• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

objects

What is the most common, ordinary, mundane, everyday object you ever photographied?

Here's mine:
oeufs.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Not meaning to flood this thread, but it's a genre I enjoy. Here are three plain ol' glass vases I photographed about a year ago.

p466082527-2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like to think that the best photos comes from the very simple subjects, like a re-discovery of sight.

I'd like to think that what we make has the stuff of simple beauty photographed in a modern way that will be appreciated long after what we have is modern, but when viewed against future modernity will still be effectively satisfying.

Asher

Asher Kelman

What is the most common, ordinary, mundane, everyday object you ever photographied?

Here's mine:
oeufs.jpg

My lat father n law photographed eggs he first chilled to get glistening drops of condensate that acted as myriads of magnifying glasses to show the texture of the shell surface. Eggs shown dry as a different esthetic but so handsome and democratic. We are stimulated to have our own thoughts with out you deciding anything of consequence for us.

Thanks for starting such a splendid thread.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Four panels I created two years ago, ostensibly for our kitchen, on a cold winter afternoon.

p341125643-3.jpg

p443612705-3.jpg

p20655808-3.jpg

p338827577-3.jpg

Sandrine and Ken,

I'd like to think that what you show us here has the stuff of simple beauty photographed in a modern way that will be appreciated long after what we have is modern, but when viewed against future modernity will still be effectively satisfying.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Asher: Put up a carefully-composed, perhaps slightly precious, image of a butt-simple object. This thread doesn't require theoretical analysis or navel-gazing (or narration). Shhhhhhhh.

Charlotte Thompson

Another hobby of mine is high end cooking-these are 2 German steel knives I use-The other is a Shun which I couldn't put in because it was in the dishwasher-anyway " Two Blades-"

DSC_0323-1.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Then you and she must be appeased! Wipes forehead with kitchen towel- Star of David must have been watching out for me and her!

Charlotte-

Jean Henderson

Sandrine, I love the eggs; Ken, I also love the intertwined forks; Charlotte, remind me to carry a big stick when I ever meet you!

Jean

It's not really what I call mundane (At least in GB) :) It's not really what I call an object too.
But I must say, this kinda "tourist image" (In France, nearly everybody goes to Tunisia for holidays and it's inevitably the photos you are mandatory to watch when they return...) must do the trick for "everyday" views as intended at the start of the thread...

And always this sharpness, my god! You can feel the texture of the fur on its flanks!!!!. (that's so very different from my mother's pictures :) )

fahim mohammed

' It's not really what I call mundane (At least in GB)'

You never mentioned that we were to post what you considered mundane. ( at least in GB )and neither was a specific location mentioned.

'It's not really what I call an object too.' an ' object' of love ( say ) could to me be many things..including women, men, dogs, children, baseball, sunsets, kitchenware etc. If you want something specific, please be specific. Diversity is something to be cherished. Not necessarily agreed upon, but accepted as a natural consequence of the diversity of the human population.

An ' object ' by itself is not specific enough. It cannot exist in a vacuum.

Maybe Tunisia might be more like France..but we know why, don't we?

'But I must say, this kinda "tourist image". What is touristy for you is not necessarily for me.

In France, nearly everybody goes to Tunisia for holidays and it's inevitably the photos you are mandatory to watch when they return.... When we go to ' France ' we have ' mandatory ' photos of
men playing the accordian on the Seine. Amongst other wonderful ' objects'.
If you want something specific, please be specific and unambiguous.

...must do the trick for "everyday" views as intended at the start of the thread...; I guess you might have intended to write ' must not '; A camel is not only an ' everyday ' sighting for us
but a constant thing. Maybe some would call it a constant mirage of the desert!

And always this sharpness, my god! You can feel the texture of the fur on its flanks!!!!. (that's so very different from my mother's pictures :) Thank you. Camels are sharp, everyday sightings, mundane as ( for me at least ) going to the office every morning!

My intention here is only to suggest that if I participate ( there was no restriction on who could or could not ! ) the pictures would reflect my views of everyday, mundane, ' objects '. What your intentions are I could not discern from my reading of the instructions.

But then again, English is not my ' mother ' ( or father ) tongue, or my first language. Neither French,
the Language. That indeed is a gift, I sorely miss.

Asher Kelman

' It's not really what I call mundane (At least in GB)'

You never mentioned that we were to post what you considered mundane. ( at least in GB )and neither was a specific location mentioned.

'It's not really what I call an object too.' an ' object' of love ( say ) could to me be many things..including women, men, dogs, children, baseball, sunsets, kitchenware etc. If you want something specific, please be specific. Diversity is something to be cherished. Not necessarily agreed upon, but accepted as a natural consequence of the diversity of the human population.

An ' object ' by itself is not specific enough. It cannot exist in a vacuum.

Maybe Tunisia might be more like France..but we know why, don't we?

'But I must say, this kinda "tourist image". What is touristy for you is not necessarily for me.

In France, nearly everybody goes to Tunisia for holidays and it's inevitably the photos you are mandatory to watch when they return.... When we go to ' France ' we have ' mandatory ' photos of
men playing the accordian on the Seine. Amongst other wonderful ' objects'.
If you want something specific, please be specific and unambiguous.

...must do the trick for "everyday" views as intended at the start of the thread...; I guess you might have intended to write ' must not '; A camel is not only an ' everyday ' sighting for us
but a constant thing. Maybe some would call it a constant mirage of the desert!

And always this sharpness, my god! You can feel the texture of the fur on its flanks!!!!. (that's so very different from my mother's pictures :) Thank you. Camels are sharp, everyday sightings, mundane as ( for me at least ) going to the office every morning!

My intention here is only to suggest that if I participate ( there was no restriction on who could or could not ! ) the pictures would reflect my views of everyday, mundane, ' objects '. What your intentions are I could not discern from my reading of the instructions.

But then again, English is not my ' mother ' ( or father ) tongue, or my first language. Neither French,
the Language. That indeed is a gift, I sorely miss.

Fahim,

Immediately in your reply I sensed a train of thought that can dissect arguments well. There are 100 pages of Muslim philosophers, LOL!!! Most of them appear to be scholars of Islam. The Categories "Muslim Philosopher" and "Arab Philosopher", however are empty! So someone should add these!

After all, we couldn't discuss objects if we had no idea of objectivity and the nature of objects and the effect of the observers viewpoint. The gap in the Wiki is so weird!

Just an incidental distraction as is my wont!

Asher

Asher Kelman

p97235528.jpg

Fahim,

First a camel, then a hardly common Leica, lens and all! Mundane? For me they're both higly exotic, LOL! For my Father in Law, the Hasselblad was really mundane. They were lying all over the place! So it's all a matter of where one is located in life. One can do the same exercise with "organic", where a "a flea can bite the bottom of the Pope in Rome" (Les Miserables) would fit just nicely! Organic indeed!

GAVROCHE
They laugh at me, these fellas,
Just because I am small
They laugh at me because I'm not hundred feet tall!
I tell 'em there's aot to learn down here on the ground
The world is big, but little people turn it around!

A worm can roll a stone
A bee can sting a bear
A fly can fly around Versailles
'Cos flies don't care!
A sparrow in a hut
Can make a happy home
A flea can bite the bottom
Of the Pope in Rome!

Gaoliath was a buiser who was tall as the sky.
But David threw a right and gave him one in the eye.
I never read the Bible but I know that it's true
It only goes to show what little people can do!