• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

some recent macro fun

Here are a few more recent macro photos. All taken with a D90, tokina 100mm f2.8 macro and sb600 on camera/diffused.
5883699042_6c368e5f44_z.jpg

5883694858_9dccf24222_z.jpg

5883693040_503082052e_z.jpg

5883126311_c125f0d6e6_z.jpg

thanks for looking and sharing.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So Jake,

Very effective work. Is this each one exposure?

What's your setup for this nice array of creatures?

Asher

Here are a few more recent macro photos. All taken with a D90, tokina 100mm f2.8 macro and sb600 on camera/diffused.

Hi Jake,

Well done. The diffused light helps in getting a smoother, more natural, look.

The next higher challenge is to get the flash off camera, or use multiple flashes with a different output/distance to introduce some lighting contrast to sculpt the subjects. You'll need more than 2 arms to create backlight with fill though ;-)

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Jake,

Well done. The diffused light helps in getting a smoother, more natural, look.

The next higher challenge is to get the flash off camera, or use multiple flashes with a different output/distance to introduce some lighting contrast to sculpt the subjects. You'll need more than 2 arms to create backlight with fill though ;-)

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks. I'm looking to go DIY again and build some sort of flash bracket with movable arms. Trying to think of how I can incorperate a second flash on a small stand. Something like below.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056

Thanks. I'm looking to go DIY again and build some sort of flash bracket with movable arms. Trying to think of how I can incorperate a second flash on a small stand. Something like below.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056

That's a very good series of articles, regardless of one's particular camera brand. There is a number of lighting solutions possible, either readily available or as a DIY project.

Macrophotography requires unconventional solutions to solve the many challenges, which is also part of its charm. If it were easy, then everybody could do it ...

Cheers,
Bart

That's a very good series of articles, regardless of one's particular camera brand. There is a number of lighting solutions possible, either readily available or as a DIY project.

Macrophotography requires unconventional solutions to solve the many challenges, which is also part of its charm. If it were easy, then everybody could do it ...

Cheers,
Bart

I think it will be a good learning tool for lighting that will transfer over to people portraits. I find it much easier than people because there are so many WRONG ways to pose/light a person.