• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Life Force

Martin Evans

I found this poor onion, forgotten in a corner of our chaotic kitchen. In spite of dessication and mutilation of its stem, the brave bulb was struggling to live! It had put out new green shoots and they were even bending up towards the light. Alas, we peeled, fried and ate it last night.

onion_4929.jpg

onion_4936.jpg

Photos taken on a Canon PowerShot A620, aperture priority f/8, exposures 1/6 and 1/5 sec (both overexposed by 2/3), ISO 100, lens focal lengths 17.3 and 14.9 mm.

Although I like the composition, especially the top image, the sharpness is disappointing. As a beginner with digital I am still using an A620 Canon compact. It's a good little camera to take on holiday, but in these photos the DoF is inadequate. It cannot stop down below f/8 so although the centre is very sharp the near and far points are not. The good Tamron SP macro lens (90mm f/2.5), that I used to use with 35mm, had a normal limit of f/22 with f/32 also available. Frustrating.