• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

paintbrush.handle.blurred

Mark Hampton

BWflat.jpg

paintbrush.handle.blurred - M Hampton

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BWflat.jpg

Mark,

How on earth did you achieve that commanding pose in a young child!! This is an impressive picture to be respected and admired beyond your immediate circle of loving family to whom this picture is cherished. This and your total presentation of the picture as in a gallery shows off your talents well. I'd like to see other poses that would go in a series as to my mind, this has an exceptional set of worthwhile possibilities.

Thanks for sharing this picture!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Mark,

Let me address the production of this photograph.

B&W is indeed highly suitable here. This together with the very close cropping above and below and a horizontal format makes for picture where there is immediacy and authority.

I might also consider using a more open aperture or longer focal length to further remove the image from family snapshot and into formal portraiture. One could investigate tone mapping directly from RAW. This could prove to be the most valuable way of developing the pictures full potential. This is how B&W pictures are developed in skilled hands. I'd look to making the shadows exquisite.As a result the photograph not only excels on immediate view but also is meticulously crafted to take advantage of the esthetic space that B&W allows. I do not know how this can end up but my reckoning is that you will enjoy the possible ways opened for your photograph.

In this regard, I'd commend you to Bart's use of tone remapping with SNS-HDR.

I have never personally used this but I plan to try it with some of my B&W portraits

Asher

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,

Let me address the production of this photograph.

B&W is indeed highly suitable here. This together with the very close cropping above and below and a horizontal format makes for picture where there is immediacy and authority.

I might also consider using a more open aperture or longer focal length to further remove the image from family snapshot and into formal portraiture. One could investigate tone mapping directly from RAW. This could prove to be the most valuable way of developing the pictures full potential. This is how B&W pictures are developed in skilled hands. I'd look to making the shadows exquisite.As a result the photograph not only excels on immediate view but also is meticulously crafted to take advantage of the esthetic space that B&W allows. I do not know how this can end up but my reckoning is that you will enjoy the possible ways opened for your photograph.

In this regard, I'd commend you to Bart's use of tone remapping with SNS-HDR.

I have never personally used this but I plan to try it with some of my B&W portraits

Asher

Asher - thanks for the response.

In relation to the DOF - 5.6 - the lens I used only allows this at the focal length... I am trying to persuade my partner to let me invest in a Canon TS E Tilt-shift lens - 90 mm - F/2.8 - Canon EF.. as my son says That would be good !

As for Bart doing tone mapping (HDR) I would enjoy checking the results of this out. I will upload the RAW image to anyone wanting to improve and help me learn more, as this is my weakest aspect of my practice.
Find below the image as it came out of the camera.

paintbrush1.jpg

Mark Hampton

BWsplitsmallsharp.jpg

still working on this - bit of blur added - and a slippage added.. changed the skin values - I need to get it printed to find out where it works.

thanks for looking

Asher Kelman

paintbrush1.jpg

Mark,

Here the color adds so much! It's even better than the black and white derivative. That perfect baby complexion is lacking in the B&W mage which is obviously best for delicate shading, forms and texture.

This next one threw me off as I forgot it was actually you who introduced this de-constrcuction of single mages in the skies theme thread!

BWsplitsmallsharp.jpg

Yes, this works. We now have two forms where the child is looking at us as if partly hidden. This allows our minds all sorts of new possibilities. I like it better than the cloud mages although they were interesting!

Asher

Mark Hampton

Asher,

thanks again for the feedback - i think I have hardened the last image a touch to much - I must leave it for a couple of days and come back to it fresh.. when my mind is clear of those eyes !

cheers

Asher Kelman

Asher,

thanks again for the feedback - i think I have hardened the last image a touch to much - I must leave it for a couple of days and come back to it fresh.. when my mind is clear of those eyes !

cheers

Mark,

What's your history with this framing for a split image? When did you start fiddlng with it and where did the idea come from?

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

What's your history with this framing for a split image? When did you start fiddlng with it and where did the idea come from?

Asher

Asher,

I was studying Fine Art photography in Glasgow in 1996 - before the degree show and after my dissertation (on Stieglitz) I looked into the physiology of reading of photograph...

A couple of things struck me - in the eye tracker - eye movement is concentrated around contextual zones (if you ask some to tell you the age of someone / or there social status) the track will move in relation to this - but it seems to work over the middle of the image. Also photographs are sharper in the middle than at the edges. When i make pictures I think of where I want the eye to move - I try to control it by using focus / contrast / B&W - even the title can work in this way.

When I looked at contact sheets I started to make pictures half and half - i found the space between images sometimes caused a tension that the single image by its self did not. My thread old work re-photographed has some images from that time.

In digital this seems to make even more sense - I am conscious that as camera tech get better and better new ways of ordering the information can bring greater insights into the subject of the image - and also the subject of photography.

A little bit of entropy creates more tension! When we are saturated by images all day a jolt helps.

hope this is not to long winded and understandable.

cheers

Asher Kelman

Asher,

I was studying Fine Art photography in Glasgow in 1996 - before the degree show and after my dissertation (on Stieglitz) I looked into the physiology of reading of photograph...

Now that's very interesting... and impressve!

A couple of things struck me - in the eye tracker - eye movement is concentrated around contextual zones (if you ask some to tell you the age of someone / or there social status) the track will move in relation to this - but it seems to work over the middle of the image. Also photographs are sharper in the middle than at the edges. When i make pictures I think of where I want the eye to move - I try to control it by using focus / contrast / B&W - even the title can work in this way.

Exemplary!

When I looked at contact sheets I started to make pictures half and half - i found the space between images sometimes caused a tension that the single image by its self did not. My thread old work re-photographed has some images from that time.

What about the angle?

Have you seen it elsewhere?

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Asher,

Hello Mark,

Indeed, splitting natural pairs can be a handy device to create interest from what would otherwise be vapor. It's unsettling, like photographing feet wearing different shoes or the wrong orientation of shoes. It's a good exercise to give to folks studying photography (and other visual studies) because although it's a cheap device it vividly illustrates one type of visual tension, as you've aptly observed.

Of-topic: Can you share the title and/or a synopsis of your doctoral thesis on Stieglitz?

Mark Hampton

Hello Mark,

Indeed, splitting natural pairs can be a handy device to create interest from what would otherwise be vapor. It's unsettling, like photographing feet wearing different shoes or the wrong orientation of shoes. It's a good exercise to give to folks studying photography (and other visual studies) because although it's a cheap device it vividly illustrates one type of visual tension, as you've aptly observed.

Of-topic: Can you share the title and/or a synopsis of your doctoral thesis on Stieglitz?

Ken,

are you in Glee?

http://library.gsa.ac.uk:6080/Talis...chAsText=false&openRowPathSet=0.0:0,0:0#0.0.0

Dissertation not thesis – the link has it –
Synopsis, AS made some cracking pictures and many more poor ones

Asher Kelman

Hello Mark,

Ken,

You don't use words loosely. Why "cheap device" any more than "device" as in vignetting edges and corners, sharpening the center, using sepia or B&W instead of color or even slow shutter speed for creamy waterfalls? What ranks this disjointed splitting device as "cheap"? Is there a history of it being used thus, like the so-called ['url=http://digital-photography-school.com/the-orton-effect-mimicking-darkroom-processes-in-photoshop]"Orton"[/url] filter effect?

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I did not intend to offend or demean Mark's work. By "cheap" I mean that it's easy, it's low-hanging fruit that's been around much longer than photography itself. Surely Mark knows this, as he remarked that he's undertaken a doctoral program in art. This is the type of stuff that's taught in most good undergrad art programs and is by no means specific to photography.

A handy photography-specific example of a "cheap device" is converting a color image to b&w. Even though it's among the lowest of low-hanging fruit this can be an effective strategically-premeditated mediation to establish the kind of surface presentation you want. But most often we see this as an act of aimless amateur discovery in an attempt to lend visual gravitas to crap.

I think Mark's division of the image is just what he said it is; just a bit of whimsy for comparative sake.

But this is beginning to veer far from Mark's snapshot discussion.

Mark Hampton

What about the angle?

Asher

The line moved to an angle when I started putting more works together it changes in relation to what I am working on - some images don’t have it - some will in one existence and won’t in another.

Have you seen it elsewhere?

Asher

Breaking the image or plane is not new. The Steerage uses this kind of device - Rothko uses it – Frank and even Ken has used it :)

I just have my own reasons for doing it some link in to other works by other people and some don’t.

Thanks again Asher for taking an intreast.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Breaking the image or plane is not new. The Steerage uses this kind of device - Rothko uses it – Frank and even Ken has used it :)

You betcha! I'll use any cheap trick I can get! There are countless ways to organize and divide an image. Some are obvious, while some are not. Some are just plain fun.

Ken,

are you in Glee?
Unless you refer to a state of joyful rapture, nope.

Re: dissertation, my cultural mistake. Here in the U.S. the term "dissertation" is most commonly used in reference to a doctoral thesis, while "thesis" commonly references work toward a master's degree. But, of course, they're interchangeable. Ooops.

For some reason your link is leading to just a blank page, Mark.

Mark Hampton

For some reason your link is leading to just a blank page, Mark.

Ken,

http://library.gsa.ac.uk:6080/Talis...nid=A89BE76CA637B4980A8BB4FFCF288085.worker1?

type in my name for artist and the link to the work is there ... To read it you must visit the Library in Glasgow - if you do gee me a shout and we can go to the Uisge Beatha
you can stand me a drink !

And no I dont have a copy it was written 15 years ago on a Amiga.

So your not in Glee - I was sure this was you

You have not realy said much in realtion to the photay - colour or B&W / split unsplit - tonailiy hard or soft ?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nope, I still get nothing from your link. It's not important, so please don't spend too much time unraveling it.

Ha, a character with my name!

Re: your image, I really don't know that I've much to offer. It's a cute little boy (your son?) caught at a cute moment for a nice family memento. But beyond that, my opinion is that it's becoming far, far overworked.

The general rule of (my) thumb: when you're devoting more time to massaging an image than you invested in planning and capturing it you're heading way off the balance curve and in jeopardy of wandering into that "gravitas" comment I made earlier.

Mark Hampton

Nope, I still get nothing from your link. It's not important, so please don't spend too much time unraveling it.

Ha, a character with my name!

Re: your image, I really don't know that I've much to offer. It's a cute little boy (your son?) caught at a cute moment for a nice family memento. But beyond that, my opinion is that it's becoming far, far overworked.

The general rule of (my) thumb: when you're devoting more time to massaging an image than you invested in planning and capturing it you're heading way off the balance curve and in jeopardy of wandering into that "" comment I made earlier.

Cheers for the input Ken,

My thumb going by your measure must be metres long.... so I still have a way to go on this work... again thanks for the constructive and more than generous input..

I am glad I have a couple of years more working on this one image on this before I meander into your snap shot way of working.

You are in Glee, man I can tell

Mark Hampton

This is almost haunting-
I like the tinge of blue
and
I know this is not contrived-a book cover for " almost'

Charlotte-

Charlotte,

you have a child.. when they hold someone’s gaze... they seem to look into them... some people find it uncomfortable.. they laugh or stare back... these are moments when the mask slips...

thanks for looking