• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dante's warning

Doug Kerr

As Dante warned:

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" [1]​

Often translated as:

"Abandon every hope, ye that enter!" [2]​

But equally acceptable (and actually better) would be:

"Abandon every hope, ye who enter!" [3]​

Or, deeming "hope" to be non-countable (like "oatmeal"):

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter!" [4]​

Voi is informal but explicitly plural. Ye is a synonym for you, and like it, is ambiguous as to number in modern English.

Some may prefer, so as to resolve that ambiguity and clearly indicate the plural:

"Abandon every hope, all ye who enter!" [5]​

or perhaps even one of its colloquial regional forms:
"Abandon every hope, y'all who enter!" [6]​
or
"Abandon every hope, youse who enter!" [7]​

Then some may simplify [5] to:

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter!" [8]​

perhaps on the grounds that the "every" (or "all") would be implied by the lack of a qualifier such as "some" (as the French would say, when one has omitted du, "Oh, you are speaking of all the cheese on the world), or perhaps just by mis-remembering form [4].

As to the "here", as in:

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!" [9]​

you're on your own. It certainly sounds good, the kind of thing I often put gratuitously into news accounts when I read them aloud to Carla at breakfast when "I would have written it that way".

Best regards,

Doug

Ruben Alfu

Doug,

This is quiet an intriguing, and informative nonetheless, post.

Regards,

Ruben

comienza-el-dia.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Wichcraft

Doug Kerr

I don't know why we are putting pictures in this thread, other than that Asher asked us to, but whatever.

On our patio we have an automatic dog drinking bowl. The bowl is on a tank with a couple of gallons of water in it (when full), from which water enters the bowl as required to keep it full to a standard level. No valves or anything - it's just that when the port between the tank and the bowl is blocked by water in the bowl, no air can enter the tank and eventually the pressure differential doesn't allow any more water to flow out. When the level in the bowl drops below the top of the port, air is admitted to the tank, the pressure differential is relieved, and water flows out into the bowl.

We have a lot of frogs around during the spring and summer, and often one will go into the bowl portion of the watering rig. When our dog Daisy wants to drink, she just shoos it out.

Actually, for about the last two weeks, Daisy, who normally lives outdoors all the time, has been kept in the house most of the time, as a consequence of the steady very high outdoor temperatures here. (It has been over 104° F at the peak every day for that period). So she drinks from a bowl in the kitchen.

The other day, Carla went to the patio to fill Daisy's feed bowl (her dry food is kept in a metal can on the patio), and found three frogs enjoying a dip. She grabbed her Canon PowerShot SX110 IS and took a few frames. This is one of the best:

Frogs_G02650B.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: Everybody in the pool

There was certainly no abandonment of hope in this entry (other than perhaps of hope for enough schwimmraum).

Best regards,

Doug