• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Interesting how people see things ...

Rick Otto

My intent, was to take a picture of a Ladybug. Found one - on a Rose. I posted this on two other forums - one, got nothing but compliments... Not a single negative comment...

The other ..... well, here are some examples: "Too soft"; "Bad composition"; "Looks like what happens when you turn noise reduction all the way up in Lightroom"; "The only distraction is that darn petal in the forground but hey still a nice shot and maybe next time. " -- My intent, again, was to take a pic of a ladybug... Not too many ladybugs land on a 'posing table' for my enjoyment and ease of shooting... they normally land on foliage.. So - my Rose is blurred... could anyone imagine that this would be the intent? It's not a picture of a rose - but an effect that I thought would bring interest to the bug, and not an entire scene.. It's interesting how different people see the same thing.... Any comments? - (Except that my horizon is crooked) /-)

5920568818_4fc6150852_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My intent, was to take a picture of a Ladybug...."

"Fools rush in where angeles fear to tread!" Alexander Pope in his poem "An Essay on Criticism".

Rick,

You've already heard a lot of opinions. My feeling is that if the picture of a ladybug, then, I'd ask how difficult would it have been to set up and macro lens on a rail, and take a picture that shows the entire insect, it's eyes towards us, as in a portrait, instead of us looking down on it at an odd angle? We do not have the "presence" of the ladybug dominating the image. It's not just about a ladybug, this is "Ladybug on a rose" and it should be "Ladybug"!

ladybug.jpg

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rick,

My intent, was to take a picture of a Ladybug. Found one - on a Rose. I posted this on two other forums - one, got nothing but compliments... Not a single negative comment...

The other ..... well, here are some examples: "Too soft"; "Bad composition"; "Looks like what happens when you turn noise reduction all the way up in Lightroom"; "The only distraction is that darn petal in the forground but hey still a nice shot and maybe next time. " -- My intent, again, was to take a pic of a ladybug... Not too many ladybugs land on a 'posing table' for my enjoyment and ease of shooting... they normally land on foliage.. So - my Rose is blurred... could anyone imagine that this would be the intent? It's not a picture of a rose - but an effect that I thought would bring interest to the bug, and not an entire scene.. It's interesting how different people see the same thing.... Any comments? - (Except that my horizon is crooked) /-)

Nice shot.

Your text font is too big - makes your post look like it came from the some right-wing political organization (well, not quite - it is all in the same color).

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

On some internet forums, I will only post compliments, because I learned from experience that critics are not welcome. Needless to say, I don't use these forums very often, but maybe the forum you tried is like that.

Any comments?
Yes: I am afraid that some of the negative comments you got are justified. Let me say it differently: imagine a different picture, one of a ladybug in a rose but where the structure of the flower would flow around the bug to show us that it protects it. Wouldn't that be better?

In your picture you have two subjects (the rose and the bug). Generally speaking, that only works if the picture shows the relation between them.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rick,

Let me address the questions you pose another way.

Your goals:

1. Shoot a ladybug on a rose. You did that. O.K., so far you've score 100%.

2. Post in a photo forum said picture of lady bug somewhere on an OOF rose: here, naturally, you get either "Wow, pretty ladybug!" or the truth that it doesn't make an impression beyond that worth bringing one's friends to see. Score here 15%.

In the first case you set yourself a task and completed it. In the second you offered this to others and they took it to be something shared for a special pleasure and it failed. But why? That's because we are not sufficiently impressed with getting a picture of a bug on a leaf or flower, however long you waited for that rare event. What counts in sharing images is being one or more of the following categories:

• A rare event like an assassination, a martian landing or a Rabbi and a Catholic Priest on a date
  • Striking and memorable
  • Beautiful
  • You sold it for a large amount of money
  • A memento or sunset to tear our heartstrings
  • A place or thing we've never seen
  • It was used in a prestigious publication

Your picture shows just a tiny bug in a large field! If the petals were in focus then the composition would be the key and the title would be "Ladybug on a Rose". It may be harsh, but today, folk are not only taking pictures of that little bug, but also doing serial steps on a focus rail and then fusing the focus areas of each for one composite picture that is stunning in composition, lighting, beauty and detail.

Macro photography is an art in itself but with devotion you should be able to deliver as eye-catching pictures as the best of the rest of us.

Don't think the folk were harsh. We do no good for each other if we just give empty compliments!

Be selective in how you photograph and what you choose to represent your work. If your not sure, ask privately.

OPF is known for being honest and practical. no web forum opinions are perfect, but at least we don't flim flam you and hide behind charm and just being nice!

Asher