• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikonians: advice needed on a new DSLR (D80)

Joel Schochet

What specifically do you want? If you've already bought, you've got a fine camera at a really nice price. Read the manual, take photos, and ask questions here.

Joel

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Joel,

In my original post, I have posted a link to another thread (see the word "here") which is not immediately recognisable as a link since it is not underlined. There you can read all the details of my question. I was actually hoping that some Nikon guys would stop me from jumping on the Canon bandwagon, but alas, too late now :).

Thanks for replying.

Cem

Joel Schochet

Sorry I didn't get to convince early enough. But I don't see a Canon bandwagon anymore. Nikon certainly lagged behind before last year (2005). But with the D2x and the D200, it's "back in the game" (as I believe Canon afficianado Michael Reichmann said). With the D80, it has a light, compact, feature-packed camera with an excellent sensor. I have not held a D80, but the D2x and D200 feel like part of me. When I tried Canon's, they never seemed to "fit."

I hope you enjoy whatever you have, and produce great photos.

Joel

Cem_Usakligil

Joel thanks again. The only reason I have chosen for a Canon 400D instead of a Nikon D80 is due to the fact that I could get my hands on affordable, good quality full-frame Canon lenses. These were lacking for the Nikon or where/when they were available, they were much more expensive in comparison. As far as the build quality and many other features are concerned, I am still convinced that the D80 is a better camera than the 400D I ended up buying. But sometimes, one does things that cannot be explained rationally, isn't it? I still have some Nikon SLRs though ;-).

Regards,

Cem

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well the good news is that a new Nikon photographer joined today, Amy Goalen who is a marine photographer. She has recently returned from a dive in the Galapagas and will have fascinating images to share.

Also Suzy, a fine photographic artist is coming on board. Her work is creative portraiture with women and men most recently using infrared film in controlled lighting conditions.

She is, again, a devoted Nikon user. With each Nikonian, we are stengthened!

Asher

Joel Schochet

Cem,

I have a friend who is so taken with the Rebel XTi (or 400 - their numbering in different markets confuses me) that he got rid of of a 1D. He also has a 5D, which let him get rid of a 1Ds. There is so much technology in the less expensive offerings - of both Canon and Nikon - that you have to really think about whether you need to spend in excess of $1000 these days. Which is not to say that you don't get anything with the additional price of a D200, D2x, 1Ds MkII or 1D Mkii; just that you don't need to get the top-of-line camera to get excellent technology. Of course, that's a good thing for all of us.

Enjoy!

Joel

Cem_Usakligil

Joel,

Thanks for your kind words, I fully agree with you.
I have been playing with the 400D (XTi) for two days now to get used to it, and I am rather taken by it. I miss a couple of features such as spot exposure metering or auto ISO, but nothing I can't live without.

FWIW, I am still a Nikonian since I own and use three analog SLRs made by Nikon. I have learned taking good photographs with my first ever Nikon SLR (an FG) which I bought when I was only 18 years old. This kind of emotion does not let you go easily :).

Cheers,

Cem

Louis Doench

Cem,

I have a friend who is so taken with the Rebel XTi (or 400 - their numbering in different markets confuses me) that he got rid of of a 1D. He also has a 5D, which let him get rid of a 1Ds. There is so much technology in the less expensive offerings - of both Canon and Nikon - that you have to really think about whether you need to spend in excess of $1000 these days. Which is not to say that you don't get anything with the additional price of a D200, D2x, 1Ds MkII or 1D Mkii; just that you don't need to get the top-of-line camera to get excellent technology. Of course, that's a good thing for all of us.

Enjoy!

Joel

Makes those of us who spent full price on A D1x when it was new look really silly....