• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

.CR2 files and ACR

Hi everyone!
Is there a reason why my version of Photoshop - CS4 - (and the ACR that comes with it) cannot handle .CR2 files? I understood that .CR2 are disguised .TIFF files but renaming them is useless. Will I have to download a file from Adobe site everytime I have a "new" file extention? (on this occasion, I just noticed that all the files I had to work on were "dng"s, PSD or NEF files. It's a first time that a Canon user sends me his Raw files).

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

Hi everyone!
Is there a reason why my version of Photoshop - CS4 - (and the ACR that comes with it) cannot handle .CR2 files? I understood that .CR2 are disguised .TIFF files but renaming them is useless.
No, .CR2 files are not "disguised" TIFF files. They are Canon raw files. (Their data structure is in fact drawn from the TIFF file structure, but the data is quite different.)

It is possible that the .CR2 files you are trying to open are from a family of Canon cameras which your ACR (the accessory to PS that handles raw files) has not yet been prepared to understand - the format details vary with camera model.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi everyone!
Is there a reason why my version of Photoshop - CS4 - (and the ACR that comes with it) cannot handle .CR2 files? I understood that .CR2 are disguised .TIFF files but renaming them is useless. Will I have to download a file from Adobe site everytime I have a "new" file extention? (on this occasion, I just noticed that all the files I had to work on were "dng"s, PSD or NEF files. It's a first time that a Canon user sends me his Raw files).
Sandrine,

I open .CR2 files with CS4 routinely. Check you have the latest verson of ACR from the Adobe website.

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Sandrine,

You need to update your version of ACR to 5.6 to support the 5D Mk2 in CS4.

You can download it from here

Regards,

Stuart

Andrew Rodney

ok thank you guys! Why do they have to change everything all the time! :)

They being the camera manufacturers. IF Canon (or Nikon) didn’t build proprietary raw data files with every new system, Adobe would not have update their software all the time. That’s why Adobe introduced DNG. If someday we have world peace, unlimited clean energy and the camera manufacturers just output DNG or a non proprietary raw file, this update process would largely disappear.

They being the camera manufacturers. IF Canon (or Nikon) didn’t build proprietary raw data files with every new system, Adobe would not have update their software all the time. That’s why Adobe introduced DNG. If someday we have world peace, unlimited clean energy and the camera manufacturers just output DNG or a non proprietary raw file, this update process would largely disappear.

Hi,
There's also something that leads to this...Why do paying customers have to pay again and again or at least be inflicted the marketing ideas. And why do users of basically free softwares want everything free all the time... There's something going wrong in the world of computers. How can Software developers can be payed properly in a world where a minority of customers pays for their programs, what will happen if I, for example will be fed up of craving for having a new version of Photoshop because of the marketing issues (It'll probably never happen)? The fact is there is a cast that must pay : Adobe users - there might be other state of the art softwares in other industries. And the others where free software/standards lead (file transfer, PHP, mySQL whatever) who code these stuffs? Students? Wannabees?I cannot understand why a part of the users have to be milked, and the other part can use tools that nobody seems to be paid for coding them...

PS: I don't look like blushing but I'm very impressed that I'm writing to a celebrity...