• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from Misssipppi

Jeff Mims

I just sort of found this place by accident. Looks to be a very nice forum, I look forward to learning all I can here.
At present, I'm a serious amateur, who's been in photography since 85', with SLRs, thought I actually started taking photos much earlier with a Kodak 110.
I've done a few weddings..many years ago, portraits, and have recently found a passion for sports photography. As much as I love it, I can't understand why I've not started before now.
My daughter is active in highschool sports. I did some Track and Field photos back this Spring. Then I was watching her play fastpitch softball (she's catcher), and I thought...why didn't I bring my camera? Next game, I had my camera..and before long, I became the unofficial team photographer, and just had a lot of fun. From there, I went to the sidelines of American Highschool football, and while I've got a lot to learn, I had a lot of fun.
So hello, everyone.

BTW, I'm a Canon user.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great to welcome you! Where are you located?

It's great to be a photographer at kids sports. They are enjoyable to watch and they are appreciative of the work in making pictures that will be treasured. Often kids are so taken back by a shot they are in and lots of things you may not like about it doesnt alter that value one iota!

I hope you'll share your work. We do have a wide range of expertise in event photography all the way from one kids soccer practice to teams of shooters with 100,000 images in a weekend.

Asher

Marian Howell

your story about your recent passion for sports photography struck a chord with me. my focus is landscape/environmental portraiture but family reasons :) got me shooting high school sports. i've had a ton of fun, learned a lot (!), and discovered how incredibly hard it is...my hat's off to those who do it professionally. your gear list looks perfect for it!

Jeff Mims

Marian...
I hear you about shooting sports. It's hard than it looks, but I've learned a lot this year. From other photographers, books..and just being out there. One thing that helps, is being familiar with the game.
I do pretty well with portraiture, but sports are a lot more fun, to me. Seem less like work.