• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I have my eye on you.

Ron Morse

An armored cat fish looking right into the camera.

dpp0016om5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ron,

You do these shots so well.

Excellent skin texure.

Is it really looking at the camera?

Are those scales or else how is it armored? Also the camera lens and lighting setup etc.

Is the animal in water?

asher

Asher Kelman said:
Is the animal in water?

More important, was the camera in the water???
icon12.gif

I assume the cat fish was in a tank, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was an easy target. An intriguing shot that leaves something to guess.

Bart

Ron Morse

Thank you Mary, Asher and Bart.

Yes he was watching me.

They do not have scales. They have bony plates that are segmented as they move back from the head. They have 3 ( can't remember ) maybe 4 rows of teeth that run down their side from front to back for protection.

It has been over 40 years since I studied Ichthyology but the little dots all over the head could have a sensory purpose since this fish is for the most part nocturnal.

The lense was either a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro or a Tamron 24-135mm. It was over a year ago and I can't remember which but I think the Tamron.

I used my ST-E2 and a slave flash as I always do. Two slaves are better than 1 on a deep tank since the water kills the light from reaching the bottom quite effectively.

One thing to remember is that all your expensive glass has a piece of glass between it and the subject of no higher quality than a piece of window glass. In this case 1/2" thick.

If you look at the right side about half way down the fish in this shot you will see the start of the protective teeth. From my studies they are actually teeth on the outside.

mg455301hp6.jpg