• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LensBaby Challenge: your very best two images

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
LensBaby Challenge: your very best two images. So, what is your experience?

Please post your best 2 pictures of any subject taken any time.

This is a difficult challenge to discriminate between many attempts! However, I expect there will be very interesting pictures from everyone.

State camera and type of LensBaby and f stop, ISO and speed.

Good luck,

Asher

Last edited:

Alain Briot

pro member

Asher Kelman

Alain,

I am impressed. However, could you post just the two ou feel are your very best?

Thanks,

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
These are series so they are designed to work together. I'll try to isolate two that are my "favorites" but I won't make any promise until later on. Series are very different from single photographs. Not quite a portfolio but in the same direction while being done over a shorter span of time.

Alain Briot

pro member
These are series so they are designed to work together. I'll try to isolate two that are my "favorites" but I won't make any promise until later on. Series are very different from single photographs. Not quite a portfolio but in the same direction while being done over a shorter span of time.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Given my 'Aigues Mortes' post I feel it would be almost rude not to add to this thread, so here are my two to add to the mix....

Lytham Windmill - Canon 20D, LBaby V1, f8, 1/320s, ISO200

windmill1.jpg

Fallen Leaf - Canon 20D, LBaby V1, f8, 1/160s, ISO200

leaf1.jpg

BTW - Alain, I love your images of the 'Kyaatataypi Petroglyphs'. I came across that series of photos shorty before I obtained my Lensbaby - am aspiring to capture some images that good myself!

Asher Kelman

Andy, I was impressed with the windmill, thinking, nice colors, some interesting movement, warm, I like it. Then I saw your fallen leaf and forgot about the first picture.

This image by contrast, is neither as nice nor as pretty. However it really is impressive! It has immediacy and demands attention. There's a great sense of "strength of life" from the curving vegetation which perhaps transcends being a mere leaf. I like this very much and this is most worthy of being treasured.

Asher

Jack_Flesher

Nill: Sorry, but your 11-year-old got the winning shot. Better buy him his own camera and Lensbaby!

Andy: I like both but the leaf is spectacular -- among the best lensbaby shots I have seen. Congrats!

Cheers,

Alain Briot

pro member
Andrew Stannard said:
Hi,
Alain, I love your images of the 'Kyaatataypi Petroglyphs'. I came across that series of photos shorty before I obtained my Lensbaby - am aspiring to capture some images that good myself!

Andy,

Thank you. I like your images as well as the fact you are not afraid to take a chance with your work and try new things.

Diane Fields

Andy, I love your fallen leaf and have gone back to look at your full gallery. I probably missed the 'Aigues Mortes' you refer to while I was on vacation. I also like the last image in that gallery and was interested that you used the split toning in LR to process them (I find I'm using it some also).

Nill---your son really did do a great job with the photo of you. I agree--a camera and LB for him LOL.

Alain, I've looked at the gallery you linked to before--always an inspiration. A bit OT, but you have a really nice photo showing the first day you used your 24 TSE---that inspired me LOL.

I own an LB 2.0 but have to admit I've hardly used it except for the intial experiments I did with it. I was coveting a TS lens at the time and bought the LB to 'tide me over'--but then bought the TS anyhow. I need to get the LB out again and spend more time with it.

I suppose these are the 2 best experiments

20D not sure of f stop 1/30s iso200
53474295.jpg

and
20D probably f/2.0 1/10s iso200 (on tripod)
53474293.jpg

I've yet to try it with the 5D--that's on my list for later this month now.

Diane

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Diane,

Thank you for your compliments. I like your photographs, with a preference for the second one showing the pot with the Native American design.

Asher Kelman

The standard of photography jumped 10 fold here! I think it must be because we have to stop, think and then select from different possibilities. I'm so impressed. Anyone else agree with me?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I am much impressed too, Asher, and I agree with you. However, don't you think that talking about a 10-fold increase is kind of unfair to all the great photos posted previously? (writes smilingly).

Cheers all, and have a great Monday (which is just starting here),

Cem

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Thanks for the comments on the my fallen leaf pic - much appreciated. It was actually one of about 10 that I took, experimenting with different compositions and f-stops. As I'm sure others will agree though, even with an identical compostions a lens baby will never produce 2 pictures that are identical!

Nil - I'd have to agree with others in that the picture your son took is my favourite. A real sense of intimacy in my opinion. I am also rather fond of the team talk picture - the Lensbaby look compliments the 'togetherness' of a team huddle.

Diane - Both those pictures are really nice. In contrast to Alain I think I prefer the pumkin image, finding the colors in particular really appealing.

As for Asher's ten-fold increase....

I personally do find that when using a Lensbaby I am forced to concentrate on what I really want the image to be about. With a more 'normal' lens I can sometimes find myself thinking: 'oh, that a pretty scene, let's take a picture of that', without pasuing for long enough to consider the interactions between various elements of the picture, and what it is I want my viewer to look at.

I find that the Lensbaby almost forces these considerations upon me, and make me think more about the picture. Of course if you get it wrong then it can look very wrong indeed (as quite a few of my attempts have done!)

Anyone agree or just random waffle? :)

Asher Kelman

Andy,

All I know is that the pictures here are outstanding. I would imagine that only in the Macro section has this standard been reached! That's just my quick impulsive impression. However, I'm very proud that we have a bunch of guys who can do this level of work. Thank to every one of you! This is what it's all about.

Oh, for the people who haven't posted, please don't be inhibited! There's a lot more, I know!

Asher

Diane Fields

Andrew Stannard said:
Hi,

I personally do find that when using a Lensbaby I am forced to concentrate on what I really want the image to be about. With a more 'normal' lens I can sometimes find myself thinking: 'oh, that a pretty scene, let's take a picture of that', without pasuing for long enough to consider the interactions between various elements of the picture, and what it is I want my viewer to look at.

I find that the Lensbaby almost forces these considerations upon me, and make me think more about the picture. Of course if you get it wrong then it can look very wrong indeed (as quite a few of my attempts have done!)

Anyone agree or just random waffle? :)

Andrew--though mine were just experiments right here in my home and I haven't used the LB in the field at all (what a shame), I have to agree. I use my TS in a similar way more than 50% of the time and I spend a great deal of time composing, selecting the area of focus, adjusting the rotation of the lens for the 'cone' of focus I want and choosing the aperture for the amount of 'blur' (but find it harder to choose a subject I think works with the effect--as I would with the LB also--and haven't found one that I'm really happy with yet--very unlike your leaf which I really love).

I think the reason I gave up on the LB so quickly is that I did get the TS in short order---and that it is somewhat physically difficult for me to hold the lens for the focus I want and press the shutter button also. The one of the pots was done on tripod esp. since it was quite low light. The other is handheld as I recall, but maybe not. I need to work on the technique more for sure as there is quite a bit to be explored--I have the macro and WA converters to use with my LB too---so it needs to go in the bag again and be tried with the 5D.

Diane

Asher Kelman

Diane Fields said:
\I have the macro and WA converters to use with my LB too---so it needs to go in the bag again and be tried with the 5D.

Diane
Diane, who supplies these?

Asher

Tom Henkel

Two of mine...

For me, the jury is still out on this lens. I like the effects. But even when you nail the focus, it isn't that sharp. I sometimes come home with Lensbaby shots that I basically like, but kind of wish I had used a convential lens and added some effects in PS.

Daisy

64695221.jpg

Spooky Cemetery (hey, Halloween is comming)

67767657.jpg

A couple more here: http://www.pbase.com/thenkel/lensbaby_shots

Diane Fields

Nill Toulme said:
Diane have you seen the new LensBaby 3G that holds itself in place for you?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nill, I did see the review and read more about it on the LB site. It may be the answer for me---OR--I can work more on my technique. I discovered that I can hold it better with 2 fingers in front and move the focus area--on the 20D. Haven't tried it on the 5D but will.

Asher, I bought them from the LB site in accessories I think. Work decently.
http://lensbabies.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=6

Diane

Tom Henkel

One tip............................................... ....

Diane Fields said:
Nill, I did see the review and read more about it on the LB site. It may be the answer for me---OR--I can work more on my technique. I discovered that I can hold it better with 2 fingers in front and move the focus area--on the 20D. Haven't tried it on the 5D but will.

I've had my best success with this lens by using a monopod (with a 1DMk2). The monopod helps hold the camera steady while you fiddle with the effect/focus. Also you can rock back and forth with the monopod and fine tune the focus a bit.

Diane Fields

Good tip Tom, thanks. I do have a monopod. I shot most of my 'experiments' on a tripod (quite low light), but the mono seems like a good idea and I'll try it.

Diane

Asher Kelman said:
Diane, who supplies these?

Asher,

I am not sure about the WA converters, but I got a free set of macro converters with mine and they are simply a set of dioptric correction lenses (close up filters).

enjoy,

Sean

Alain Briot

pro member
The addition of the wide and tele converters and of the 3G make the lensbaby a lot more versatile. However, personally, what I like about it is the simplicity of the original model, either version 1.0 or 2.0

Incidentally, I can't see a difference between the two versions. 2.0 may be sharper, but the photos are so blurred that it hardly matters in my estimate. Unsharpness is a quality for lesnbaby, not a defect ;-)

On the other hand, the wide angle & telephoto adapters open up new avenues for creativity.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Tom Henkel said:
But even when you nail the focus, it isn't that sharp.

That's the point of that lens, isn't it? It's taking us back to the times before big computers were able to come up with very complex lens calculations, CAD-driven machines could actually manufacture the very unusual individual lenses, manifold coatings became were available, and sophisticated algorithms made AF workable in every field. In short: it's back to the 30s-50s.

As may have been surmised from my posted images, my takes on optimisation challenges and my messages here, I am not that much nterested in special effects, but the Lensbaby - like a fisheye - can be used quite creatively without relying on its corner unsharpness. The pictures uin this thread show that, not least yours. Actually got my own just today, haven't done anything with it, yet, anxious, though, on what I can do with it.

Alain Briot

pro member
I didn't have time to work on this so far. Very very busy right now with the upcoming book and much more. Here goes:

_H6T2558-2.jpg

and

_H6T2677-2.jpg

Tom Henkel

Dierk Haasis said:
That's the point of that lens, isn't it? It's taking us back to the times before big computers were able to come up with very complex lens calculations, CAD-driven machines could actually manufacture the very unusual individual lenses, manifold coatings became were available, and sophisticated algorithms made AF workable in every field. In short: it's back to the 30s-50s.

As may have been surmised from my posted images, my takes on optimisation challenges and my messages here, I am not that much nterested in special effects, but the Lensbaby - like a fisheye - can be used quite creatively without relying on its corner unsharpness. The pictures uin this thread show that, not least yours. Actually got my own just today, haven't done anything with it, yet, anxious, though, on what I can do with it.

Dierk,

I guess I agree -- sort of. I like the creative aspects of this lens. It's fun to use, and you can get some very unique shots using this lens. Your point about the Lensbaby being a throwback to photography in the 1930s is a good point. I'll have to think about using it to achieve a "vintage" look.

But in some cases, it would be nice to be able to get a central subject of an image in crisp(er) focus, while still being able to leverage the special effects this lens offers. I guess that is part of the intent of the 3G version. My comment/complaint was that it sure seems that even when you get the focus perfect, it still is kind of soft. And that limits its range of usefulness.

I'm not one of those people who believes every image has to be tack sharp in order to be good. But in context with the other great lenses on the market, I think there is a certain expectation of sharpness for some types of photography. There are certainly cases where a deliberately soft image works very well. But in other cases, like product photography, there is an expectation of sharpness. And, at least so far, I've found that level of sharpness difficult to achieve with the Lensbaby.

As you said, like a fish eye lens, this is a specialized product that has appropriate applications. My frustration is it would be fun to try the effects achievable with this lens in a variety of situations. But it just doesn't seem sharp enough to use in some cases.

Tom