• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Second shoot with a model (busted my flash)

Sydney Rester

So, if I had my druthers I would not be posting this in "Portrait in Natural Light." I took my flash along to this shoot, intending to use it off camera, and my light-stand came crashing down in a gust of wind. My flash is *dead* I'm afraid. So there are more shadows on these than I would have liked. Are they a problem?

These are from my second shoot with a model, taken outside a honky tonk here in Austin. I actually used a lens besides my 135 for these (85 1.8). And how gorgeous is my model? She really plays guitar too.

1009655742_9KCXw-XL.jpg

Juliette B

1009655874_WsQsS-XL.jpg

Juliette B

Clayton Lofgren

I like the first one, but I bet she didn't really need that bra. In the second I could handle less detail, especially in the corner of the left eye.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So, if I had my druthers I would not be posting this in "Portrait in Natural Light." I took my flash along to this shoot, intending to use it off camera, and my light-stand came crashing down in a gust of wind. My flash is *dead* I'm afraid. So there are more shadows on these than I would have liked. Are they a problem?

These are from my second shoot with a model, taken outside a honky tonk here in Austin. I actually used a lens besides my 135 for these (85 1.8). And how gorgeous is my model? She really plays guitar too.

1009655742_9KCXw-XL.jpg

Sydney Rester: Juliette with Guitar

Sydney,

I don't mind shadows, in fact I try to find them. These bring in the angels to paint for you!

Today, I use flash extensively in the studio and for lighting entire buildings if need be, but for most personal creative work I use available light. Wind blows down flash, it's part of it's job. Sandbags are a help and light flash heads!

I like the model and the shot. She has a wonderful attitude and will be a great model for you. Get her playing too. Would have liked to have seen more of the interesting vehicle to. That makes a super background for a full length shot, but in that case, lose the red bra strap, it cuts in and conflicts with her white blouse. Or else lose the white shirt. Those shadows could be accentuated to build up a repeating angular pattern. It could be useful. You'd have to check it out.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
1009655874_WsQsS-XL.jpg

Sydney Rester: Juliette in B&W

Sydney,

B&W pictures are real photography before color came along to change our ideas. So there's a huge expectation for what a B&W photograph might be able to do for Juliette. Here I feel that the production is hard for her. I'd rework this with the mind locked into the feeling of softness, but not her eyes and lips, they can be bolder. For B&W, one wants to have a range of tonalities and yet not bring out features in a harsh way. Here one might pull back in the hardness of everything.

I'd consider reprocessing this from RAW in several versions and one with with very little contrast at all and one you might even blur, all in B&W. Stack them in photoshop and then drag each down to the mask symbol in the layers palette to get each its own mask. Have the regular medium contrast sharpest image on top. Click on the top mask and with a paint brush, paint in black to reveal some of the layer underneath. This way you will be able to build a blurred outside and have sharp lips and eyes, everything according to your whim, wish and design.

My controlling thought is simply this. What is most important to be sharp and have high contrast, what's next to have less and so on. Now, Jim Galli can simply pick one of a dozen 100 year-old lenses, a coke-bottle base mounted in a sewer pipe or a scavenged projector lantern lens and do this in one go!

To know what this should look like, visit Tonepah images here or Matt Blais here with a Pinkham and Smith visual Quality lens!

You can approach that shooting the 135 mm lens wide open or 85mm at 2.0!

Frankly, a flash would have not necessarily helped you get a better picture. One light would be needed at a good power level to get rid of those shadows you don't like, but then you'd need a second light above and to your right, perhaps, to get back dimension in her again. As it is, you have her face well illuminated.

With B&W, one does not really want everything evenly illuminated in most cases. So goodbye flash!

Asher

Sydney Rester

This is awesome feedback Asher. Thank you. I will definitely try reworking the black and white as you suggested. I think I'm finally proficient enough with Photoshop to give it a whirl.