• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Blackford

890792462_fRJeY-XL.jpg

Self Portrait

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Very nice, WIlliam. Your salt-and-pepper beard really adds a significant inflection. And your right eye shining out of the shade side of your face puts a powerful punctuation on this image. It's similar to the famous self-portraits by artist Chuck Close.

Well done, William. This would typically make a good large-ish print.

Andy brown

William, I really like it.

My first instinct (before I realised it was you) was 'whoa!, wouldn't wanna meet that guy in a dark alley!' Then I thought (still not realising it was you) 'wait a minute, there's some real soul in that face, those eyes, bet he's got some stories to tell.'

A powerful and intriguing image.

I've actually wanted to do a similar style on myself, as I get older the old melon (my face) has more of life's mouldings in its creases and folds.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very nice, WIlliam. Your salt-and-pepper beard really adds a significant inflection. And your right eye shining out of the shade side of your face puts a powerful punctuation on this image. It's similar to the famous self-portraits by artist Chuck Close.

Well done, William. This would typically make a good large-ish print.

Wlliam,

I like and don't like to follow just after Ken, LOL! In the first place, his comments are more often than not spot on target and can hardly be improved without seeming to be just splitting the shaft of an arrow just for the sake of it! Well there's is more to do here. I'm glad Ken did leave some room for me to make my mark!

The use of light on the lips and by the length of the nose sets up a beautiful system of contrast and micro texture texture that's naturally seen n the "salt & pepper" beard. It's that exact apportioning and distribution of the light of the right quality that makes the image work so well.\

It seems that the skin is glistening. Did you moisten your skin? So what one light did you use and how would it come out if your face was bone dry?

Asher

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
William,
I'm sorry I haven't taken the time to compliment you on this image.
Very striking indeed!
There's something in your eyes that speak to me of a man who has weathered much in his lifetime.
If I am correct, may your future journeys be less arduous.

Ruben Alfu

Hi William,

Very well done. I like this style of portrait: simple and direct, it feels like a true "exposure" of the person. Credit to the success of this photo should be given to your model skills as well.

I'm curious about the light, is that a window reflected in your eyes?

Zaahir Essa

Great portrait! I love low-key stuff and high contrast. It seems to me the detail isn't as clear as it should be in his forehead....maybe it's just me, but somehow looks out of focus. Low-key stuff with crazy detail popping out of the darkness really stands out more. Or, it's just too early in the morning for me and I'm seeing things.

The bright eyes are cool, but his right eye may be overdone considering it is in the shadowed side. Not sure how it would look if you burn it a bit.

Otherwise, it's pretty cool. Another nice touch would be to have some (or quite a bit) of negative space around the darker side, but that's just personal preference right now :)

Cheers
Z

Prateek Dubey

890792462_fRJeY-XL.jpg

Self Portrait

Hello William.
A powerful and inspiring portrait.The eyes look like 'headlights' of a fast approaching car( in darkness). So the overall effect of the negative and positive is of power,locomotion and intent. I would, however, have preferred a little more space below the chin.Not very important but this compositional advice might bring a little more 'peace' to the image. I'm not sure whether it would be desirable...Something that you could try nevertheless...
Prateek

Mike Shimwell

Very good work William. I disagree with the comments suggesting more space - you are filling your space and that is good and appropriate.

Mike

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Great self portrait, bro. The tip of the nose looks a bit blurry and distracts a bit, since all the other parts of the face are so sharp, but anyway... It looks really nice. There is a bit of posterization on the left side of the head too and mostly among the bear and such, that could be improved but overall looks nice.

Leo :)

Charlotte Thompson

What a great and fine spirit you are!
beautiful portrait work! luv the darkness and light contrast- grrrrr I need the nx2
I know you are busy and haven't been to the thread
but good golly Miss Molly I really like this!

Charlotte-

To All who took the time to Reply:

What can I say? Thank you and Thank you again while I am at it and very possibly thank you a third time while I am thanking you a second time. There! Hopefully that rhetoric has compressed Time as it should considering how busy I've been and with that I hope the lateness of my appreciation has not be mislabeled as apathy. Indeed I am shocked at the accolades as I do not consider myself a 'subject' of art but rather a student only. Basically I'm like most people: I despise pictures of myself. But this one seemed different to me because I wasn't quite ready for the shot when I took it. Some strange part of my depressed the shutter while another part of me considered what I might accomplish with a newly acquired lens. It was a very serious thought process, this attempt to absorb all the angles, apertures, and applications of the Nikon 17-55 2.8 and the Fuji s5 pro. But I was determined, in some mad way, to garner every technique and possibility as accurately as possible, in the space of a few moments. No really, I tried! A force fed epiphany, if you will, and somewhere the photographer within me knowingly took the shot. Thus the interpretations of the expression are quite interesting because who knows what windows we open for others to see when we are so wholly concentrated. Also this was my way of rebelling against airbrushing the natural texture of human skin in digital photography. I went the other way and let the macro lens have its way and sharpened on top of that. There is a world in skin topography that allows a photo to breathe. I suggest more of it. Alas I am still short on time and intend to return to reply to everyone. Again I am shocked at so many replies!