• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3 Places

Ian Houston

So this is my first, but here it goes

Picture%20018.jpg

DSCN0571.JPG

DSCN0280.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ian,

They look interesting, but are a little hard to see at their current size.

You might want to try posting them about 700-900 pixels wide.

I also suggest that you center them (just use the same icon you would use to center text) - the landlord likes it that way, and this will save him the trouble of changing it!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Picture%20018.jpg

Ian,

Welcome to OPF and thanks for sharing these three pictures. When folk first arrive at OPF, we might see a bunch of unrelated pictures together. most often it's an accident as we like to comment on pictures and deal with one theme that relates sets of images. Most often we get new photographers to split up their early images so that we can give attention to disparate subjects, each in its own place. Here, there's a chance that it's different. Looking at your quote from Oscar Wilde

"It is through Art and through Art only that we can realize our perfection; through Art and Art only that we can shield ourselves from the sordid perils of actual existence." , I guess that the three should be taken together. Of course they might be random, but I think not.

Anyway, let take the risk and imagine then that these pictures should be considered together. The controlling idea might indeed relate to our "perilous existence" The first photograph shows a barn or house with a window opening that is shuttered against the outside world. The paint on the walls is flaking. We see remnants of ivy that has died long ago. So this is perhaps society that has some age to it. Things have happened. Maybe the inhabitants are gone now and the place is now empty and silent.

DSCN0571.JPG

This next picture shows a wild creature, a bird, free to roam as it so wishes.

DSCN0280.JPG

This last picture moves us back, far beyond the idea of a place with security where we lock out intruders to be safe, but now we have a massive set up for imprisoning folk.

The three taken together might be considered as a comment on our freedom in society. The first image showing what we consider normal, where we lock things out. The middle a symbol of idyllic liberty and the last the result of society being both oppressive and failing us.

But of course, you might have just shared 3 pictures that are not meant to be considered as anything but fun snaps! Without your guidance and more experience of your work, we can just guess and look forward to learning more!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well Ive always been a wanderer so, being able to remain one has always been important.

Ian,

Are the picture, indeed, meant to be seen together to express a metaphor or am I over-analysing your pictures and they are just 3 separate unrelated images you happen to show together?

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Ian,

Personally I see 3 snapshots. If they weren't in a thread titled "C & C desired" I wouldn't give them a second look. In order for me to go beyond stating what I think (i.e. that these are snapshots) , I need to know how you want me to help you. One way to start is to explain what was your goal --in visual terms-- when taking these photographs?

Alain

Alain Briot

pro member
Ian,

No answer I see. I suppose you just want to know what the viewers "think"? The problem with that is you can't control what we think. Either we like it, or we don't or we are indifferent.

Those who like it will post, those who don't won't (I am an exception because I say what I think regardless of whether I like it or not) and those who are indifferent will, well, be indifferent which means they won't post.

Only by asking specific questions about your work, questions that go beyond "what do you think" and questions that are related to the visual aspects of your work (photography is a visual art) can you get valuable feedback that will help you reach the next step in your work.

Ian Houston

Alain,
Sorry it took me a bit but, I see what you are expressing with the somewhat vague answers I give. But, ultimately, yes, they were snapshots, and no when I said there was no theme, but I feel like there is always a sense of something behind what I do, even if I still have yet to place it. While I understand the lack of information may be misleading in a C&C, it does seem to be maybe a dumbed down C&C, that I am still finding my expression and the first 3 I chose were, while in my mind not related, could still be critiqued and criticized and could eventually help me find my own eye. They were just picked for the sake of trying to see what I have would elicit in response.
No need to worry, I can see, as in your post, no response means, no interest and, well, a response or comment can be because someone has something aside to say, which is what a forum is used for, and, I appreciate anything back.
So, basically it sums up to everything I have is unedited and sheer luck, so when I have the opportunity to see what that has brought me, in the form of feedback and criticism, I hope will shape future efforts or lucky strikes.

Alain Briot

pro member
Ian,

A lot of photographers who post images and ask for comment seem to ask, as you do yourself, "where should I go with my work?" The problem is, only you knows where you want to go. We don't. I certainly don't.

If you don't know where you want to go, it's unlikely you'll get there. I think Yogi Berra said something like that too. It's true. In other words, you'll get nowhere. You first have to find out where you want to go with your work, then when you tell us this destination, we can tell you how close you are and what you can do to get closer.

Otherwise, it's just asking way too much of the audience. The audience isn't there to tell you what to do. The audience is there to appreciate your work, to enjoy itself. We don't have a clue what you want to do, and in many ways we don't care all that much either! We're more concerned with where we want to go ourselves! And looking at art, appreciating art, is one way to find that out. Art appreciation has a selfish side after all!!

Asher Kelman

Alain,
Sorry it took me a bit but, I see what you are expressing with the somewhat vague answers I give. But, ultimately, yes, they were snapshots, and no when I said there was no theme, but I feel like there is always a sense of something behind what I do, even if I still have yet to place it. While I understand the lack of information may be misleading in a C&C, it does seem to be maybe a dumbed down C&C, that I am still finding my expression and the first 3 I chose were, while in my mind not related, could still be critiqued and criticized and could eventually help me find my own eye. They were just picked for the sake of trying to see what I have would elicit in response.

Ian,

Commendable honesty! Now at least you provide a framework for our reaction to your 3 pictures. Yes, my fanciful interpretation of expressions of relative "freedom", while plausible, overreaches here.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ian,

Thinking more about the photographer who is "good" at taking pictures but has not defined a path as yet, I have written down some ideas here that might be helpful.

Asher