• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[VIS, BV] Double Diptych : Bidens - Sanvitalia

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Double Diptych : Bidens - Sanvitalia

Visible - Bee Vision (simulated)

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Double Diptych : Bidens - Sanvitalia

Visible - Bee Vision (simulated)

original.jpg

Klaus,

Another wonderful work in two worlds. A question about the colors on the right. since one would presume that the color towards the center of the flower might be used for getting the insects closer to the pollen, would it not have higher effective brightness to the insect?

Also perhaps the edges of the petals on the left are a tad over-sharpened? Or is that wind movement or lighting?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Asher. There are jpg compression artifacts visible but also the slight wind movement I had. Exposure was 8-15sec (!!), so it needs a lot or praying to get a good shot!

Don't take that simulation on the right as a reality a bee might see. The algorithm in a bee brain is not yet fully understood, but there are some theories. One I have partly mapped into a system, which shows clearly (right image) that there is even some background suppression at work.

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

It's an interesting subject. It would seem that the insect has also signals coming from the different character of air blow back, (from wing movement), from the end of the petals versus the inside of the petals and might be able to locate itself in 3D by sensors on its hairs, (like the hairs in the mammalian eustachian tube for hearing). Of course, I have no idea whether or not insect hairs have sensitivity, but it seems feasible!

I guess one can freely speculate and then that gives questions that can be checked against know facts or allow new experiments.

Asher