• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

the new Canon 70-200 4L IS

Roger Lambert

Interesting reading on this new lens, including the first real independent review.:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/467825/9

In a nutshell: as sharp, contrasty as the 70-200 2.8 IS, with slightly better corner-to-corner performance, and with a better-performing IS system.

Half the weight of the 2.8 version, and shorter by 1" in length.

In one fellow's hands-on test, a new 70-200 4L IS was noticeably sharper than a new 200 2.8 prime.

Seems Canon made some optical and mechanical improvements to this system.

I am interested because the 2.8 was a bit too heavy for me, but the 4.0 sounds eminently useable. :)

Don Lashier

The f4 has always been extremely sharp edge to edge and as good (or better IMO) optically as the f2.8. While IS might be nice for indoor shots I've never felt the need for it outdoors because the light weight makes it very easy to hand hold.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've been so happy with the f4.0. It may be sharper the the f 2.8 IS, but it's certainly no lesser lens.

I carry it in a trouser pocket! In my travels, I'd sometimes have my wallet in one pocket overlaid with a diet coke can, (my anti-pick-pocket device) and in my other pocket, my 70-200 f 4.0. I was nicely balanced.

Can't do that with the 2.8 IS!

Asher

Erik DeBill

Don Lashier said:
The f4 has always been extremely sharp edge to edge and as good (or better IMO) optically as the f2.8. While IS might be nice for indoor shots I've never felt the need for it outdoors because the light weight makes it very easy to hand hold.

Shooting hand held without IS, I like to keep shutter speed to at least 1/400 at 200mm. That can get rough when stopping down for DOF.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least one shoot where I could easily have doubled the number of keepers with another one or two stops of hand-holdability.

It certainly doesn't keep me from using my 70-200F4 all the time, but it it sure would be nice sometimes.

349-4972-dragonfly-web.jpg

(70-200 F4L, minimum focus distance, hand held, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/500, partly cloudy)

Jan Luursema

Asher Kelman said:
I carry it in a trouser pocket! In my travels, I'd sometimes have my wallet in one pocket overlaid with a diet coke can, (my anti-pick-pocket device) and in my other pocket, my 70-200 f 4.0. I was nicely balanced.

So what did you do when you drank the coke?

I'm very set on getting this lens. It would be great for indoor portraits when you have to keep a low profile, i.e. during interviews. Can't really poke around a monopod during interviews. I used a 70-200/4 non IS for this, but the shutterspeeds had to be too high so I had to increase the iso too much. It was a very sharp lens though!
The 2.8 would be better, but it's a little too heavy for my taste.

I was already wishing for this lens a few years ago, so now it's available I'd better get it!
Will have to sell the 135/2 though..

Roger Lambert

Don Lashier said:

- DL

It is encouraging to hear about the light weight. :)

In the FM forum discussion, what was impressive to me was hands-on reports ( and some photos to "prove" it ) of very sharp hand-held shots at 200mm - - but using only 1/16 second shutter speeds! One fellow liked his results at 1/10th.

Canon is for the first time claiming 4 stops of IS with this lens, and it seems to be living up to the claims.

On the other hand, this new lens with IS weighs a lot more than the non-IS lens. Still, it seems very attractive over all.

Now, if only I had the money to spend on it! :D

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I have one on the way to replace my 70-200 f4L. The original is a really fantastic lens but with my shaky hands I find it rather difficult to handhold. I've wanted to buy the 2.8 for a while having had no problem handholding it when I've borrowed/rented one for a specific purpose but the price has always put me off, this I feel is a nice compromise with the size being the best part of it!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Well, I just got my new lens, not opened the box yet I have to admit given that my 5D and 20D are both in the CPS repair shop so I don't actually have anythign to try it on. I have a 70-200 f4L for sale in perfect condition including box etc for £350, calibrated by canon for focus

Asher Kelman

Ben the next step up you might posible consider would be selling you 20D to get a used 1DII.

The focus on the latter is so wonderful and together with the new IS lens will give you perfection!

Anyway, good luck on the sale of the 70-200 f4.0L. I have both that and the 70-200 2.8L IS and chose the 4.0 for a hike since it's light and every bit as sharp.

If one does not need the extra aperture, why schlepp the extra weight and get a hernia and back-ache LOL?

Asher

Asher Kelman said:
Anyway, good luck on the sale of the 70-200 f4.0L. I have both that and the 70-200 2.8L IS and chose the 4.0 for a hike since it's light and every bit as sharp.

And if you could only have a 70-200/2.8 IS or a 70-200/4 IS which would you choose?

thanks,

Sean

Don Lashier

Sean DeMerchant said:
And if you could only have a 70-200/2.8 IS or a 70-200/4 IS which would you choose?
It depends on what sort of stuff you shoot. I've got the f4 and am perfectly happy with it for most things, but when I'm shooting stuff where the background is a problem (eg rodeos, parades) I often wish I had the 2.8 for (as Nicolas said) the bokeh to obscure the background. Someday I may get the 2.8 but there's no way I'll trade in my light (did I say light) f4 - I'd keep it for field work where DOF isn't usually an issue.

- DL

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Asher, the 20D was bought and mated to a 50mm 1.4 as a available light shallow focus companion to my 5D for wedding work. I have to say that I've been extremely disappointed with both parts of the equation and will be selling both in the near future. The lens isn't great wide open and the 20D's focus wide open is awful.

I have a K10D with pancake set on the way as a street system which should replace it to some extent as a 2nd wedding body, the IS and the multiple cross sensors will be most welcome. However the 70-200 f4IS will start seeing far more work at weddings than the non IS which preceded it had. The bokeh at the long end is plenty smooth enough for my needs and looks great. I worked out that the 50mm on the 20D wide open gives the same DOF as the 70-200 f4L at 110mm on the 5D, comparing a FOV between the cameras of 80mm to 110mm, what is that, 2 steps backwards, the only thing that I will miss is the close focus but I will have the Pentax with a 70mm 2.4 (and built in IS) for that...

Asher Kelman

Ben,

What about the new Canon Rebel XTi for just $600 new! Excellent central focus point. With a Canon 50mm 2.4 Macro lens, that's one superb system. The 50mm Macro is one superb lens even wide open; short portrait lens too!

(Only thing is that for me at least, my 50mm macro is a little jerky in focus. I need to check a new one to see if mine needs lubricating.)

I'm interested in the new Canon 50 1.2L which might be just the perfect, albeit heavier alternative.

I don't think it's really wise to carry different 35mm systems for the main work. Why carry two lens systems? Weddings need at least two classes of lenses: a close and a distance lens.

1. 35mm 1.4L, a 24-70 2.8 L , a 50 mm or the equivalent

2. your 70-200mm.

The Pentax system sounds fascinating. They have always had superior lenses.

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Asher, focus recompose even at 50mm and 5.6 is a definate reciepe for backfocus as I found out to my cost!

.....With using two different systems, at present my 5D is used with flash/fill flash in 'M' mode and metered by hand using a incident meter shooting with a zoom from f2.8 to f4 with f5.6 when necessary. The 20D is ambient only at f1.4with a prime in center weighed metering and adjusted as per subject. Nothing could be more different in both style of shooting and mindset. I doubt another system would change that much...[/Quote]

I admit Ben, that after I posted I had second thoughts :) since the Canon cameras are, as you point out, really so different anyway. Still an extra XTi in the camera bag weighs little and for $600 is good insurance. Focus recompose is not good.
I'd rather shoot off center and crop than be OOF!

My son has been using my 1DII for product shots with a model. He asked to try my 5D with a 70-200 f4. He brought it back totally put off by the 5D! Said it wouldn't focus and he just couldn't work with it! I find it is not v. good either when one has been used to 1D series standards. Yesterday the 5D would not lock focus on high10 fighter jets one after the other. It locks on low flying birds fine!

I would not use the 5D for anything but group and and table shots at a wedding if I had a choice between that and a 1DII.

My mistake, Ben! Edited iin error istead of quoting! Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Ferguson Jr.

How are y'all liking the new 70-200 4 L IS ? I have a 17-85 Is and I am getting tempted to get the 70-200 4L Is .I would have a good combo right ! After I get over the sticker shock I can always move it to 280mm with extenders ,of course later for $200.00 right ? Also, my rationalization both glass 67mm so I can have same filter size for both !

Regards
Don

Jim Davies

Don Ferguson Jr. said:
Also what does taping the pins mean would you have to do that with this lens and XT ?
Thanks
Don

Not sure what this refers to but I know of people who taped the pins on their 2x extender so that they could maintain AF with the 20D camera. the 20D will maintain AF on a lens that has a maximum apperture of f5.6 or larger however add a 2x converter to a 70-200 f4 and it becomes a 140-400 f8 lens. Using the canon converter you need to tape the pins to stop the lens confirming to the camera what the maximum apperture is. AF however is very slow using a 2x.

I held the 70-200 f4L IS at a Canon event in Southampton recently. Was amazingly light and small in comparison with the f2.8L IS. I forgot how small my old lens was!!

If there comes a time when I can live with a slower lens, then I'd certainly consider swapping the my 2.8IS for an f4IS.