• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon 24mm f/1.4L softness - and a clue!

John Maio

pro member
I have one of these and have never been happy with its lack of sharpness, especially at low f/stop numbers.

Someone on another forum passed on a clue that frankly amazed me and might be the answer to my issue. He said that not infrequently, the rear element of this lens is full of tiny air bubbles that would obviously affect sharpness, no matter what they do to "calibrate" it.

Somewhat dubious, this morning I held my lens up to a light looking through the rear element - and there there were! Thousands of tiny bubbles acting like a diffusion filter. Its not subtle at all - the bubbles (or whatever they are) are easily seen.

Of course it will be on its way back to Canon shortly, but I'm still shaking my head over how this defect could have passed even the most rudimentary QC inspection process.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John Maio said:
........I held my lens up to a light looking through the rear element - and there there were! Thousands of tiny bubbles acting like a diffusion filter. Its not subtle at all - the bubbles (or whatever they are) are easily seen.

Al lenses should be inspected. This could be done automatically! I wonder whether they use some optical bench to do this? It would be straightforward to design!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! One small bubble will not do any harm. What you found is bad!

I'm now going to check all my lenses!

Asher

Erik DeBill

Asher Kelman said:
Al lenses should be inspected. This could be done automatically! I wonder whether they use some optical bench to do this? It would be straightforward to design!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! One small bubble will not do any harm. What you found is bad!

I'm now going to check all my lenses!

Asher

It does seem strange that a lens this expensive would have such a glaring defect.

I checked mine - no bubbles.

John Maio

pro member
The 24 1.4L was delevered to Canon service. I'll let you know what they say and do to improve it when it returns.

Joel Slack

My wife has a 10-22 with an obvious bubble in a forward lens element, and it produces dual blemishes on images. We sent it back (twice) to Canon, neither time was it fixed. Now we have to send it back a third time. Deep sigh.

When I spoke with customer service in California (the second time it came back unrepaired), the representative said, "I don't know what to tell you, but according to my computer, that lens was fixed." According to his computer. I didn' t know whether to laugh or cry!

Hope your lens comes back repaired. I'm sure my experience was an anomaly.

This is an interesting revelation, I wonder how how many people have had this issue of the micro-bubbles in the rear element? I love Canon (Love 'em!), but I have serious questions about their QC sometimes. Not to start a complaint thread.