• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hiding/climbing

Jarmo Juntunen

Daddy, I can see you...

_small.jpg

Same girl, though less spooky:

_small.jpg

Thank you for watching!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These kids are delightful. Think of adding some zest and snap by adding some contrast via a gentle S curve or simply contrast. Sharpening too might be helpful.

Asher

Great, I see you have now done it and it's 10 times more impressive! now the Golden mean itself shines in that composition!

Last edited:
Hi Jarmo,

Besides the fact that you have a lovely daughter, what I also like from a compositional point of view is that you achieved to position the main subject off-center. Whether by viewfinder composition or post cropping, that's a very important step in making better images. It forces one to think about positioning/composition, and often produces a more dynamic image.

Well done.

Cheers,
Bart

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi guys, thank you ever so much! Great advice from Asher and words any father is pleased to read from Bart : - ). Actually, I was aiming at a traditional golden mean composition with these and to my great pleasure they required only little cropping afterwards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys, thank you ever so much! Great advice from Asher and words any father is pleased to read from Bart : - ). Actually, I was aiming at a traditional golden mean composition with these and to my great pleasure they required only little cropping afterwards.
The great lesson from classical art is to distribute importance with clues of sharpness, color, contrast and composition. Making everything even should be a design of the mind, an exception for a reason, not how one presents a picture. Getting to that point faster, one can use shallow focus with wide aperture. With a means of moving the sharp region to where you need it, one can

• Shoot with even sharpness and afterwards, select that local area in Photoshop using some tool and sharpen

• Use a tilt shift lens wide open and move the sharpest area to your subject, off center

• Use a large format camera with the same

• Center the important feature in a wider framing and in any software, crop to the Golden Mean

Unless you are very well trained, allocating importance will be easier in software. However, the more we can use our own brains beforehand, the better pictures! Ideally, any good lab should be able to print our pictures. For most of us, some final work is needed before that. The idea is to minimize that.

Asher