• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Safe for work

Doug Kerr

Although it is not what it at first might seem, this is one of my favorite "pinups" from the World War II "Rosie the Riveter" genre.

3660776880_42ea267323_z.jpg

Unknown photographer: Safety Garb for Women Workers, ca. 1943
via U. S. National Archives - Public Domain​

Taken by an unknown photographer, in about 1943, the shot shows two shipyard workers with new protective gear being put into use there. The girl on the right exuberantly shows off a plastic chest protector. We can only conjecture what kind of industrial misadventure it is designed to protect against.

The girl on the left (decidedly less exuberantly) shows safety glasses and protective gloves. Both are wearing coveralls, steel-toed protective shoes (with a stylish medium-low heel), and protective cap.

We yet have no further technical details about the shot, but research continues.

The shot comes from the U. S. National Archives, and is reported as presumably being in the public domain.

Best regards,

Doug

The lady with the armoured bra may want tell us this:

Don't use a hammer that's loose from its handle for it'll end stabbing your chest...
It happened to me once, and it hurts...