• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The in-laws

The in-laws were in town and a impromptu shoot to play with some new toys happened...

5466805697_e44819ce7d_b.jpg

5466804475_67c2712b46_b.jpg

5466806583_9c328875f3_b.jpg

5467407674_8a187f472c_b.jpg

I wish I could have removed the chandelier which was causing the shadows at the top of the frame but it was all in fun. I can't wait to pick up some backdrops! All shots were with the nikon 85 f1.4d. Lighting used was 2 sb600's. One camera high right shot into white umbrella. The second camera left low shot through a translucent reflector(5 in 1).

C&C always welcome and apreciated.

thanks
jake

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
First the B&W images!

Jake,

We can't contemplate such different modalities. B&W is so different from color.

The in-laws were in town and a impromptu shoot to play with some new toys happened...

5466805697_e44819ce7d_b.jpg

5466804475_67c2712b46_b.jpg

I wish I could have removed the chandelier which was causing the shadows at the top of the frame but it was all in fun.

Glad you didn't do that, Jake! The light fitting helps to put them in your home. Theres no reason to sterilize portraits from their context. Tidying up too much can take away from potential richness. The second picture is my favorite, chandelier shadow and all! Even the slight, (likely accidental), clipping of the finger tips at the bottom border, helps to show he's a visitor to you and that's perfect. Don't even consider cropping away "fee empty space". It works and provides us with an experience of the setting of the "sitting".

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Jake

I really like the first portrait shot
it gives us a look into the human side of a long enduring marriage
both of them look so settled into each other and happy with each others spirit- long marriages can do that-
nice work and capture of such meanings-

Charlotte-

Thank you for the comments everyone.

Yes charlotte, an enduring marriage indeed. Reminds me of my parents marriage and of course the marriage I'm just starting.

Asher, should I not post B&W with color in the same post? Is it conflicting ideas? I ask seriously because everyone heres advice I take seriously. You all help me grow.

thanks doug!

reagards,
jake

continued.....

same place, similar setup...

46 inch umbrealla high camera right and played around with snoot low camera left aimed at her tummy.

5492384002_861cb659fb_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/200
f8
Iso800
sb600 x 2

5491794461_f28b4d0365_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/200
f5.6
Iso200
sb600 x 2​

and the father to be...th shirt fits the pose, lol.. all in good fun though!

5492388054_c6c67919fb_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/200
f5.6 Iso200
sb600 x 2​

A'niya was born march 3rd 2011 at 6lbs 5oz. I'm sure you will all see her soon...

thanks for looking and sharing

fahim mohammed

I usually prefer bw for portraits. The first portrait is grand; and the reason I like it as is in bw.

Jake, btw, I use a micro on my in-laws!! In bright sunlight.

Wondering why you seem to have closed the aperture on the 85?

Regards.

I usually prefer bw for portraits. The first portrait is grand; and the reason I like it as is in bw.

Jake, btw, I use a micro on my in-laws!! In bright sunlight.

Wondering why you seem to have closed the aperture on the 85?

Regards.

Thanks fahim. Aperture closed down to get their whole face, nose to ears, in focus. Could I have used a larger aperture? I didn't want OOF ears and noses for these ones.

fahim mohammed

You have an almost full body shot here. So with a 85mm you were a little further back.
Maybe, you could have got away with f2.8. You might darken the bg to pitch black. That would make the couple stand out. You would need to isolate the couple though as the hair and print on the shirts would be impacted otherwise.

The only reason I asked was that I prefer softer portraits. Except when necessary to accentuate the features of a face..e.g a face covered with sweat of a farmer on a hot day.

For your in-laws, in this instance, I would have gone for a high key and soft portrait. Flatter them too! shall serve you well.

Just my thoughts.

Best.

You have an almost full body shot here. So with a 85mm you were a little further back.
Maybe, you could have got away with f2.8. You might darken the bg to pitch black. That would make the couple stand out. You would need to isolate the couple though as the hair and print on the shirts would be impacted otherwise.

The only reason I asked was that I prefer softer portraits. Except when necessary to accentuate the features of a face..e.g a face covered with sweat of a farmer on a hot day.

For your in-laws, in this instance, I would have gone for a high key and soft portrait. Flatter them too! shall serve you well.

Just my thoughts.

Best.

ok I understand now. Thank you for the advice.