• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shot Drop Shot

Dennis Havel

Five drops..five shots

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

Definitely nice! I would try moving your strobes closer so you can bring down the power on them, thus increasing the flash duration speed.

Then if you used rear curtain flash you could get some motion blur on the pellet from ambient while still freezing motion on the tip of the pellet.

Dennis Havel

Definitely nice! I would try moving your strobes closer so you can bring down the power on them, thus increasing the flash duration speed.

Then if you used rear curtain flash you could get some motion blur on the pellet from ambient while still freezing motion on the tip of the pellet.
The strobe is maxed at 1/128th power (1/38,500sec) on these shots.

Not possible to use rear curtain. The event happens much too quickly to use the shutter for exposure. There is no ambient light present.

The exposure is made with shutter opened prior to drop release and closed after impact. The strobe is controlled independently from the camera.

I can cause motion blur for the pellet very easily; the problem is that the resulting splash water is also blurred causing a blurry mess.

Here's a single drop shot while falling:

DSC_0170-2.jpg

The strobe is maxed at 1/128th power (1/38,500sec) on these shots.

Not possible to use rear curtain. The event happens much too quickly to use the shutter for exposure.

The exposure is made with shutter opened prior to drop release and closed after impact. The strobe is controlled independently from the camera.

I can cause motion blur for the pellet very easily; the problem is that the resulting splash water is also blurred causing a blurry mess.

Ok I understand now. So how do yo cause the motion blur? Is there anyway to isolate that to just the pellet?

Dennis Havel

Ok I understand now. So how do yo cause the motion blur? Is there anyway to isolate that to just the pellet?
Up to a point. Increasing the speed of the pellet beyond the speed capability of the strobe will result in more pellet blur. However, the resulting impact splash will be faster as well.

These shots, of which I have hundreds, are the result of very precise timing calculations of drop speed, pellet speed, and time delay of gun firing.

For the single falling drop image posted above, the drop presents itself as a target for 31/100,000second. The pellet speed is approx 850fps.

DSC_0021.jpg

Crop of above

waterdropshot.jpg

Dennis Havel

Nice! Would you care to share your strobe and droplet timing apparatus with us?
The timing components are comprised of two intervolometers, 2 infrared photo gates, a valve solenoid, a gun trigger solenoid, and a 24vDC relay. All have to be in perfect sync along with the strobe and camera for the shot to work.

Single falling drop

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

Dennis Havel

Hi Dennis,

Nice shot. Was that with an acoustic trigger or with a light trap?

Cheers,
Bart
This event happens much too quickly to use an acoustic trigger. I don't know what a "light trap" is.

The entire sequence is precisely timed with 2 intervolometers. The timing sequence is started upon releasing a single drop which falls through 2 infrared detectors which may be what you call a "light trap".

Calculations were done to determine drop velocity and time to reach the impact point. Measurements were done to determine how long it takes the gun trigger solenoid to activate the gun trigger and for the pellet to travel to the impact point.

The drop time calculation was used to determine strobe firing delay which occurs when the drop is precisely at the impact point and aligned with the path of the pellet. The strobe firing can be adjusted to capture an image before, during, or after impact.

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg