• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cem's Website!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I revisited Cem Usakligil's website. It's worth your time for a number of reasons.

1. It shows a simple clear user-friendly design.

2. Pictures that have been carefully selected, leaving out many more I know of that Cem might not consider his best.

3. Sections not ready for great pictures, are not filled with anything else, just left empty.

4. It has a coherent section on his theme, "Portals" This is a great example of an inner motivation driving work naturally.

What do you like about it?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's great to have an artist articulate what he/she expects of the art.

Cem does say,

"The photograph should convey its message successfully without the need for a specific explanation. Equally important are the aspects of originality and creativity. The image should evoke some emotions in the looker. It should also do justice to its subject. When all this comes together, it will be a good picture for me. Having said that, I know all too well by now that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

The first idea, that, "The photograph should convey its message successfully without the need for a specific explanation." depends, of course on the culture and education of the audience. In all great museums, where there is a curated exhibit, there's explanation. That's how the extra richness built in to art gets translated beyond the immediate experience of the art.

Doug Kerr

Cem's website (that's the new AP Stylebook format, replacing "Web site") is at:

cem.usakligil.com​

It is a lovely thing indeed.

Thanks and best wishes, Cem.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher, thanks for the suggestion.

I've got this bookmarked, Cem, and will return periodically to check for additions as the galleries are filled.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Guys,

I am quite (pleasantly) surprised that Asher has decided to bring my website into your attention, thanks for it and thanks for the kind comments.

I am definitely guilty of not populating the individual galleries despite the fact that I have enough images to share. I really should make this a priority of mine. I will do so, I promise. :)

Cheers,

You could make an entire website based on the "Doel" series...
Not that the rest doesn't worth it :)
But that's a special body in itself from my point of view...
It should become a book :) if only for yourself.

(there 20% off at Blurb these days, contact me for the code if it matters)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

It's great to have an artist articulate what he/she expects of the art.

Cem does say,

"The photograph should convey its message successfully without the need for a specific explanation. Equally important are the aspects of originality and creativity. The image should evoke some emotions in the looker. It should also do justice to its subject. When all this comes together, it will be a good picture for me. Having said that, I know all too well by now that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

The first idea, that, "The photograph should convey its message successfully without the need for a specific explanation." depends, of course on the culture and education of the audience. In all great museums, where there is a curated exhibit, there's explanation. That's how the extra richness built in to art gets translated beyond the immediate experience of the art.
Yes of course, also referring to various on-going discussions in OPF regarding photography as an art form, your comments are certainly true. I do not underestimate the added value of an explanation at all. That is the reason why there is a statement of intent / explanation which precedes my Portals and Doel sets. If the photograph is of a documentary/PJ kind or part of a project set, an explanation would be desirable/ needed. For an individual art photograph, the art/beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say, so one does not necessarily need to attach an explanation per se. Of course the looker might want to know about the artist statement of the artist so as to to know why he/she is creating his art the way he/she is doing it. This may help place the individual art photo into a consistent framework. Even then, with or without an explanation, it is up to the looker to draw up his/her own conclusions within his/her cultural framework regardless of any explanations the artist might provide.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sandrine,

You could make an entire website based on the "Doel" series...
Not that the rest doesn't worth it :)
But that's a special body in itself from my point of view...
It should become a book :) if only for yourself.

(there 20% off at Blurb these days, contact me for the code if it matters)
Thanks for the kind comments. I have a lot of pictures from Doel which I haven't processed or shown before. I also have a lot more urban/industrial pictures which fall nicely into that niche. I think that this is a popular subject with many photographers here in Europe. I am not sure how trendy it is right now in USA. Perhaps I should add some pictures to the industrial sites thread of Rachel later.

PS: I will create a Blurb book eventually. Just need to prioritize it ;)

Cheers,

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The imagery is very nice but having practically all the sections empty does leave on with a bit of an 'empty' feeling at the end. Perhaps only add the sections as you populate them?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ben,

The imagery is very nice but having practically all the sections empty does leave on with a bit of an 'empty' feeling at the end. Perhaps only add the sections as you populate them?
You are absolutely right in your assessment. I have originally created those categories so that it would hopefully urge me to populate them asap. Unfortunately procrastination took over, lol. If I remove them now, I may never come back to them. Whereas if I leave them as is, my guilt threshold will soon rise to the required level to do something about it (I hope). ;-)

Cheers,

Mark Hampton

Hi Ben,

You are absolutely right in your assessment. I have originally created those categories so that it would hopefully urge me to populate them asap. Unfortunately procrastination took over, lol. If I remove them now, I may never come back to them. Whereas if I leave them as is, my guilt threshold will soon rise to the required level to do something about it (I hope). ;-)

Cheers,

Cem,

lol... beautiful idea... I may have to use this :)

cheers