• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How many 4x5/8x10 view cameras is too many

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will Thompson said:
Now up to 4 8x10 Kodak 2-D, 9 4x5, 3 2x3, 1 5x7 and still counting.

Is this an addiction?
Not only is is an addiction it really ticks me off! You keep collecting these great cameras but you never use them! Even a Polaroid would be fine!

Asher

Kirk Thompson

How many did Weston or Adams need? Or Atget or Evans?

The question is how many great images you're making with them. If you aren't regularly using them for photography, give 'em to an art school & let some students have a chance.

Kirk

Asher Kelman

Will is very good at rehabilitating large format cameras. Trouble is he love gadgets and fixing things!

I keep pushing him for images. We need action in the 4x5 area. Now it is true that a lot of the cameras are handsome and one an "ooh" and "aah" about the leather and put on great bargains in fine rescued lenses, but they also need to breath some film smell!

I'm still hoping we might get some pictures. maybe will have to have a 4x5 day in L.A.!

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
4x5 Polaroid

Here is the Image I submitted for the hompage slide show.

Graflex Crown View 4x5, Caltar 150mm lens, Polaroid type 72 B&W ISO 400 intant sheet film!

WillThompson_4x5Poloroid72ISO400CrownView_VX8Y2668.jpg

No Matter How many camera's you have , you only can use one at a time , the Last I knew !

I have an Old 4x5 which I used before but it collects dust now , since I do not have a dark room , it sits ,Sorry: made by Rochester Opitical Co., a Pony Premo #6 [ serial # 85559 ] And a few others And one a brownie Reflex I just found out has Film in it:):)

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
OK! Latest count on Large Format cameras.

6 Graflex press cameras 4x5 and 2x3 (have shot with)

3 Calumet 4x5 CC400 series (1 Black)

1 Wista 45DX (have shot with)

1 Toyo 45CF (have shot with)

1 Graflex Crown View 4x5 (have shot with)

1 Century 5x7 No. 2

2 Century 8x10 No. 2

2 Calumet 8x10 C1 Black (have shot with)

6 Eastman Kodak 8x10 No. 2D

Carsten Wolff

Is that pic blurry? :)
Asher is right. Use them! That's what they're there for.
I had the "collecting bug" once, too, though. But I now only have one LF camera
(an old Arca Swiss 5x7, which also does 4x5 and 6x17) and I'm in the process of reducing my lens kit from 12 to 4 (ok 5, but that includes my 6x17 underwater set).

Asher Kelman

Actually, I think you have something important there Jack!

I have been at the Ponte Vecchio, that ancient bridge Florence, Italy. As the sun sets, things change so fast, it's a challenge working with a 35mm camera and doing a Pano. One has to use auto since the light changes drasticly between shots. A LF camera doesnt require stitching just a look at the sky and a light meter reading. So having several LF camera ready will films seems utterly smart! With an assistant to change the film holders, one could get off a 20 shots as the sun goes down!

One is lucky to get one good pano in that time!

Asher

Jack_Flesher

One is lucky to get one good pano in that time!

That time of day is definitely problematic for large format Asher. Murphy is always present, and more often than I care to admit, I've captured what I think is the "peak" light, only to have it "pop fantastic" while I'm hunched over my bag slipping the sheet I just exposed into the "exposed" film pouch... Quickloads help here for sure as you can get another sheet ready in a hurry, but sometimes the pop only lasts for 15 or 20 seconds and you'd better be ready if you expect to grab it.

You mentioned Ponte Vecchio... Not a sunset, but what I got ;) :

pointeveccio.jpg

Cheers,