• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon Mark 2 5D shaky video

Hi Just bought the 5d mark 2 and think its amazing!! However cant get the video right. I'm playing it back through my Mac imove and its really jerky. AM I doing something wrong?
http://www.dickonclark.co.uk

Hi Dickon,

Welcome to OPF. The 5D Mark II is a very nice camera for a relatively affordable price. It gave a lot of photographers an interesting entry into the world of video/motion pictures, with unique imaging possibilities. However, shooting video is something quite different than stills. Camera motion and subject motion are additional creative opportunities to convey emotion, and then there is sound ...

It's hard to judge your issue without an example. It is jerky in playback, or is it camera shake? If the former, then you'll probably need to fine tune the system you are playing the video on, or use good quality software to reduce the playback requirements. If it's caused by camera shake, then you've just found out why people use gear like dollies and steadycam harnasses.

Cheers,
Bart