• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Night Photo

Erick Fromm

I went out last night waiting for the moon to rise at the lake. And I spied this life guard stand. The light caught my eye so I shot it. What do you guys think? I like the way the wall and the life guard station reflect the light. I am going to go back and re shoot it again the next time I get a chance. The moon got blocked out by the clouds so this was my only photo for the night. I guess I will have too wait till next month to get my photo.
DSC_0033.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Erick, looks like a great spot. This picture, be it the starting point for the final image, shows good potential. I really like the clouds and the night sky. What I don't like is the composition - to me this picture seems to have too much of everything. I'd like to see you concentrate either on the life guard stand, the wall or the beach. Anyway, well done!

Erick Fromm

Thanks for the reply! I agree the subject needs work. I will try and see what I can do the next time I go. I did not spend as much time as I should have looking for photo opportunities. The moon rising I was looking for and the police running people off the beach made me bail earlier than I wanted too. I am gonna try to get back one more time this week.

This is one other photo from last night of the coeur d alene Resort.With no post processing.
DSC_0006.jpg

fahim mohammed

I like the way you are going. Two suggestions, if I may...Could you try to clone out the distant lights
in the photo above.

I would move in closer still, given what is around. Are you shooting on a tripod? What aperture are you
using. I find the main subject maybe a bit off focus? It could be my eyes too!

I also find my nights a little darker suit me. Just a tad for the dusk?

Regards.

Erick Fromm

I am shooting on a tripod. And my f stop was 5.6 for 30 seconds. And I am using a 35mm 1.8 lens. I am thinking it may be a little out of focus because of the long exposure. And I also thought the lights were a little distracting. I will remove them. Next time I go down I will try to get a little closer to the tower. Thanks for all the input!!

John Angulat

pro member
I went out last night waiting for the moon to rise at the lake. And I spied this life guard stand. The light caught my eye so I shot it. What do you guys think? I like the way the wall and the life guard station reflect the light. I am going to go back and re shoot it again the next time I get a chance. The moon got blocked out by the clouds so this was my only photo for the night. I guess I will have too wait till next month to get my photo.
DSC_0033.jpg

Hi Erick,
I agree with Jarmo's comment - a bit too much going on within the image.
I tried a crop to isolate the stand, cloned out the electrical wire, eliminated the stray softdrink can at the stand's base and toned down the white hot spot just below the seat.
Thoughts?

DSC_0033-after.jpg

Erick Fromm

Very nice! I like! The clouds and sky really add to it. I can see that I will be going back to take some more photos of that stand. I am thinking of using my 18-55mm and laying in the sand with a patched cloudy sky. So that you see mostly the stand and the clouds, and less of everything else going on in the background. Thanks for your response it has helped me too see where this photo can go!