• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shona

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Shona

455_Shona_1090184bk_1.jpg

Quartz Singlet Soft Focus Lens

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
455_Shona_1090184bk_1.jpg

Dr Klaus Schmitt: Shona

Quartz Singlet Soft Focus Lens
'

Klaus,

I missed this. I think of Shona as the Mashona of Zimbabwe who live around Harari the capital, or else a shortened version of Shoshana, (hebrew for rose). Is the stone with wavy curves on the left a piece that you discovered fits to the shape of the lady?

Tell us more about this. The softness of the lens I like. So do you consider and modification of the contrast curve in the center or else sharpening, even a little? There's a general cloudiness as if this is a paper negative or old developer.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I brought that back from my business travels to Zimbabwe and it was bought from a Shona gallery there. It depicts an african woman with long hair braids flowing down her side as she looks down a bit over her right shoulder. When I was walking around there in that sculpture park, that piece of 3rd generation carver Luxon Karise, the artist who carved that, immediately catched my attention, because of its elegance and expression. So that fine piece started my Shona collection actually. I'm still impressed by their art to see the "Spirits in Stone" and with hard labour and simple tools work that out of teh stone, leave parts in the rough, polish others, partially wax them after having them heated on a wood fire to give them shine and bring out the stone structure and color so wonderfully. Funny that a friend from Kenya actually looks very similar to that piece shown, the facial expression, forehead, lips, even having braids down to her hips.

I wanted that older retro look like in old photographs, but feel free to modify it to your liking and show it here!

Here are two different versions in case you would like to see others:

455_Shona_1090341bk_c_1.jpg

455_Shona_1090335bk_c_1.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Klaus,

I love African culture and especially the Mashona and Ndebele as I have had the opportunity to work with them. How long were you there and when was this visit? I'd love to see more and also any pictures of people and also of Victoria Falls and the Zimbabwe Ruins? I'd like to visit again. Doesn't seem to safe these days!

In your picture, her head is away from the sweet spot of the lens and perhaps with a shot just of the head, it might be drawn differently. Do you happen to have also done studies just on the head?

Also what process is this, digital or film and what then are the details of development?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I was there some 15 or so times when I was still in the airport business. which finally led to the construction of the new Harare airport some 15 years ago. I was too busy to travel around but took the chance to meet Shona artists and galleries there.

I'll certainly redo the shots using different settings. That one was shot digital.

Asher Kelman

I was there some 15 or so times when I was still in the airport business. which finally led to the construction of the new Harare airport some 15 years ago.

I'll have to look it up! There may be pictures online. The country has suffered a lot from civil strife. South Africa tries to help but they cannot seem to influence their Northern neighbors enough to get peace. I wonder how it is maintained since the strife became an international cause for concern.

I'll certainly redo the shots using different settings. That one was shot digital.

How did the monochrome granular effect come about then?

Asher