• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kafka

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Just taken this shot of the lead singer from a UK music group called Kafka:

4700708488_82568342d2_b.jpg

Matt Halstead: The lead Singer; Kafka

Feedback more than welcome.

Matt

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Matt,

You can't simply show us a guy of a group called Kafka, of all things, without telling us something about him and his music. Kafka is a literary figure who expressed his tormented life of not being able to please his bullying father and having to work in a boring job when he wanted to be free to create. He dealt with the oppressive modern vertical society where structure and job gives officials and bureaucrats the rights and inclination to use treat individuals callously and even arrest them for some trumped up charge or squash them like a cockroach.

I'd love to know more about this group. Is this just a catchy name for them or do they have some related philosophy or insights on life that's worth knowing?

I see he has a scar below his left eye, and over his left lip. Perhaps a motor vehicle accident or less likely a fight. His right eye seems to show a pterygium, a growth of white tissue progressing towards his iris, a sign of exposure to dust. So perhaps he rides a motor cycle or worked in construction of plays tennis a lot!

You have caught a strong expression. Is this his stage persona or him the man?

Asher

P.S. I found this link to an Australian group of musicians who appear to really be able to play off one another in a fresh improvisational way.

Prateek Dubey

Matt,

You can't simply show us a guy of a group called Kafka, of all things, without telling us something about him and his music. Kafka is a literary figure who expressed his tormented life of not being able to please his bullying father and having to work in a boring job when he wanted to be free to create. He dealt with the oppressive modern vertical society where structure and job gives officials and bureaucrats the rights and inclination to use treat individuals callously and even arrest them for some trumped up charge or squash them like a cockroach.

I'd love to know more about this group. Is this just a catchy name for them or do they have some related philosophy or insights on life that's worth knowing?

I see he has a scar below his left eye, and over his left lip. Perhaps a motor vehicle accident or less likely a fight. His right eye seems to show a pterygium, a growth of white tissue progressing towards his iris, a sign of exposure to dust. So perhaps he rides a motor cycle or worked in construction of plays tennis a lot!

You have caught a strong expression. Is this his stage persona or him the man?

Asher

P.S. I found this link to an Australian group of musicians who appear to really be able to play off one another in a fresh improvisational way.

Hello Asher,
That's some observation. I really had to search for the scar on the lip. And pterygium is still eluding me. Anyways, just the head shot seems to be an incomplete picture. Perhaps a little background consequent to the content of his creation might've made a more compelling picture.
Prateek

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Asher,
That's some observation. I really had to search for the scar on the lip. And pterygium is still eluding me.

Above left lip in moustache, a vertical scar line. Look at the eyes you will see an encroachment of white reflective material on the iris.

Anyways, just the head shot seems to be an incomplete picture. Perhaps a little background consequent to the content of his creation might've made a more compelling picture.

Prateek,

The constricted space around the head does increase the density of importance. We are a little uncomfortable at such close range. If you want to see this effect even stronger, look at the self-portrait of Blackford. An eye-staring face posed 12 inches from yours can seem hostile and confrontational. So, this is not a laid back casual pose or a reserved image of the man. This picture demands that the subject is considered seriously.

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Hmmm, That's a sound perspective.... My point was that those who don't know the work of Kafka, wouldn't know about it by just looking at his 'isolated' portrait. Maybe an appropriate makeup can add to the narrative.

Matt Halstead

Apologies Asher, my first post was sent via my mobile so I was limited on what i could type!

I am familiar with Kafka, although will admit that i have not ready any of his works (a literary void i will soon fill).

I know for a fact that the subject of this photo did have a difficult up bringing, and did gain notoriety for being a 'fighter'.

I doubt very much that the name 'Kafka' has been used on a whim, as the subject is actually the entirety of the band - there are no other members, so i suspect that the title was chosen after careful consideration.

Prateek, i don't normally like adding additional elements to my portraits as i like the viewer to be entirely focused on the subject, more so in this shot to emphasise the intensity of the subject.

Thanks,