• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi

John Maio

pro member
Asher informed me of this site by way of some correspondence we had on the Leica users forum. I own a "micro studio" in Albuquerque, New Mexico and restrict my work to the entertainment industry by offering actor's headshots, movie stills and event coverage (not weddings!!!)

The tools I use include the Nikon D2x, Canon 1Dmark2 and 5D, and my trusty Leica M7 film camera.

I actually owned an M8 for 4 days, before returning it for a refund. It simply was unsuitable for my intended purpose, given the well publicized issues. I was in no position to buy $200.00 hot mirror filters for my M lenses just to use the thing. Hopefully, they will find a way to fix it and I'll order another once the fix is proven, as it has the potential to be a fabulous camera system.

In any event, its nice meeting you!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi John,

A huge welcome! Well we have in common the 1DII, the 5D and I've just been testing the M7 and the D2X. The latter is a wonderful camera.

We're so happy to have someone that shoots with Nikon as we have a good group that will value an addition. I'm impressed by how sharp the Canon macro is and the Macro flash is superb.

As of tonight, I can see that the IR are cut of filters used so far remove practically all of the purple effect. What's interesting is my original observation that these images appear sharper with the filter. That latter allows pretty well 100% transmission of visible light.

One issue appears to be a very slight green residual tint at higher ISO. Also, even without the filter, the purple can be corrected using a phase one C1 curve! So I'm pretty certain that the effects will be corrected. Add to this that Leica's press release this morning promises a fix within several weeks and at no apparent cost to M8 owners, the risk of buying an M8 now is minimal.

I feel that this matter will fade into the legends of Leica history and the M8 will be vindicated as an excellent camera. I'm not minimizing the issues faced, the lapses leading to this or the right for people to be mad at the company they admire. However, I'm now confident that things are on the right track.

Look around and please jump in and share some of your work.

The Walt Disney Hall images in the Architecture Forum are worth looking at right now.

There's a fascinating thread on choice of color space in Color Management and discussions on Photography as Art to name a few places to start!

Oh, yes, you can visit my praying mantis, the first Macro shot, and the first shot I took with the D2X!

Your Leica film shots belong in the film forum so you have lots of rooms to call home!

It's a delight for you to join us.

Everyone is helpful here and exchange is always generous and warm.

If you have unused gear, that too has a place, and things seem to go fast.

Again, thanks for coming over,

Asher

John Maio

pro member
How/where does one post images here?

I like what I see so far, and just wondered if the image posting process is the same as other forums. It seems the Gallery is still being fine tuned, and I'm not certain where to post.

I have a recent headshot taken with the D2X I'd like to share.

John Maio

pro member
Nevermind . . .

Silly me. I have it figured out and posted one to the Portrait gallery. Comments are welcome, of course

Aaron Strasburg

Another Albuquerquean! I haven't noticed too many of us around this place, so welcome.

I'm an engineer, not a pro photographer, but I am amazed to see that you can make a business out of something as focused (sorry...) as yours. Glad to see it.

Aaron