• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scanning 35mm slides

Don Ferguson Jr.

I have scanned a 35mm slide at 2400 .When you open the image in the PSE3 box the resoution is 2400 .Do ya'll change that to 300 without the unsample boxed checked. Are do you leave it at 2400 and print . If you change it to 300 and do not check resample box it gives me w-10 ,h- 7.28 3512x2184 . I guess you never want to print at 2400 in the resolution box right. I am very new to this scanning thing. Looking for 8x10 print.
Thanks I did not see this addressed in the search

Regards ,
Don

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don Ferguson Jr. said:
I have scanned a 35mm slide at 2400 .When you open the image in the PSE3 box the resoution is 2400 .Do ya'll change that to 300 without the unsample boxed checked. Are do you leave it at 2400 and print . If you change it to 300 and do not check resample box it gives me w-10 ,h- 7.28 3512x2184 . I guess you never want to print at 2400 in the resolution box right. I am very new to this scanning thing. Looking for 8x10 print.
Thanks I did not see this addressed in the search

Regards ,
Don

Hi Don,

Photoshp is merely reporting what you did. Your slide was simple scanned with 2400 pixels/inch.

Now, if you wish to have a print exactly at 1:1 size ratio to the original film, then don't change a thing.

However the Image Size Dialog box allows you to allocate those pixels to any number of pixels per inch. So if you decoded on 300 pixels/ inch then you could print an image 8 times the width and length.

150 dpi would allow a print twice that.

However, you would see that if resample image is unchecked, then the file size will be unchanged.

You can experiment with size in several ways. First, as long as you don'tclick O.K., and cancel instead, no changes you make will be recorded.

However, the best thing is to work with a copy of your image, no matter what you are doing and how sophisticated you become!

Hope this helps,

Asher

P.S. Don't save a .jpg unless it is a copy of your file to send it to someone or to upload or to print as each time you compress the image, artifacts can be introduced. But you for sure knew that!

Cem_Usakligil

Don,

I'll try to give a short and straight answer:
I don't change the dpi setting unless I am physically going to change the pixel dimensions of the image (enlarge or reduce the size). When printing, I choose to print with preview and adjust the print size there accordingly. This will change the dpi of the image "on-the-fly" in order to print it, but will leave the original untouched. Software will calculate automatically what this on-the-fly dpi setting should be to produce the desired print size. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cem

Don Ferguson Jr.

Asher, thanks it is so nice to get an informed answer by the Editor- In -Chief !
Scott Kelby says in his book do not turn off resample images from a scanner . If you do not and keep it checked and put in 300 the dimensions do not change and the pixels are reduced to 394x273.

What he says is not right for a 35mm slide because you cannot make a target it has to be the slides size at 2400 scan . That is what was confusing me. You made it very clear on how to proceed.

Yes, I learned a lot from Michael Tapes from the Rawshooter forum regarding tiffs, but it was nice of you to remind me.
Regards,
Don

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks Cem,
You did make that short and to the point . It was nice of you to tell me how you allowed for it to be calculated. I am learning bit by bit using PSE3 ,it is almost PS with Grants Tools .
Regards,
Don