• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portfolio help needed

Ivan Garcia

Hi all.
I though of starting this thread, so that I don’t pollute the rest.
I am in the process of getting back to college for my arts degree.
As a mature student, one of the requirements for my acceptance is a large portfolio.
I’ve got a few decent shots from my film days; I don’t have a scanner so I will present those in their original format.
This thread will have several digital images, for which I will be asking advice.
The resulting worked images will be posted for scrutiny.
My server has limited space, so once I start running out of it, only the best versions will prevail, the rest I will put in to archive, and post them back as needed. (it will take 2-3 hundred images before I have to start that process so we should be allright)
Raw files, when required, will be available for limited periods (they do eat a lot of space).
Most of the pictures are of my immediate family and friends. (I know the subjects well and I don’t have to chase them for model release forms), macro shots, motor sports, and landscapes.
I’ll start the ball rolling with a picture I’ve been working on, although I am happy with the main subject, Asher has raised a very good point; the water needs to be optimised, so I need advice on how to do this without affecting the rest of the image.
Kind regards
IGD

ivanbwc1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Lashier

Ivan Garcia said:
Asher has raised a very good point; the water needs to be optimised, so I need advice on how to do this without affecting the rest of the image.
Masking again, where's the raw?

- DL

Ivan Garcia

Hi Don.
I knew you will be the first to assist. :)
Here is the Raw I will make it available for 3 days.
I have masked the water and painted the lot black, but I don’t like the results. It just makes the water darker... What is it that needs to be improved in the water? And once I apply the mask… how do I go about improving it?
Here is the XMP file (right click, save target as) so that your crop matches mine
Kind regards
Ivan (IGD)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirk Thompson

Places like Brooks (and I wouldn't recommend them) probably would like a portfolio suggesting diversity; but when most photography programs & aart schools ask to look at your portfolio, they don't really focus on how well you're developing/processing the particular image. Instead, they're usually hoping you'll assemble a portfolio in this sense:

“The notion of a body of work - a group of pictures greater than the sum of its parts, unified often by theme and always by style and sensibility - is fundamental to the modern art of photography.” (Peter Galassi, "Friedlander," p. 14.)

You can certainly work with images of your family & friends - Emmet Gowin and Nicholas Nixon have done inspiring work that way - but it's really your skill & consistency in seeing, editing, and sequencing that an admissions committee is likely to focus on.

I suggest you follow Galassi's idea & go for unity, perhaps of theme & certainly of style & sensibility, in a coherent 'body of work.' To do this you might post a well-chosen edition of your images on a website like Flikr that can hold a bunch of them at once, & then ask people to help you to narrow it down further. That'll probably help you more than posing such specific questions as how to get the water right.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ivan,

Some schools are really an P.I.A. when it comes to admitting students. They sometimes demand a portfolio that meets their own obscure standards that depend on what their insiders know. A student I know had his mothers production house prepare his portfolio and even he had a video professionally edited. I was shocked but he's in a fine school now.

Some of he elite scools have staff you can meet with to advise on what is needed. You can spend an aweful amount of time but this should be focused.

Now, I only know about the Los Angeles area and not Brooks.

It's a hard job but doable. The other approach is to assist a super guy. I get the impression that in the U.K. there is a sort of structure to this with titles. However, a lot of great photographers are either self taught or aprenticed with several established guys. Your portfolio could also get you entrance this way. Also you would be paid.

One issue is your age and whether an established photgrapher would take someone who wasn't in their 20's.

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Thank you guys.
It is precisely because they are so very fussy with whom they admit at college, that I want to present my portfolio in the best way I can.
I've been working on the above picture for 2 days now, and I can't seem to find the right combination, nothing I've done today pleases me, so I am a bit disheartened, and don't feel like talking much, I do appreciate your wise advice though, and don't want you guys to feel I am been ungrateful, I just feel a bit down, I should be all right tomorrow after a good night sleep.
Once again thank you all for your kind input.
Kind Regards
Ivan (IGD)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ivan,

No one every even thinks you might be ungrateful! You deserve a respite! When is your portfolio due?

Also where are you located? Maybe you can sit down with someone and in an hour get the basics of a portfolio mapped out.

First write down the college requirement specifications on size, theme, B&W v color, presentation (CD v prints and how mounted and deadlines.).

I'd divide the job into selecting images, getting them into several themes, planning how they'll be cropped and optimized, then planning your schedule.

I'd get them printed at Costco with one of their great printers and then put them in a great album and have a slide show too, according to what the specifications of the college are.

You would be best to have help of a kind photographer or graphic artist to steer you through.
The are counsellors at schools that can some times help you stay on the right track.

You'll do fine.

Asher

Ivan,
I honestly don't see any problem in masking water out in this particular case.
The selection simply consists of two parts, the upper, with hair, and the lower, which start about the top of his ears and down.

In the first - upper - part, there is only blue water and the dark hair.
You can use ANY tool to separate them: Magic Wand, color selection, shadow/highlights - possibilities are numerous.

The bottom part provides us with a clearly defined smooth line of a boys face. Both Pen and Magnetic lasso will do the job just fine.

Combine two selections and you get the boy separate and the water separate.

Is that what you want?

Don Lashier

Ivan, I've done a quick masking example. As Nikolai said, there are a zillion ways to "short-cut" to a mask without tedious painting. You've just got to experiment and see what works. In this case, I spent only a couple minutes on the below example - it took me longer to construct this descriptive image than it did to do the original work on your image. I didn't concern myself too much with making adjustments but rather the masking process itself. In some cases I will blur a mask after creating it, but in this case I didn't find it necessary.

ivan-pool-masking.jpg

- DL

Ivan Garcia

Thank you Don.
Although is not the masking I was having trouble with, your graphical demonstration has made me realise what it is that needs to be improved on the water front.
Your masking tutorial is very helpful too, as I am relying too much on my fluid mask software to do it for me.
My portfolio is due for December, so plenty of time, I am not completely sure what format they want so, I shall arrange a meeting with them to discus the matter.
Thank you again for your kind help.
Ivan (IGD)
Ps: Felling a lot better today after a long sleep, my business and my love for photography is taking a heavy toll on my energy levels, (note to self, pace your self)