• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Lighting 101 (HOT MODEL)

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Can you guess the lighting of this shot!

Doug & Asher I know you know but please do not tell!

Will_Thompson_C_2011_012K5003_2.jpg

Title: Almost Off Balance!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Can you guess the lighting of this shot!

Doug & Asher I know you know but please do not tell!

I love the picture! What a lovely pose and a "Chinese" character to offset her and provide intriguing balance! Love it!

I'd vignette the edges and corners and print it!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hi Will,

Here's my take: one flash in front of her extended leg, 45 degrees high, at low power. A second flash to camera right, higher, about the same power. Perhaps at least one of these is not a flash but some sort of streetlight or sign...

Now I can't wait to see how wrong I was LOL!

Nice shot by the way, I think moving her more to the right side of the frame would do good.

Regards

Ruben

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Thank all of you that have replied!

Sorry not headlights.

Not street lights either.

There have been several close but incomplete guesses.

A hint all lighting was setup on location by me.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Jerome & Ruben, You got it the closest first!

Ruben, Not quite 45 degrees but a crisscross pattern.

Kathy Close but your memory is off a tad. (Norman 400B x 2) (I might have given it to you but as a friend you know too much about how I shoot before I shoot it!

Bob, a good guess but not. A clue is in the lack of deep subject & curb shadows! (see photo with the Macro Ring Light off, shadow under the curb)

Asher, It is a surveyors mark you noticed on the curb!

Here is the setup as shot!

Will_Thompson_C_2012_012K5926_3.jpg

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 1/125 f4.5 ISO 200, Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, Macro Ring Light MR-14EX Flash FEC -3 & Norman Location Studio Lights with Chimera small Soft Box X 2!

With Ring Light off!

Will_Thompson_C_2012_012K5925.jpg

Close up's of the lighting rigs!

Will_Thompson_C_2012_012K5926.jpg
Will_Thompson_C_2012_012K5926_2.jpg

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Settings!

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 1/125 f4.5 ISO 200, Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, Macro Ring Light MR-14EX Flash FEC -3
& 2 Norman Location Studio Lights @ 50WS with Chimera small Soft Box!

Jerome Marot

So ISO200 and 2x50 W/S. Thank you.

It would thus seem that Canon 580ex flashes could have been used in the soft boxes (they give something like 100-150Ws at full setting). It is interesting to know that they can be a real alternative to lugging studio strobes and their large batteries.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

It would thus seem that Canon 580ex flashes could have been used in the soft boxes (they give something like 100-150Ws at full setting). It is interesting to know that they can be a real alternative to lugging studio strobes and their large batteries.
As I'm sure you know, a watt-second rating does not tell us definitively the total luminous output of the flash unit (in lumen-seconds) - since the relationship depends on what we might call the electro-luminous conversion efficiency of the flash system - and certainly not the luminous intensity-time product on the subject (in candela-seconds) - which further depends on what we can simplistically call the beamwidth produced by the reflector and so forth.

The guide number, on the other hand, nominally reflects the final luminous intensity-time product on the subject (there being a few little wrinkles in the usual formal definition).

Still, there are various rules of thumb that will let us make a scientific wild-assed guess (SWAG) of the relationship between the watt-second rating of a flash unit and its luminous intensity-time product as presented in terms of guide number.

If we use my favorite rules of thumb, we can say that a Speedlite 580EX flash unit, at full output and with its narrowest beamwidth setting (giving a guide number rating of 58 meters), might be comparable in luminous intensity-time product to a flash unit (with some "normal" reflector in place) with a watt-second rating of somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 W-s.

I say this not to dispute the values you stated but rather to support them. The relationship is so vague, and so dependent on factors not noted, that there is no significant difference between saying "100-150 W-s" and "about 75 W-s".

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Indeed there is no rating in Joules for on body flashes, the ratings I gave were based on my rule of thumb estimates... which may have been a bit optimistic. 75 to 100 J is more like it indeed.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member

More like 25 Watt Seconds since the 580EX capacitor limits the max Watt Seconds.

Doug Kerr

That is quite pessimistic. The capacitor in these units is typically between 1 and 2 mF with an operating voltage between 300 and 400V.

And of course a capacitance of 2 mF (not 2 µF, which we used to write "2 mF" years ago) charged to 400 V has an energy of 160 J (160 W•s).

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I try to find more information on the light output of studio and on-camera flashes. We all agree that there is no direct equivalent between a guide number and an output in Ws (or Joules). Besides, the rating in Ws is misleading in that it only refers to what energy the capacitors can store (disregarding the efficiency of the tube and reflectors) and the guide number is also misleading, being measured in a relatively small white room, so that reflections on the walls contribute... a problem when trusting your guide number outside.

The only real way to compare from a photographers point of view would thus be to mount a camera and a studio in the same softbox and see what happens. The Internet being what it is, somebody has already done that here. The answer is that a Nikon SB-800 compares to a 92 to 133 Ws studio flash. A rule of thumb of 100 to 120 Ws for a large on-camera flash thus appears reasonable.

There is one little on camera flash with a rating in Ws, the discontinued Sunpack 120J. It had a rating of (surprise!) 120Ws, a bare bulb and electronics which are not bigger than the one of a typical large on-camera flash, so it is technically possible to get this rating for these kinds of electronics.