• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

580 EX reverts to "M" from "ETTL"

Michael Poster

I'm having a problem with my 5D bodies, STE-2 and 580 EX. I've referred to the manual, but can't find the solution to this. I routinely use this system as follows:
5D set to "manual" and I adjust exposure to suit ambient
580 set to "slave"
STE-2 set to "i" (first "on" position)
The problem is that ever since fooling around with manual flash settings one day ("M" mode) I can't get the flash to retain the ETTL setting. I can reset it to ETTL, but then after some period of time (it seems to be random) the flash will revert to "M".

I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. I'm getting quite accustomed to looking at the flash and resetting it myself, but that isn't too darned efficient.

So how can I set it to "ETTL" and get it to stay that way?

Diane Fields

Michael, I'm guessing you have not installed the very newest firmware for the 5D. This was a problem that occurred (only when using the STE2 BTW) and was corrected with the new firmware--sometime this summer. It drove me crazy until I wrote Chuck Westfall about it (and it was discussed a bit on other forums last year). Just go to the Canon site and get the new firmware, install---and the problem goes away. I did it in Sept. knowing I would be using the STE2/4 flashes for a job in October. Up until then I didn't bother since I don't normally use flash. My understanding, though, is even though it 'reverts' to manual---it really does work as ETTL. But who knows about that. Since the firmware upgrade corrects it, that's an easy solution.

Diane

Michael Poster

Thanks, Diane. You're right. I did not upgrade firmware on either body since there was some issue with serial numbers and mine fell into the group that had to be sent back to Canon. Can I now upgrade firmware to latest without sending the bodies in?

Michael Poster

Rats. I guess I'm getting feeble-minded. Both bodies have 1.1.0 firmware and that's the latest, I think. There's no question that the flash changes from ETTL to Manual so I guess I'm stuck again.