• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A cute model waring a nice hat and boots?

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Here she is!

Will_Thompson_C_2010_012K2503.jpg

EF 50mm f1.2L USM Prime 1/125 f4.0 ISO 200 1DsMKIII

Lighting: Norman 400B Packs with LH500 Flash Heads & Coil Cords, all Custom Modified (by me) with Chimera Soft Boxes. All Originally From eBay!​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here she is!

Will,

Shooting to overwhelm the remnants of ambient light simplifies your composition. This leaves strong geometrical shapes of the diagonals cutting across a mainly black figure and balanced by one solitary white light in the darkness on the upper right.

An air of impish impudence and freshness suggesting she might be starting her career and is more natural and full of heart than fake and disappointed. The composition is interesting and startingly effective. The boots would be expected to draw attention down and away from the face but the bold red hat grabs us in the opposite direction and then that single light on the right keeps us hovering there, switching between the darkness and the face. There's a fluidity and challenge in her hips push to her right and a circular motion with her left hand directing the motion clockwise and to her hips and the right hand returning us to her beckoning and challenging face.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

"Lighting: Norman 400B Packs with LH500 Flash Heads & Coil Cords, all Custom Modified (by me) with Chimera Soft Boxes. All Originally From eBay!"

What a great mobile lighting system and you use it well. I like the idea of extreme portability of the Norman flashes and the mating with Westcot light boxes which are perhaps the best made and certainly the best supported for parts and repairs. Like Lumedyne, Norman lights can readily be carried a good distance without doing in one's back and the light is more than enough for lighting a model, at night or overcoming the sun at mid-day.

You should market your modified Norman's with built in pocket Wizard with the soft box as a package!

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Without the hat!

Here she is, again, without the hat!

Will_Thompson_C_2010_012K2535.jpg

Lighting: Norman 400B Packs with LH500 Flash Heads & Coil Cords, all Custom Modified (by me) with Chimera Soft Boxes. All Originally From eBay!​

I prefer the second one, the silk robe is a nice addition I think. two things: She looks either sad or sulky, and the silk fabric needs a bit of ironing (look like it just have been tear off the manufacturer wrap). my two cents (oh no! she's so picky :) )

Asher Kelman

Here she is!

Will_Thompson_C_2010_012K2535.jpg

Will Thompson: With and Without!

Lighting: Norman 400B Packs with LH500 Flash Heads & Coil
Cords, all Custom Modified (by me) with Chimera Soft Boxes.

All Originally From eBay!

Sandrine,

I'm most drawn to the first version. The balance with the light in the b.g. s simple and clean: her a bold brush stroke and then a tiny bright dot. Yes the clothes in the second do look crumpled slightly but the portable lighting set up with Will's Norman + Chimera combo is remarkably fast and simple to use and an amazing bargain.

You are right about the crinkles in the dress! Everything Will does here is to help the model see herself in many different styles at zero cost. Some will be perfect for her portfolio to get jobs. She can always have a reshoot with everything worked out to a T. If she liked that dress, then Will can have her send it to the dry cleaners for the best preparation.

Will,

You are the Robin Hood of photo-gear! These Normans are solid, reliable beasts. You rebuilding and customizing them, instead of getting new, spares the $$$$ cash for the best lenses!

Choice of Chimera is very important. They are a US company that will actually stand by their softboxes and repair them for you!

Asher