• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old and older

Jarmo Juntunen

Well, here goes... my first pics for C&C. I've always liked old, even obsolete stuff. Things that seem to be able to tell a story or two. I stumbled across this near pre-historic skiing gear and thought they looked fascinating. Thank you for watching and, hopefully, commenting.

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I'm on the run so my remarks have to be brief.

Old cross-country skis and poles...from Finland...unexpected...shocking! ;-> Hey, they can't be too "prehistoric". I'd guess they date to the 1950's.

I wonder if you've really explored these objects to convey they beauty of form and craftsmanship? Take time with them to consider what's important. Take them down and touch them, look at them in various light. I think you can find better portrayals. Not necessarily more sentimental or romantic, just more expressive.

Jarmo Juntunen

I'm on the run so my remarks have to be brief.

Old cross-country skis and poles...from Finland...unexpected...shocking! ;-> Hey, they can't be too "prehistoric". I'd guess they date to the 1950's.

:)! Still, I think there's plenty to explore in one's surroundings and not everything that makes a good picture needs to be something out of the ordinary. Appreciate your comments, thank you!

Ruben Alfu

Hi Jarmo,

I think this is the type of photos that support a story, they complement, they add comments and clues, like in a photo essay, in such a context is wehre I see a strong potential for these photos.

Of minor importance, just an aesthetic consideration, the out of focus area in the first photo is too broad and prominent. It would make more sense to me to have the pole in the foreground in perfect focus and keep the others at acceptable focus with a deeper DOF.

Alain Briot

pro member
They do look 'prehistoric' when compared to today's gear. Leather and wood vs carbon fiber and titanium!

These do lend themselves to a project in which each photo shows part of a larger subject. Somewhere between art and documentary.

A comparison between prehistoric and contemporary gear would be very interesting I think !

Jarmo Juntunen

Hello all, thank you for the comments! Actually, I'm planning a small project with (or around) these pictures. Something to do with forgotten things people use to fill up all their storage space... shouldn't be too difficult to find subjects to shoot!