• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The sun sets...

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
...on this decade.

sunset.jpg

See End of the Decade.

Rajan, this a glorious sunset with a superb foreground.

Are we the only people who realise that the decade ends on December 31, 2010 and not December 31, 2009?

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Rajan, this a glorious sunset with a superb foreground.

Are we the only people who realise that the decade ends on December 31, 2010 and not December 31, 2009?

Maris,

It was a magnificent sight, and the photo required very little processing. I was at the sunset the day following but it was nothing like this.

By the way, "photography" was coined earlier by someone else, but Herschel Jr also came up with the term independently. See -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Herschel#Photography

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rajan,

We've one sun to warm us, just one atmosphere and one set of chromosomes we share with so many creatures on this wonderful planet. I like the simplicity of this picture. I see things that way.

Happy New Year!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
;107867 said:
...on this decade.

sunset.jpg

Rajan Parrikar: Sunset on this Decade

Original

Rajan,

Thanks for permitting me to edit your [ Sunset on this Decade. Yes, images such as these can be dismissed as mere sentiment, unoriginal. Still, I do enjoy such sights and there's payoff each time I look. This picture does not pretend anything at all. So, that's fine a stance for me too. So, I'll not pretend it's profound or anything outstanding. But neither are the beautiful trees we pass every day, nor birds soaring above. Your sunset is just like that, splendid and not at all rare for most of us!

So, what you have picked to mark the end of the decade is "within reach of us all", just by opening our eyes. A lot of events, good and bad might have befallen us during this period. But, at least we can say, "We made it a little while longer, in spite of ourselves. We're here on planet earth, pretty well intact, with enough resources to be hopeful."

That's anyway how such a picture has me feel, simple gratitude that we all are here a little longer. We can screw things up, or we can look after this place. It's up to us!

Frame v. Matte: Now how should the picture be presented? I do not like dark frames. However, at OPF we went with a blue background to the page. So how do we make out print stand out more, if that's needed? Sometimes a matte may be used to better advantage than an imprisoning dark frame. (In my opinion, just my point of view, I'd avoid these like the plague, unless there's some commanding need for it by your esthetic senses). A light matte, instead, just allows the print to own its own "territory", so to speak, with no encroachment from anything else nearby.

So here I offer two alternate presentations using a light matte with a fragment of red to go wth the pictures, but with no alterations to the actual mage.

Sunset_upper_AK.jpg

Cropped Version I AK with permisson

_cropped lower_AK.jpg

Cropped Version II AK with permssion

In simple terms, the first picture with richer sky, is most charming, fitting with our expectations for a romantic evening. The second is a more challenging form to accept, as the sky is given up for more sea.
After all, the sun is setting, not the sky. This picture, then is far less romantic, sentimental and more blunt. The sun is setting, (like in Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'", you'd better take note!

Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'"

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last

I hope Rajan that these two offerings are of interest to you. I know you have tried many versions, perhaps this approach might add some new choices to explore. I'd rather think that in the challenging times in Goa where rich village life can be wiped out in one handshake or favor to developer as the land for real estate and industrialization is far more valuable the the humans on it.

Now make sure you have listened to Dylan's haunting song and then, after that, consider my modest version II of your picture again as, perhaps, being more in line with the stark choices faced by folk you worry about. However, it's for you to work out whether I speculate too much or maybe I am close to the mark on this one! I'd love to know what was on your mind!

Thanks for sharing and your generosity,

Asher

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Asher,

I enjoyed the versions you posted. I should write an action in CS5 for a white matte border; I simply use the black border action that I have on file. When I posted the same image on Fred Miranda I chose the white matte from the options offered there since I knew it makes quite a difference in the effect.

As you have right noted, this is not a rare sight although the precise conditions may be unique. What draws me to it are qualities I do not normally associate with the sun - loving, affectionate, delicious. The next day's sunset was beautiful but had a completely different character.

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Asher,

I am not familiar with much of the popular music of the West, but the lyrics of the song - "times they are a-changin'" - are more apt to this photograph than you perhaps realize. It was shot from a magnificent stretch of coastal plateau that is now in the crosshairs of the real estate mafia, who have designs on 'developing' it (i.e. pouring concrete on it). So times really are a-changing. Fortunately, they have been thwarted for now by the local villagers. But eventually big money will win out and I am not hopeful, especially since local politicos know there is a potential windfall here.

It is the same situation the world over - pristine areas being taken down. So, enjoy it while it lasts!