• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A few Calyptratae flies I believe

I'm having a lot of fun with this new DIY macro flash setup!

1) Very tight crop on this on. Almost at 100%
5799373118_f8443a69df_z.jpg

d90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1/200
f22
iso200
sb600​

5798819335_3aa35662f6_z.jpg

d90
tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
1/200
f22
iso200
sb600​

thanks for looking and sharing

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jake,

Amazing! Just how did you get the critters to stay still?

Photograph your setup? BTW, there are two technical trivia here!

Moiré in the eyes and then diffraction degradation at the DOF generous f22.

Asher

Hi Jake,

I too am impressed by these and the jumper images. The lighting is superb.

I too would be interested in seeing your DIY diffuser.

Jake,

Amazing! Just how did you get the critters to stay still?

Photograph your setup? BTW, there are two technical trivia here!

Moiré in the eyes and then diffraction degradation at the DOF generous f22.

Asher

I'm not sure about the trivia? Is the diffraction and moire bad in theses?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The technical trivia!

I'm not sure about the trivia? Is the diffraction and moire bad in theses?

When one decreases the aperture, the edge of the round hole acts to alter the incoming light, considered as waves, and causes points of light, (coming from different parts of the lens), that would be sharp to land as a series of progressively smaller circles of light, like the ripples from a stone dropped in water. When the size of the pixel, (ie the physical sensel), is small, the point of detail is now spread over a number of pixels.

For this, search on deconvolution software posted by Bart van der Wolf. The new software is said to be remarkable at getting back real sharpness.

Generally, one would want to limit f stop to about f 8.0 to f 11 at the most to avoid this blurring.

Still, despite this, your picture looks super!

Moiré in the eyes is minor. I just look for this! Again there's software. does it show in your larger uncompressed images. If not, don't worry about it!

Asher

Hi, Jake,

Lovely work.

Is the moiré in the eyes a result of the downsizing to post here?

Best regards,

Doug

I'm unaware of the factors that contribute to moire. I really don't see it. You seasoned photogs have a much better eye than me. I would have to see a side by side. One with it and one with it fixed to notice it.

Here is a the large version from flickr.

5799373118_f8443a69df_b.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi Jake,

I'm unaware of the factors that contribute to moire. I really don't see it.

No, you wouldn't if it was a result of the interaction of your reduced resolution image and the display at the individual viewer's end.

Here is a the large version from flickr.

5799373118_f8443a69df_b.jpg

Indeed, I don't see any moiré on it. So that's where it came from.

Best regards,

Doug

Ruben Alfu

Hi Jake,

Really cool stuff! Could you share a bit of behind the scenes info? For example, how do you find these subjects in first place?

Regards

Ruben

I will try to remember to take a pic of the location. It is right behind my workplace.
There are 3 sets of large concrete walls/barriers. They lay flat on the ground, stacked maybe 3 or four high(36-48inches). They are all hollow so they are filled with creatures! the flies like to hang out on the sides, facing down. I believe they are looking down for potential food. Jumpers all over the place in different shades and colors.

So anyways, here's a few pics and a drawing of the DIY flash diffuser I made up. I plan on making another that splits the sb600 light into two sections on either side of the lens. Similar to the R1C1 kit.

5814823843_9b012896cb_z.jpg

5814822459_3cafe85aae_z.jpg

5814820649_c812b2ac41_z.jpg

5815416896_92147ed666_o.jpg

Thanks for looking and sharing

Hi Jake,

That's a nice diffuser, telling by your photos, it works great. Thanks so much for the detailed info!

Ruben

Thanks
It was the cheapest pop-up flash diffuser I could find at National camera exchanges tent sale! It broke pretty fast and just sat around. I'm just glad I found some use for it.