards.

Beatiful image, Rachel.

I much prefer your original. It captures something, a feeling maybe that, for me, is totally missing in the final iteration.

Asher Kelman

Winston,

Rachel's image seems to have spirituality and wonder. One is always more secure in the original since the exact attitude and lighting qualities that do this for us are not clear. Ken looks to simplify and I experiment with possibilities.

I like the challenge, especially when it reflects on what we don't fully understand. Then we can look back at the classic devotional pictures of the great artists and, perhaps appreciate them more fully.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Winston I'm going to carefully look at both images and see if I can see what you meant. I am seriously considering submitting this one for a competition so it matters to me.

Thanks!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Original for me

I like that the luminence is higher on her neck. It looks real - I like the all knowing expression in her face. I was actually disappointed to find that she was a fellow traveller and not someone who made a pilgrimage to worship.

Eugene Ye

wonderful image. i like it very much especially on the very nice light.

i am just starting to appreciate photography, and i am wondering the shadow at the neck is so well defined and has edges that are so sharp (rectangular). the head and body look detached. i don't see any comment on this, is this something good or doesn't matter to a portrait?

nicely done portrait

wonderful image. i like it very much especially on the very nice light.

i am just starting to appreciate photography, and i am wondering the shadow at the neck is so well defined and has edges that are so sharp (rectangular). the head and body look detached. i don't see any comment on this, is this something good or doesn't matter to a portrait?

Hi Eugene,

Well observed, I can see how that may look a bit unsettling. Subconsciously it signals (to a photographer anyway) that a small/distant source of light was causing the sharp shadow/light transitions.

Cheers,
Bart