• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Quoting of quotes

Doug Kerr

I find that these days, in the forum proper, when I go to "quote" a post to respond, matter already quoted in the post being responded to is not embraced (to be "nested quoted"). I think this is a recent change.

I note that in the Private Message handling arena, "nested quoting" still works as it used to.

Perhaps this has been a result of the inadvertent setting of some switch in the forum software (perhaps one that prescribes how "deep" can we nest quotes).

I certainly preferred it the old way.

Best regards,

Doug

I find that these days, in the forum proper, when I go to "quote" a post to respond, matter already quoted in the post being responded to is not embraced (to be "nested quoted"). I think this is a recent change.

Hi Doug,

I haven't noticed anything different recently. I've left the above quote 'quoted'.

Now I'll quote some text by typing it and after selecting I'll click the quote icon on the toolbar:
This text is turned into a quote.

Or are you referring to responding to text with a quoted section, and the already quoted section disapprearing (nested quoting of already partially quoted posts)? That has been so since a while already as far as I can remember, I can't even remember how long but I do remember vagely that it hasn't been like that forever. So something probably changed many months ago. I agree that is not the way it should be.

Do let us know if the difficulty persists on your end.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Or are you referring to responding to text with a quoted section, and the already quoted section disapprearing (nested quoting of already partially quoted posts)?
Yes, indeed. Sorry if I was ambiguous in my description.

That has been so since a while already as far as I can remember, I can't even remember how long but I do remember vagely that it hasn't been like that forever. So something probably changed many months ago.
Oh, I'm sure. Time flies for us old geezers.

I agree that is not the way it should be.

Do let us know if the difficulty persists on your end.

Daily or what? I have it all the time.

Or do you mean you plan to change it and I should let you know if it doesn't work?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have enabled multiple quotes

vBulletin said:
Multi-Quote Enabled
If this option is enabled, an additional button will appear on posts. A user may click as many of these buttons as they wish. Once they click a reply button, the content of each of the selected posts will be quoted and shown in the reply window.

You now can quote up to 5 threads by checking them. Also you can edit for 6 hours and after 3 hours it will note that it's edited by you.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it works!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I have enabled multiple quotes

You now can quote up to 5 threads by checking them.
That doesn't sound like it is related to the issue here.

Also you can edit for 6 hours and after 3 hours it will note that it's edited by you.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it works!
Not worth a hoot.

What you see here is exactly what I get when responding to your post (which had a quote in it attributed to vBulletin, which wasn't presented in my composing window).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I now understand what you wish for and support its value. However, I have not, as yet, found how to implement it. I tried to work with multiple quotes and found it did not address your needs. So we are back to square one.

I'll have another look!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I now understand what you wish for and support its value. However, I have not, as yet, found how to implement it. I tried to work with multiple quotes and found it did not address your needs. So we are back to square one.

I'll have another look!
Thanks.

Please note:

• It formerly worked the way I think it should (nesting of quotes allowed, to some depth).
• It works that way in many other forums using the same BBS package
• It works that way on OPF when relying to private messages.

Almost certainly there is a switch somewhere in the BBS controls that controls how deeply quotes can be nested. (I know there used to be some limit on that - perhaps there could only be two layers of quotes in the new post, maybe three at most.) Perhaps it has inadvertently been set to"zero".

I will do a test to see how deeply quotes can be nested in the PM area.

Best regards,

Doug

I'll have another look!

Asher,

As Doug had noted, nested quoting does function with PMs, so it is probably a default setting for the forums not a limitation of the software itself.

I can understand the logic behind it, given that some posters do not edit their messages and quote full text regardless. It is however a bit annoying (extra work) for serious posters who want to keep just enough context in a post to follow the train of thought as it develops while avoiding the need to reread the whole thread. It does call for self-discipline by posters to delete the non-relevant parts when the back and forth exchange gets longer.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Just for comparison, I recently tested nesting of quotes in the PM area (always using the advanced reply feature, not the quick reply).

I was able to have a post with seven quotes nested, plus new text. I did not encounter a limit - just gave up.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Good research!

vBulletin for some reason, doesn't support nested quotes since version 2.0.

Here are some references:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124334

I hope you might see ways of us working around this.

The reference you gave that I left quoted above speaks of a "hack" (an edit to functions.php) to achieve this. Dunno if it is practical. (And I can't see the code as I am not a registered member of that forum.)

Best regards,

Doug