• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Untitled

Charlotte Thompson

I realize this may be dark for many-daring for others-
It is my own compostion series-everything created by me, my, mine-
I wanted to do something with this bottle of Vodka given to me by a friend for some dry martini-so unusual that bottle- so one night -late I had the idea to create a scene- this can be read in many ways-
the ps work was intentionally for the dark idea of "whatever any one may see in it-
I leave it to you-

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0349-1.jpg

DSC_0348-2.jpg

Ruben Alfu

Hi Charlotte,

Your kid holding a bottle of vodka in an ambiguous condition... my mind can't handle that. Your kids are a theme I'm familiar with. All I remember from you kids is decisively good, happy and beautiful. What happened? Where this came from?

Wow...how beautifully unusual and daring. All it needs is a caption' America Please: Lower the Drinking Age' But really, this speaks of you in all kinds of independent thinking. I love it as a series also instead of one photo. Just excellent. Oh also another caption: 'America stop drinking, if not for yourself, then for him.' ahahahahh....Of course he could drive one to drink but ah, only when he gets his license and directions to the liquor store!

William

Charlotte Thompson

Ruben
I assure you the children are more than fine.

Was my idea to turn the page- my creation to look at children and art/photograpghy another way
this was created totally by me
the boy came in from competition very tired he had such a great natural look- the bottle I love and wanted to do something a bit diffrent- then the idea came- so I started it-
what it says is much-no? what it could say is much more-I do love creative art-
children do not alwats have to be smiling- the world does and doesn't smile-
I have looked at photographers do amazing works with children and they are for me incredible
I am working at my art
most I love to create what I want to say
thank you for coming by! I appreciate your thoughts

William

Of course-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have looked at photographers do amazing works with children and they are for me incredible
I am working at my art
most I love to create what I want to say​

So Charlotte,

What is it you are saying here?

DSC_0348-2.jpg

I adore the gentility. I object to the bottle unless you have a title to tell us otherwise. I suspect it.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Greetings Asher,

I am curious, not to hijack Charlotte's thread, as to what you mean by those three words: I suspect it?

No worry, William, this is what the thread is about. The picture has a child holding a vodka bottle gently. There is no title. We do not know the motivations. However we do know the great risk vodka is to families and folk reaching their potential. I suspect this like I suspect a child posing with an assault rifle. I'm against having children hug any such items!

Asher

Curious:

The photographs are indeed open to interpretation. Since they are potentially disturbing pending an explanation, they do present a window into how we react. I am reminded of a scene from the film, 'Magnolia' by director Paul Thomas Anderson. In an opening scene Julianne Moore is filling a prescription for very powerful painkillers... The pharmacist, well here is the scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPcQp-aKeQ

It turns out the assumptive nature of the pharmacists were just that. Her husband was dying of cancer just as some families are dying of alcoholism by especially not seeing the effect it might have on their children. My hopefully sobering and assumptive 2 cents....

Asher Kelman

The photographs are indeed open to interpretation. Since they are potentially disturbing pending an explanation, they do present a window into how we react. I am reminded of a scene from the film, 'Magnolia' by director Paul Thomas Anderson. In an opening scene Julianne Moore is filling a prescription for very powerful painkillers... The pharmacist, well here is the scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPcQp-aKeQ

It turns out the assumptive nature of the pharmacists were just that. Her husband was dying of cancer just as some families are dying of alcoholism by especially not seeing the effect it might have on their children. My hopefully sobering and assumptive 2 cents....

William,

That really is a silly clip! I've prescribed more narcotics than most folk have had good meals. No one ever had an issue with properly written prescriptions for narcotics. A new prescription may not be stocked, of course, but for a patient with cancer, that's really routine. That movie depiction is so unrealistic. If their was a dying husband, she'd have been in before. If the guy was new, he's find that out in a second on the computer or with one glance by the pharmacist. Now if that was a teenager asking for a packet of condoms in a Catholic school gift store, it might work as an interesting movie clip!

So what of having a child cherish a bottle of Vodka in sensual innocence? I'll explain. We don't want to condition children that the vodka bottle is anything to be admired, respected orc cherished.

Do you know that one of the most significant reasons for talented creatives not making it is not their lack of talent or good fortune or even absence of persistence? Rather it's alcohol or drugs. Unless I was trying to create a frightening poster for parents, (to terrify them from alcohol use, a silly idea), and had it titled appropriately, such a picture would never be constructed by me. The more gentle the hands holding the Vodka, the worse this is for me as something we want to have children participate with in our society. I feel this use of a child borders on exploitation. That's not my considered opinion after several days weighty deliberation, just my well-honed gut feeling, and immediate ideas of right and wrong, my consequent thoughts and concern.

Asher

Exploitation, bordering or otherwise, is a strong statement, Asher. Where that line is drawn is where censorship is born. First and foremost I would like to say the protection of children should always take precedence over anything else. But when is a cry of 'Save the Children' cloaking the truer cry of 'The message you are sending is making me uncomfortable'? The message is provocative, there's no denying that, but we must take pains to not damage that child's future expressions by creating a world where expression must be in an easy to swallow format.
But to the issue at hand: Was this child, deliberately or unintentionally, exploited?

Main Entry: exploit
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: take advantage of; misuse
Synonyms: abuse, apply, avail oneself of, bleed, capitalize on, cash in on, employ, exercise, finesse, fleece, get mileage out of, handle, impose upon, jockey, make capital of, make use of, maneuver, manipulate, milk, mine*, play on, play*, profit by, profit from, put to use, skin*, soak*, stick*, use, utilize, work

I have chosen to use a Thesaurus due to the broad interpretative nature of the term. But by now, after one has read the list of synonyms, I hope it is clear that any artistic use of a child can be termed as exploitative according to the subjectivity of the accuser. The high school students smoking pot in the film, 'The Breakfast Club'--A child (maybe eight years of age) pointing a gun at his brother in the film, 'The River's Edge'--The Todd Solondz film 'Happiness' presents a scene of unparalleled horror to the observer when a child is staring into a toilet at the blood from his bowels. He does not comprehend that he has been drugged and raped by an adult. Gangsters in films using children as human shields...etc etc.

These are all forms of entertainment and to provoke can be to entertain.

If you meant abused when you used the term 'exploited' then I see no abuse of a child here. If you meant his image was 'misused' then you state ill-gotten gains by the photographer and isn't that a matter open to interpretation? I, for one, see a message here against alcoholism. To see the child....'cherish a bottle of Vodka in sensual innocence is only a very small part of the picture in my mind but can emotionally blind us to the rest of the message. His face is dubious or guilt ridden as to the usefulness of the concoction in the photographs. But then he seems curious in another. What this stirs is our protectiveness and for me, it repaves my understanding of how deep alcohol is entrenched in human affairs. It brings it home in a way never before and I thank the photographer for that and for the courage of the method of ingress. The soft lighting, the allure of alcohol, the attack on our own innocence: It's all there, not as an endorsement, but simply as an eye opener. If we look, we notice the doors of perception are swung wide open, again, due to our protectiveness of the subject.

I applaud your protectiveness Asher. I would also, however, imagine a more broad minded appreciation of what art can be. Nonetheless please check the inside of your cheek: You might find a fish hook, line and sinker there with a note attached to it that says: Untitled -------*smiles*

Charlotte Thompson

The forum is "Riskit" so I took a risk

The idea behind the series here is to delve into and out of what "we want to see such as HallMark"
the hallmark idea of children and what they are exposed to-we see more alcohol advertiz's on tv more than ever
maybe children see these more than ever- The sad effects of alcohol -what it does to a family-what it could be doing to the children-why not bring to attention in a created photo such a statement- pictures are a very powerful mirror to humanity- we don't want to look do we but if we do look maybe we could change as a species and do know harm

life is a blind reality sometimes and we want to make sure it stays that way especially for our children
but these types of dreams harm-
I would love for them to live in a dream fantasy but then when they grow up and face the world they would indeed be crushed instead of armed- armed with knowledge-

I love the work of Sally Mann-she makes such statement in her work-"Immediate Family" which was shown @ Edwynn Houk Gallery- for her true sense of humanity and vision I applaud her!

Charlotte-

fahim mohammed

Charlotte...I find this to be a very gentle and beautifully executed photograph.

As to Chopin, a brilliant Polish composer and pianist, who died at an early age of pulmonary tuberculosis. Maybe nothing to do with Polish Vodka but to his many romantic associations in Paris.

Asher Kelman

The forum is "Riskit" so I took a risk

As such, Charlotte, this is you own playground to stretch butterfly wings. The risk is you might be subject to strong critique, but so be it! Your job is to focus on expressing your imagination in a strong way that will have some lasting to value to you and hopefully others too.

The idea behind the series here is to delve into and out of what "we want to see such as HallMark"
the hallmark idea of children and what they are exposed to-we see more alcohol advertiz's on tv more than ever
maybe children see these more than ever-

This might well come clearer from a body of work. Right now there's just one image on the borders of imagination and exploitation. It is not enough to have no title. Your previous work is silent on the twists you suggest in a child's tryst with such a tempting darkside of human behavior.

The sad effects of alcohol -what it does to a family-what it could be doing to the children-why not bring to attention in a created photo such a statement- pictures are a very powerful mirror to humanity- we don't want to look do we but if we do look maybe we could change as a species and do know harm

We're unlikely to change as a species, LOL!

life is a blind reality sometimes and we want to make sure it stays that way especially for our children
but these types of dreams harm-
I would love for them to live in a dream fantasy but then when they grow up and face the world they would indeed be crushed instead of armed- armed with knowledge-

Charlotte.

This, picture, when seen by a child, as is, is not going to help guide the child's attitude to the world of alcohol. The message is likely to be far too confusing! For a teenager, however, this might be a good tool for a class discussion with a well-prepared and teacher.

I love the work of Sally Mann-she makes such statement in her work-"Immediate Family" which was shown @ Edwynn Houk Gallery- for her true sense of humanity and vision I applaud her!

Charlotte,

It's valuable to have as measures of worth, the achievements of others arrayed before us to give us focus and something to try to approach and who knows, even perhaps eclipse. Sally Mann makes for one great inspiration and if she is anywhere near your gaol posts, your journey will be at the very least exciting.

Asher

Charlotte-[/QUOTE]