• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tips for buying second hand lenses

Marcus Buckle

Hi

I was wondering if people would be interested in sharing their tips for buying second hand lenses. I have searched many of the forums and have yet to find a good check list that anyone could use to identify whether they are buying a good second hand lens.

Here are a few to start off

- physical appearance - dents, scratches etc
- optical cleanliness - visible dust, scratches
- smoothness of focus and zoom controls
- focus quality - does it front focus/back focus etc
- image quality - take some test pictures at various settings.

What else should be checked before buying a second hand lens?

Erik DeBill

I can't really speak to those, but I'd love to hear any tips on selling lenses, as well. Sort of the yin and yang of the matter.

Marcus,

Marcus Buckle said:
Hi

I was wondering if people would be interested in sharing their tips for buying second hand lenses. I have searched many of the forums and have yet to find a good check list that anyone could use to identify whether they are buying a good second hand lens.

Here are a few to start off

- physical appearance - dents, scratches etc
- optical cleanliness - visible dust, scratches
- smoothness of focus and zoom controls
- focus quality - does it front focus/back focus etc
- image quality - take some test pictures at various settings.

What else should be checked before buying a second hand lens?

I am probably a totally careless person, but I simply trying to buy from the people who I think treasure their reputation. Usually such people disclose all the info they honestly know. Once this level of trust is established it's almost the same as bying a brand new, with the only exception that usually returns are not accepted.
Thus far I got ALL my glass used following this simple idea and never had a single problem with my purchases. Hope this trend will continue, since I'm in process of getting 100-400, and it's not a very cheap lens :)
Just my 0.00002 of the f/stop:)

Erik,

Erik DeBill said:
I can't really speak to those, but I'd love to hear any tips on selling lenses, as well. Sort of the yin and yang of the matter.

I sold a few, so I thought I'd share..:)

My buyers were looking for the proof me being a photographer as a proof that I would have taken care of the glass. Also other people were vouching for me during the "sell campaigns" as being an accurate person since they saw me personally during the shootouts, or knowing for the long time online.

Apart from that, simply being totally open in disclosing all the info is usually enough.
Real-life pictures help, too, but mostly as a marketing tool to help a potential buyer to make a decision faster.

HTH

Don Lashier

I've only bought two used lenses, both from long time posters at RG and I felt I knew their integrity well. I would hesitate to buy a used lens otherwise considering that the cost savings is usually modest versus new. Of course with "classic" (out of production lenses) you don't have much choice, but I'd probably look at KEH or B&H who have reputations to uphold and offer return priviledges.

- DL

Don,

Don Lashier said:
I've only bought two used lenses, both from long time posters at RG and I felt I knew their integrity well. I would hesitate to buy a used lens otherwise considering that the cost savings is usually modest versus new. Of course with "classic" (out of production lenses) you don't have much choice, but I'd probably look at KEH or B&H who have reputations to uphold and offer return priviledges.

- DL

I wish I could afford all new... but I can't ... :-(
So I take a small risk.
As I said - so far so good:)
Cheers!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I sold a 300mm 2.8L. Provided the history, lens number, photographs in through and of the lens.

I had to choose between a guy in florida who urgently needed it for a weekend shoot, would pay the extra FedEx, send the money in advance, bankers check and was an amateur.
The other guy was a pro, photographing sports cars. He wanted a small break. He lived near me. I met him in a cafe (where cops eat) and we chatted over photography, I showed him the lens and I saw he was genuine. I walked with him to the bank and he withdrew the agreed amount in cash.

I had him write a statement that he was an experienced photographer and that he understood Canon lenses and knew what he was buying. I had him test it. He agreed in writing that the lens was not returnable. That was that. He walked off with the lens and I could buy my Distagon lenses instead!

I didn't sell it to the enthusiastic guy in Florida since I feared he might not need it after the game, might not use it properly and even damage it and then return it with a problem.

For me at least, I'll forgo several hundred dollars in order to not have to risk dealing with someone who is naive or worse.

My 17-35m 2.8L sold I think from FM or RG. The deal went easily. However, it was less money and I wasn't so worried.

I have bought many lenses on the internet and on FM. I have never been disappointed except for one 28mm Distagon 2.0 where the "expert" was not quite open to the fact that his perfect apdapters didn't really work and got jammed on to my camera!!

This was the hardest person to deal with. I eventualy got my money back and then bought a lens from another FMer that was perfect! So it's not always straightforward. One has to avoid dealing with non-pros and one must immediately check out the lens and the lens mount.

Is the mount on properly, are there tiny screws missing, how do the rings work, is the rotation smooth or sticky, is there play in the mount connection of the lens, ie not a rigid whole, but has some wobble in it? Look through the lens, is there gunk on the shutter? Is there free oil or moisture or corrosion. Are there signs of discoloration of glass or evidence of fungus? Are there bubbles in the glass? How is the coating? Is the lens surface scratched? Check rear too! any serious dings?

Does the thread on the lens hold a lens filter or is the thread damaged? Is there a lens cap and hood and do they fit? What is the serial number of the lens.

Look it up. any issues with that?

Does this match what the seller has told you?

Test the lens. How does it mount to the body of your camera? Any wobble?

Does the manual focus to auto focus button work.... the rest is obvious... take pictures right away!

To return the lens you need a written agreement or else you are in big trouble!

I personally would only accept return from someone I knew and trusted.

That's all I can think of!

Asher

Daniel Harrison

pro member
I have bought heaps of lenses online, 70-200mm f/4 70-200mm f/2.8 105mm macro 17-40mm L 28-70mm sigma EX (x3) 28-70mm L 17mm tokina, 70-300mm, and more. I have also bought all my bodies online, and 10D (x2) 1D and a 1D mark II.

All of this from Australia, while all my purchases are from the US. I have also gotten burned in my early days, so I think I have learned alot about online buying and selling.

Ebay is good, but you have to be careful.
1. second chance offers are almost always fake
2. check for past listings of a product by the seller - keep an eye on the marklet and use the advanced search option to see completed items and what they have gone for
3. check feedback, if they have heaps - great. If not that is fine, just check how long they have been around and what they have bough and sold, it will give you a good idea if this is a real person.
4. if it is a high ticket item, after winning give them a ring to make sure that there contact details are good.

Fred Miranda is also a good place to buy lenses, just check their feedback section and do a background search on the person by seeing how many posts they have made and if they have a redible portfolio.

Rule no 1. if it is too good to be true, then it must be a lie :)

Always make sure that there are no scratches on the lens, but you are going to do that anyway.

Dont use western union - you might as well flush your money down the toilet.
Paypal is a good way to pay as a buyer, and if you can meet int person then you really won't have any worries!

Hope you get a good deal!

ChrisDauer

Fair share of good experiences, 1 bad...

I've been very fortunate. I have limited myself to buying from FM and here.
I've really only had 1 bad experience and it was on a cheap item. The history of my 'used' purchases as follows:

Canon 200/1.8
Guy had good reputation, and we spoke several times on the phone. He gave me his phone number and address and wanted to make sure I was happy. Sure it could have been faked as he lives back east, but it wasn't. The serial numbers matched up and I'm very pleased with this lens.

Canon 70-200/2.8IS
It was only a couple of years old. A few hundred dollars off. We exchanged several emails and multiple pictures. Works well and I'm happy with it.

CZ Distagon 35/2.8 PC
I met the person at a local shoot (where I was fortunate enough to also meet Mike S. and Asher). He was selling and I was buying. Transaction went very smoothly (as have several other transactions with this same person, most recently a B+W KAS CP 82mm (for the 21mm listed below).

CZ Distagon 21/2.8
Had a good reputation. We exchanged well over 30 emails and worked everything out to both our satisfaction. It is a USED lens and the most "beat up" of them all. This is to say that there is slight brassing around the outside of the widest part. Everything else is smooth and crisp. I used it this past weekend and it's definitely one of my favorite lenses.

The ONE problem I had was with a Canon Extender 1.4x II.
I asked if it was a Mark II. He replied yes. He did not provide a picture of it. I purchased it anyway. It wasn't a Mark II. There were a tense few days back and forth but we finally worked it out.

So, I've been a little long winded and will conclude with these thoughts:

Before you purchase/send money:

1.) Get images with it in use.
2.) Get images of it (good sized ones too! so you can really look it over.)
3.) Get serial numbers.
4.) Ask for a history of the lens.
5.) Ask what is prompting the sale.

After you get the lens:

1.) Take a picture of the outside of the box.
2.) Take a picture of the inside of the box (before removing the item).
3.) Take a couple of pictures of the item, once removed from the box.
4.) Test the item to your satisfaction (do NOT wait a few weeks to do this! Asher made a special section just for cat photo's, for these situations. ;)

Best of luck to you!

-Chris
Ps. Anyone looking to sell a Canon Extender 1.4x or 2x Mark II's for a good price, let me know... I'm still looking! :) :)

Nill Toulme

I've bought, sold and traded a bunch of stuff online, first at photo.net and more recently at FM, RG and here (but never on eBay). Most recently I traded my 24-70L straight up for a 24-105L. I also traded a 300 f/2.8L IS straight up for a 200 f/1.8 a year or so ago.

I guess my advice would be to get a sense of who you're dealing with, but otherwise just treat them like you want to be treated, and have a positive attitude and expect the same in return. That's worked for me so far. (Knock wood.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net