• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An attempt at shooting candles

Jean Henderson

Recently I was recruited by my church (I'm an "irregular Catholic" who is currently a member of an Episcopal/Anglican small parish where I am being fed spiritually) to help work on their fledgling website which is another whole new learning curve for me. These shots were made for use there and represent my second attempt at making some candle shots that are meant to suggest contemplation. The first attempt was done in the church where I discovered the too great tonal range of the candle and the Rosary/pebbles. Comments, critiques, etc. are most welcomed.

PurpleCandleFlame_2-3449.jpg

PurpleCandleFlame-3451.jpg

Can you see the small reflection to the right of the candle on this one? I was using a Canon 50mm macro for which a hood does not exist? Does anyone know how to get rid of this as it showed up in many shots? (When checking the preview, the reflection does not show up -- is that the result of making it into a JPEG?)

WhiteCandlewithRosary-3426.jpg

Many thanks in advance,
Jean

For the first one, I can see some banding (purple) due probably to the jpg compression and/or an interpolation with too much sharpening... It may be an issue for the future website... you can add a bit of noise or check your interpolation method if using "save for web" in Photoshop. The best one for me is the third apart for the vignetting that I' would like to see a bit more subtle...This one is more meditative and maybe less "depressing" than the "purple and black" which are always very connoted in the Christianity.

I'm an "irregular Catholic" who is currently a member of an Episcopal/Anglican small parish

So, ready for a new schism? :)

Jean Henderson

So, ready for a new schism? :)

You bet ya!! Actually, there is an ecumenical movement around that may do it -- called the Emergent (or Emerging) Church. History suggests that the pendulum (right to left) will stay in motion. With the right in control of the Vatican ATM, the left is getting ready! I'm midway left, I think.

Jean

Jean Henderson

Sandrine,

Thanks for the comments on the images. Boy, do you have great eyes -- or a larger monitor than I do -- as I can't see it here, but will definitely check it out further.

Jean

Jean Henderson

there some people around suggesting that the Vatican is not right enough. So better stay where you are :)

Didn't know that at all, but my priest-younger brother is no doubt among them! We have little to talk about these days. FWIW, though, I believe Jesus would be in the "trenches" instead of in most of the churches if he were incarnate today.

Jean

I just checked another time and in the purple candle, I can see the photographer as a reflection :)
Usually we can see him in the model's eye :)
Let's say that the candles are your faith eyes...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Recently I was recruited by my church (I'm an "irregular Catholic" who is currently a member of an Episcopal/Anglican small parish where I am being fed spiritually) to help work on their fledgling website which is another whole new learning curve for me.

Helping is always good! Good for one's own being and for forcing oneself to acquire new skills to deal with the problems working in new areas and different people require. However, stay close to your own church as that is where your values and peace of mind are anchored!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jean,

The 50 mm Macro does have it's own lens shade! go to a camera store and they'll find one for you. The glint of light on that candle can be removed by having your light come from a different angle and not be so hard and specular. A white thin cloth diffusing the light might help. In any case, that tiny area can be toned down in photoshop. Make two layers of the picture. The lower layer should be toned down with a curve or brightness-contrast. Then simply erase the bright area on the top layer with a soft brush of say 20 pixels at 20% and start with a larger circle and then decrease the circle each time releasing the brush so the effect builds with every new application.

If you use layer masks, then do this with black soft brush instead, on the layer mask of the top original layer.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Many thanks in advance,
Jean

WhiteCandlewithRosary-3426.jpg

Jean,

This picture starts as a challenge of composition and then lighting. I'd start by having even illumination, just getting the composition right.

The way I'd approach it would be to determine what are the characteristics of pebbles that make them have a role in expressing some spiritual Christian value. Right now, I haven't a clue. I do know such stones are put on graves in Jewish cemeteries when folk visit. If you can understand more about the stones' ritual value then you would know what kind, size, texture, color and number might be good choices. Do the stones have to be even? Is there anything to say about texture.

If the ritual values allow it, simplify the stones to say 5 and one or two clear choices of color. Then does the candle need the plate? Can the stones be on the table. Can there by a reflection of the stones in a shiny surface. Should the rosary be on its own and could it be longer?

When you have these questions answered your subsequent decisions would have clarity and you would be closer to expressing ideas. Could you give the work a title to signify those ideas simply?

Then you can start to arrange your simplified composition on your newly chosen surface. Start with a large close light source so lighting is even. Then add a second light high to one side to give dimension. After that consider a backlight to define edges. Each of these could be reflectors.

Asher

Jean Henderson

Sorry, Asher, that I have not been able to offer a response before now. The project had to be put on hold for a bit, though. Also, since reading about SNS-HDR, I may have found a whole new approach to the capture process.

As for the stones, I will have to work on that. The guy I work on the church website with wanted them included. He is much more studied about such things so I will consult with him before moving forward with a new capture process.

Jean