• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In the Woods

Mike Shimwell

I have an inescapable love of woods and often take photos when walking through. I've become inspired to pull some of these together as a set of themed prints (though the collection will undoubtedly continue to grow).

Here are a couple from earlier in the year. Although they are simple images, they start to show some of my thoughts around puling together a range of different pictures on the overall theme.

This is also a personal challenge for me to be working on a project with a determined theme.

Mike

In the woods - Mike Shimwell
Woods.jpg

Woods 2.jpg

Mike Shimwell

I'll add this one in as well - another element of the theme

There is no intent to remain or require mono at this stage.

Mike

on-simonside.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mike,

I have an inescapable love of woods and often take photos when walking through. I've become inspired to pull some of these together as a set of themed prints (though the collection will undoubtedly continue to grow).

Here are a couple from earlier in the year. Although they are simple images, they start to show some of my thoughts around puling together a range of different pictures on the overall theme.

This is also a personal challenge for me to be working on a project with a determined theme.

Mike

In the woods - Mike Shimwell
View attachment 141

Good to see you have decided to make this a focused project, I am looking forward to seeing more. I have seen your "Old and New" picture and commented on it already. This one is quite captivating. I have this feeling that I have seen it before, did you post it elsewhere? Or is it just a case of deja vu?

PS: Quoting attachments does not work is seems!

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Hi Cem

No, I don't think I've posted this one before. It is, of course, a variation on a theme, but one I liked and feel offers something different from more open views. I'll work through the history over the next few weeks as I get time and start to pull some things together - I was reminded of a woods picture taken 4 or 5 years ago yesterday as my parents had a card I made for them on the wall!

Then I'll see what areas I think I could add to and work on adding them to the group. Finally, I may make a blurb book and will do a set of prints for me to keep as a boxed set.

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem

No, I don't think I've posted this one before. It is, of course, a variation on a theme, but one I liked and feel offers something different from more open views. I'll work through the history over the next few weeks as I get time and start to pull some things together - I was reminded of a woods picture taken 4 or 5 years ago yesterday as my parents had a card I made for them on the wall!

Then I'll see what areas I think I could add to and work on adding them to the group. Finally, I may make a blurb book and will do a set of prints for me to keep as a boxed set.

Mike
Excellent idea! Let me know when the book becomes available.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here are two pics of mine which I have shown before.

f19877.jpg

f19716.jpg

Cem,

Others might have used "Clarity" or some other method to clear the haze and ruined the magic. These are works to be proud of. Kudos. But that's not all. You have included ballerina gestures in both pictures.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jerome,

I took this picture some time ago, but I don't think I have shown it yet.

4611943949_489860db3c_b.jpg
I like this one, roots can be very interesting. If this was my picture, I would be doubting about the crop endlessly. I am not saying that it is not good enough as is, au contraire! But I always doubt how best to present a picture like this. What's your take on that?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,

Cem, thanks. The first of the two you posted above is exceptional.

Here are two more of the few I have:

The latter was inspired by Three Worlds from M.C. Escher.

Best regards,
Michael
As I wrote to Jerome, i like roots pictures. Yours is no exception. Are you planning to further pp it or is this your final presentation?

Re. the 3 worlds, a very good emulation if you ask me. Too bad you don't have a carp just underneath the surface, lol.

Jerome Marot

I like this one, roots can be very interesting. If this was my picture, I would be doubting about the crop endlessly. I am not saying that it is not good enough as is, au contraire! But I always doubt how best to present a picture like this. What's your take on that?

Now that you are asking, I am starting to doubt as well.

4612544612_f3c72b4c51_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

Michael,

What's so special here is intimacy. Maris shows that same quality in his work with roots too. Here that feeling of getting into the "being" of the subject gives us a rich experience. We feel the matter of the strong writhing and traveling roots.

Fine work in the right light!

Asher

6040303331_27ce1e8101_b.jpg
Melaleucas and Sedges​

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB, image size 19.6cm X 24.5cm, from a 4x5 TriX Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 lens.

Michael Nagel

Cem - thanks, I am not sure if this is the final version of the roots. I like this version even with its weaknesses.
About 'Leaves and tree': A carp would have been nice, but a polarizing filter to make it visible would have diminished the reflection so I don't know...

Asher - thanks, I really like the roots myself, but I will have to try a print. I believe that the result will be better than on screen.
The leaves are really floating on the water, the halos are created by the curvature from the surface tension of the water, there is no additional sharpening etc.

Maris - I like the abundance of detail here. I imagine that I can get lost for a while when watching this photo as a large print.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

I have revisited my "root of all evil" tree today. This is a focus stacked shot to get everything back to front sharp.

f45078_bw.jpg

fahim mohammed

I have revisited my "root of all evil" tree today. This is a focus stacked shot to get everything back to front sharp.

I am sorry I missed this thread. Wonderful pics by all.

Cem, your last image jives with me on many levels. Strong roots give value. Trees, as others, with strong

roots have inherent strength. Useful to others. Can withstand great hardships. Have immense value.

As your image demonstrates, they are magnificent the older they get.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

f45078_bw.jpg

Cem,

This is a [I"]tour de force"[/I]! You have succeeded very well in the focus stacking. now the question remains, should you perhaps bring back a tad of peripheral blur to increase the "presence" of the mass of evil? I'd also wonder whether the central roots might be enhanced slightly above the rest with a contrast adjustment.

This picture is an excellent addition to the thread "In the Woods". You give the feeling that we have gone beyond the point where turn-back is simple.

Asher

Asher

Asher Kelman

6040303331_27ce1e8101_b.jpg
Melaleucas and Sedges​

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB, image size 19.6cm X 24.5cm, from a 4x5 TriX Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 lens.

Maris,

You have mastered light in this image. It's atmosphere is seriously of the natural woodlands and the tonalities are distributed to good effect. An outstanding print. Bravo!

Asher

Jean Henderson

Wow, Everyone! No need to repeat what has already been said about these wonderful images. I'm a lover of the woods as well and always feel myself drawn to photograph in them. Here are a couple taken this week. I have no titles for them, though.

_MG_4242.jpg

_MG_4157.jpg

_MG_4264.jpg

I liked the way the light was hitting this last one, but when viewed out of the camera, it was hitting background, too. Any ideas how I can PP it to tone down the background light without disturbing that on the leaves>

Jean

fahim mohammed

Jean, a very quick attempt by selecting the leaves via ' color range ' in CS3 and applying some

curves to it and inverse.

p369193611.jpg

Regards.

Jean Henderson

Thank you, Fahim! That is much more what I had in mind. I knew masking would never work for me as I have hardly done any of that at all and it seemed like too many edges to deal with as a selection in the first place. Thanks again!

Jean

Asher Kelman

It's remarkable that the pictures are "In The woods" as opposed to "Woods"! That one extra word in the title seems to have encourage the selection of more intimate photographs inside the woodland.

Titles can be so important to us. That's interesting in itself!

Asher