• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why do I keep getting logged off?

Jean Henderson

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure that this is the right place for the question but, unlike other sites I frequent, I keep getting logged off without my knowledge, even if I am still on the site. Is there a time limit per logon?

Jean

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure that this is the right place for the question but, unlike other sites I frequent, I keep getting logged off without my knowledge, even if I am still on the site. Is there a time limit per logon?

Jean

We don't log you off! Do you have it checked of for your computer to store your password? If not, you might consider doing that! It's there where you log on!

It could be that you clear cookies and then you need to log in again. Is someone else using your computer?

Some folk might clear cookies after they visit a website and then want to remove traces from the computer either so no one else can see you were there or so that the website cannot harvest anything from your computer or send you stuff that could be an embarrassment, LOL!

That happens in the work place when employees repeatedly clear the browser history states and also clear the cookies left behind.

Asher

Jean Henderson

Could it be the NoScript add-on in Firefox?

Thanks, Asher. Maybe I've just been spending too much time here of late, reading back articles and such. LOL! It has to be something about the NoScript add-on I use in Firefox, even though I have it set to "Allow all." Maybe it would take "Allow Globally," (but I'm not going there even for OPF) to fully correct the problem.

No one else uses my computer (when I am home, at least) except for my granddaughter, under supervision -- and I don't stop by here when she is awake. Has to be NoScript, then. Does anybody know for sure?

Jean

Kevin Stecyk

I have No Script with Firefox and have no difficulties. Mind you, I usually do a drive by and see if anything catches my interest. And sometimes I will redo a picture or something, but so far, no issues.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jean,

When you say you "get logged off", just what happens? What tells you that this has happened?

Are you still "connected to" the forum, but just no longer "logged in"? Or are you no longer connected? And if so, if you access it again, you are not recognized?

Or do you mean that if you exit the forum, and the access it again, you are not recognized?

Best regards,

Doug

Jean Henderson

Hi Doug,

Just got a very clear cut reading on your question. I kept the OPF tab I was on open while checking email and answered a long one and a couple of short ones. When I finished, more was in my inbox, including the notice for Kevin's post and yours. I then clicked on the link and a whole new OPF tab opened up. I was not signed in because I had the sense to check that this time before I responded to you. The other OPF tab is still open. What I should have done to get an even clearer reading would have been not to click the email link before seeing if I was still signed in on the first one.

The first one had me signed in when I went to check it after clicking the link. But that tab says I last visited at 6:45. The newly opened tab says it was 8:20. Looks like I'M probably the one causing the problem by working in this fashion.

I'm still connected to the net for sure. After clicking the email link, then reading the post, I respond, but when I go to submit reply, it tells me I'm not logged in. Perhaps that's as it should be?

Jean

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jean,

Perhaps that's as it should be?
I don't know, since I do not subscribe to threads or have general e-mail notification here.

But I do get e-mail notification of private messages, and when I click on the link there, a browser instance is started, a "connection" to OPF is made, and I am logged in. But I am normally automatically logged into OPF ( by way of a cookie in my browser).

When you open an OPF connection (from your browser in the ordinary way, not by clicking on a link in an e-mail message or such) (no other OPF connections existing at the time), are you automatically logged in?

If not, I suppose it is because you have cookies disabled on your browser.

If so, then if you open a second OPF connection from another browser window), will you also be automatically be logged in on that one?

Best regards,

Doug

Jean Henderson

Hi Doug,

This time I just went back to my inbox and waited for another notification. When I clicked the link, I was still signed in with the 8:20 time noted as last visit. I'm guessing, then, that this post will post when submitted. The first and second tabs are still open.

But, cookies, you say. I do know for sure that whenever I log out, I get a message that all cookies have been cleared. So, do you folks just never sign out? So that when you return, you are still signed in? Is it possible that by not checking the "Remember me" box, I have caused the problem? For some reason, I thought that was only required once and I've never checked it again ever since my first time. Is that what "being connected to" OPF means?

Thanks to all of you for your most generous help in this matter!

Jean

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jean,
But, cookies, you say. I do know for sure that whenever I log out, I get a message that all cookies have been cleared.
Do you mean it happens when you close your browser (not just log off from some site)?

You may have your browser set to do that.

So, do you folks just never sign out? So that when you return, you are still signed in?
It sounds as if you are speaking of closing your browser, not logging off from a site.

In any case, no, I can close my browser, and when I restart the browser, and go tho the site, I am "automatically" logged in, not "still logged in".

Is it possible that by not checking the "Remember me" box, I have caused the problem?
For some reason, I thought that was only required once and I've never checked it again ever since my first time.
You must check that box any time you have to "log on" to POF (that is, enter your ID and password) if you don't want to have to log on for future visits. Doing so causes OPF to (then) deposit a "cookie" on your computer - and entry in a special text file that, when you later access OPF (perhaps after your browser has been closed and then reopened), will let it recognize who you are and automatically log you in.

If in fact that happens (and the browser is set to retain the cookie), and you are automatically logged in when you return to OPF, you do not need to check the "Remember Me" box again

But if your browser is not set to retain cookies, then none of this will happen.

Is that what "being connected to" OPF means?

When you first access a site, a "connection" is established. That connection remains until you close your browser (or the tab pertaining to that "connection").

This is true even if you "log off" from the site. Then you are still connected to it in the communications sense, just no longer "recognized" and thus given certain privileges.

Best regards,

Doug

Jean Henderson

Hi Doug,

Hi, Jean,

Do you mean it happens when you close your browser (not just log off from some site)?

You may have your browser set to do that.

It sounds as if you are speaking of closing your browser, not logging off from a site.

It happens when I log off the OPF site only, the message about cookies being cleared; I don't get this message when I log off any other site. It doesn't appear at all when I close the browser, which I generally do only once, sometimes twice, a day when I run the free versions of Advanced System Care and Glary Utilities to clean things up. (I hardly ever turn my computer completely off as a matter of routine, mostly just for thunderstorms -- or when I've just had it with the computer for some reason or other -- LOL.)

Also, I am not sure where in Firefox to keep cookies turned on even though I have checked under Tools--> Options.

When you first access a site, a "connection" is established. That connection remains until you close your browser (or the tab pertaining to that "connection").

This is true even if you "log off" from the site. Then you are still connected to it in the communications sense, just no longer "recognized" and thus given certain privileges.

I am still working at getting this through my thick skull enough to ask any clarifying question(s).

I am going out for several hours now; will check back when I return. And, thank you, Doug, for your earlier comments on not subscribing to any threads but just your PMs.

Jean

Jean Henderson

Hi Folks,

When I came back from my errands, the original tab I had signed in to was still open and I was still signed in. In a second tab I was not. Should I only keep one OPF tab open at one time instead of the multiples I keep open as I jump around the site for different things? It's beginning to sound right to me after this little experiment.

Have a great weekend, Everyone!

Jean

StuartRae

Jean,

If it's any comfort to you, the same thing sometimes happens to me. I login, start to answer a thread, open Google in a new window (Firefox) to look something up, and if I take to long I'm directed to the login screen when I finally submit my reply.
There doesn't seem to be any common denominator except time.

Regards,

Stuart

Jean Henderson

Hi Stuart,

Whew! Thanks for saving me from feeling like a complete dumb bell!!

Just for the record, I received the email notification on your post and clicked the link from the email. On that tab which came up, I was not signed in, so I went back to the one where I was signed in, then came back to the thread and voila! Everything was as it should be.

Before this, Stuart, I thought it was a time thing, too. Guess we'll just have to keep our tabs straight in our own minds from now on, huh? Can you give it a try and let me know what happens for you?

Jean

Jean Henderson

Hi Fahim,

Yes, I did check the remember me box, but, after a week away from home, I think I can chalk up my problem to overall bad forum technique. LOL! Before leaving, I actually bookmarked the main page (hadn't even done that yet) and, so long as I start off there -- and remember which tab comes first, everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Jean