• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

vehicle.tyres.compressed

Mark Hampton

tyrespannel.jpg

vehicle.tyres.compressed - M Hampton

Hi Mark,

That's a nice almost kaleidoscopic kind of result, very effective.

I do wonder if one of the composited images doesn't have enough power to stand on its own? I mean the resulting image is obviously a montage, and an effective one at that, but do you have a single image that packs a punch as well, maybe a close-up?

Just wondering, since sometimes less is more ...

Cheers,
Bart

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,

That's a nice almost kaleidoscopic kind of result, very effective.

I do wonder if one of the composited images doesn't have enough power to stand on its own? I mean the resulting image is obviously a montage, and an effective one at that, but do you have a single image that packs a punch as well, maybe a close-up?

Just wondering, since sometimes less is more ...

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,
Thanks for taken the time to comment - the image is around 130 inches / 60 inches - I will post some the component parts later on..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
tyrespannel.jpg

Mark,

What does it mean to you, just a pattern or is there intention beyond that?

I do like the mechanical stamp of your way of expression here, but I wonder about symmetry and dominant frames. In the previous work you showed of this nature, it was not so. It was less repetitive, frames were less obvious and they were asymmetrical. What made you change so drasticly? As Bart has pointed out, do you need all of this? One can "get" the kaleidoscopic idea from much less and then we can devote all of our attention to the subject matter, not the frames.

Mind you, I must admit, the use of symmetry, against expectations, does give it extra attention, but is that necessary to your concept?

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Mark,

I find your visual concept attractive in two levels.

First, it carries a punch as a observational statement on consumerism. (See Chris Jordan's work for a mind-blowing excursion down this path.) Attracticve compositions built from our crap automatically establish a self-conscious conflict with viewers, so it's fun to play with minds in that way.

Second, I find the possibilities for compositional patterns in the tire stacks to be interesting.

BUT I'm not comfortable with your use of repetition or the dogmatic symmetry you're applied to this mosaic. It's your call, but it leaves a dumbed-down impression. It detracts from the visual potential by forcing us to first recognize the shapes of the little panels, then their contents, then recognizing that they've been repeated.

I encourage you explore this further.

Asher Kelman

Mark,

I find your visual concept attractive in two levels.

First, it carries a punch as a observational statement on consumerism. (See Chris Jordan's work for a mind-blowing excursion down this path.) Attracticve compositions built from our crap automatically establish a self-conscious conflict with viewers, so it's fun to play with minds in that way.

Thanks Ken for this reference! commentary that anchors ideas to other artwork is among the most useful and enjoyable too.

Still, we do not know whether or not this is the intent, (conscious or not), of this new work, as it hasn't been stated. When if ever the artist discloses their needs/intent that made the art form in a particular way, our own perceptions can be altered.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Asher - Ken

Some thoughts -

Tyres bound to one another and compressed -the opposite of there manufactured function - once the tyre gets is considered used/useless (losing less than 10% if it mass) it is tossed aside (or gets photographed to become wallpaper )

the symmetry is two fold - there is a symmetry of the white box’s (cells walls) which mirrors a tyre tread / impression left (in a simplified form) and then the spin of the images inside the cell playing with the horizons - the hope is that the visually it leads to a deeper investigation of the image, that been said reading of symmetry can cause a reader to turn off.

I am ambivalent to the subject - the image I hope carries that ambivalence - it links into concerns within other work I have done and I am working upon...

tyres.jpg

Detail - M Hampton

some background - these tyres are part of a tyre wall - each block is around 1.5m / 1m / 1m they weigh approx 1 ton and have around 100 tyres in them compressed and bound with wire. they are collected and bound to either be buried or used in building projects (buried).

thanks for the feedback

Asher Kelman

some background - these tyres are part of a tyre wall - each block is around 1.5m / 1m / 1m they weigh approx 1 ton and have around 100 tyres in them compressed and bound with wire. they are collected and bound to either be buried or used in building projects (buried).[/COLOR]

Mark,

How do you come to own one tons blocks of compressed tires? How on earth do you move them? What is the function of the blocks for building. why bury them? After all, they will decompose!

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

How do you come to own one tons blocks of compressed tires? How on earth do you move them? What is the function of the blocks for building. why bury them? After all, they will decompose!

Asher

Asher,

I don’t own any bales - they are at a yard.Bales decompose with UV - cover a bale and it should not decompose.
building link for those interested

cheers

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mark,

tyrespannel.jpg

Stunning work, very effective.

I myself do not in general care for the artificial "mirror-image" symmetry, especially seen so many times. I would suspect that these images would make a very effective montage without that.

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Hampton

Hi, Mark,
I myself do not in general care for the artificial "mirror-image" symmetry, especially seen so many times. I would suspect that these images would make a very effective montage without that.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, thanks for the feedback - you ken and Asher have raised some questions that I should deal with work wise -

do I need the mirror - well - the work is an image of a culture that in some ways is mirrored - but that said do i need to point this out - over egg it...

I have had a couple of thoughts - one being photographing the tyre wall and reproducing it at same size - the rhythms and movement would still be there...

although I do think the original large image would be a cracking wall paper.

Cheers

Asher Kelman

Doug, thanks for the feedback - you ken and Asher have raised some questions that I should deal with work wise -

Work-wise and wisely too!

Mark,

This is dangerous stuff!

Make sure you protect your core ideas. Before you go any further, write down all the ideas, thoughts, significance and consequences you feel motivated you at each stage of this project. Make a time line. See if you can see where it should go, so you can direct your art in spite of comments from those of us here and at home who cheer you on!

"To thine own self be true".

The Bard's Polonius was a very insightful.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Work-wise and wisely too!

Mark,

This is dangerous stuff!

Make sure you protect your core ideas. Before you go any further, write down all the ideas, thoughts, significance and consequences you feel motivated you at each stage of this project. Make a time line. See if you can see where it should go, so you can direct your art in spite of comments from those of us here and at home who cheer you on!

"To thine own self be true".

The Bard's Polonius was a very insightful.

Asher

Asher,

and to thy work be open

splittyre.jpg

Mark Hampton

hi,hi

so went back and made more work - here a couple.

threef.jpg

- M Hampton

oneF.jpg

- M Hampton

I should be able to Make the large work at the start of the thread without repeating the same image.

cheers

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Incredible, not just in that each frame is picture worthy but the cohesion of the collage is very artistic in its own right. Would love to see this printed big as others have said..

Mark Hampton

oneF.jpg

- M Hampton

Mark,

This thread has some very interesting images. So far, for me, this one stands far above the rest.

Winston / Ben,

thanks for the feedback - If my memory serves me correctly there are 6 of this type of image at the moment. There sketched as this one is and not finished.

its always good to get any feedback. As I work toward a finish I will post so more updates.

Thanks for sticking your heads above the parapet.

Slange Var

Charlotte Thompson

Mark

I like these a lot- very nice!! would you consider using a grey in the squares just to see what the effect would be- I like the black it blends and makes for a professional look- however I thought the white was too much-also some of the purple color you added is very effective! My humble opinion

Charlotte-

Mark Hampton

Mark

I like these a lot- very nice!! would you consider using a grey in the squares just to see what the effect would be- I like the black it blends and makes for a professional look- however I thought the white was too much-also some of the purple color you added is very effective! My humble opinion

Charlotte-

charlotte - thanks for the comments. The move to black and the square format of the images was to push the sense of enclosure / compression - not to look professional. Grey would open up the tones but i wanted to make the work heavy. the white was done when I was looking at the light - the break in the image (which for me was the purpose) was being achieved by the tyres and wire and became unnessuary.

Asher Kelman

Mark,

I think you have no choice but to consider all manner of color, tone and texture in your separation bars.

splittyre.jpg

Gesture to can be helpful too. The single angle coming down from the left was a surprise and works well.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

I think you have no choice but to consider all manner of color, tone and texture in your separation bars.

splittyre.jpg

Gesture to can be helpful too. The single angle coming down from the left was a surprise and works well.

Asher

Asher, I have. But as the form and presantaion of the work are done I can also disregard suggestions that would only be going over old ground.

As for the above image pulled back :) it served its purpose in September 2010.

Cheers

Asher Kelman

Asher, I have. But as the form and presantaion of the work are done I can also disregard suggestions that would only be going over old ground.

As for the above image pulled back :) it served its purpose in September 2010.

Cheers

I hope, Mark, that you believe it serves it's purpose still!

Asher

FULLSTACK1.jpg

- M Hampton

almost done !

Hey Mark,

Since this has been “almost done” for six or so days, I thought I might make a couple of comments. First, I really like where you have taken this. The pieces earlier in the post were very interesting, but I think that this “near complete” arrangement is visually beautiful. I love the layers of grays and strength of the black grid lines. For me, the black strengthens the silvery look of the grays. I am a fan of grids, and I particularly like the way each square sits in its own visual space giving me an enjoyable rhythm as I wander about the surface. I find your gridding to be very strong in supporting the randomness of the squares (if you had used three over three, your middle square would have stolen all of the attention, and if you had gone 4 over 4, there would have been a cross in the middle forcing a specific focus on the center).

There are two spots that distract me. First, the square that is second from the right in the middle row, has a more solid (and rigid) white band through the (near) center, and the content on the left side of that strong white band is more out of focus than anywhere else. I like the areas that move me through focus in a more subtle way. This square seems a bit inconsistent. The second place that caused me to pause was the duplication of one of the images (but as far as I can tell, it is the only one duplicated same size, same angle). I realize that it might represent a form of social commentary (which I seem always slow to get) or a desire to alter the pace of the visual reading of this surface.

Anyway, it has been fun to see this as it developed. I can’t help but think of Louise Nevelson. To quote from a you/tube video, she believed, “when you put together things that others have thrown out . . . you are really bringing them to life. A life that surpasses the life for which they were originally created."

Bill

PS, of course if "Almost Done" refers to the tires and not your work schedule, disregard almost everything I just said!

Last edited:

Mark Hampton

Hey Mark,

Since this has been “almost done” for six or so days, I thought I might make a couple of comments. First, I really like where you have taken this. The pieces earlier in the post were very interesting, but I think that this “near complete” arrangement is visually beautiful. I love the layers of grays and strength of the black grid lines. For me, the black strengthens the silvery look of the grays. I am a fan of grids, and I particularly like the way each square sits in its own visual space giving me an enjoyable rhythm as I wander about the surface. I find your gridding to be very strong in supporting the randomness of the squares (if you had used three over three, your middle square would have stolen all of the attention, and if you had gone 4 over 4, there would have been a cross in the middle forcing a specific focus on the center).

There are two spots that distract me. First, the square that is second from the right in the middle row, has a more solid (and rigid) white band through the (near) center, and the content on the left side of that strong white band is more out of focus than anywhere else. I like the areas that move me through focus in a more subtle way. This square seems a bit inconsistent. The second place that caused me to pause was the duplication of one of the images (but as far as I can tell, it is the only one duplicated same size, same angle). I realize that it might represent a form of social commentary (which I seem always slow to get) or a desire to alter the pace of the visual reading of this surface.

Anyway, it has been fun to see this as it developed. I can’t help but think of Louise Nevelson. To quote from a you/tube video, she believed, “when you put together things that others have thrown out . . . you are really bringing them to life. A life that surpasses the life for which they were originally created."

Bill

PS, of course if "Almost Done" refers to the tires and not your work schedule, disregard almost everything I just said!

Bill thanks for the consideration in looking / thinking and not least writing.. I'll answer at the end - it may illuminate what was posted.

Almost done is not the title - vehicle.tyres.compressed - is the working title - it was more of a reminder to myself.... like alot of the work I make it started in one place and over time has moved and changed until it felt about right..

you may well be right about the panel you spotted - it does tend to hook my vision also - trying to get the rhythm just right has taken me a while - if a small change makes it better its worth a try.. the hook may be to jarring

I have a few colour images to introduce into the work so it will change.

the repattion is needed conceptual for the work (myside) there are a few repeating images in this panel. More about this later.

Thanks for introducing me to Louise Nevelson. That alone makes the work worth while.

cheers

like alot of the work I make it started in one place and over time has moved and changed until it felt about right..

I believe that change is the one thing that lets us know we are alive. It is rare for me to encounter something I've said or done and not realize that I feel differantly now. Change is the one thing that keeps our spirit alive and acknowleges that we have not passed. Lets keep moving.

Bill

Ruben Alfu

Hi Mark,

For some unfortunate reason I had missed this thread. This is a refreshing twist on the wheel, very much "out of the box". Love it!

Regards,

Ruben