• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Which version?

Jean Henderson

It's spring in the Northern Hemisphere and my photo club's next challenge is "emerging." I was able to shoot on a friend's property last week in a light rain. While I captured some neat and even fun images, not all were strictly on theme. This one does it best, I think. The problem is that I can't decide -- even printed -- which version I like best. Maybe your comments will help me decide.

IMG_0920_edited_8_W-1.jpg

Processed pretty much as seen

IMG_0920_edited_7_W-1.jpg

Processed to bring out the buds bursting and separate it more from the background.

Many thanks in advance for any comments...

Jean

Bob Rogers

I like the second better than the first, but I think I'd like it even better if it weren't quite as saturated.

Just to see, I took the 2nd one into PS and cropped tight on one of the buds and I like that even better. The one I did is the middle at the top. But you might want to clone out the stem if that's allowed in the rules.

Jean Henderson

Thanks for your response, Bob. I read it in email and then came here kind of expecting to see what you did with it in PS. Any chance you could show us just what you had in mind? I'd love to see it. And, no, the absolutely only rule is that the image is an expression of the theme. We can even use old images, which I do not do since I think it kind of kills the spirit of a challenge. It means I have to work harder. ;-)

Jean

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's spring in the Northern Hemisphere and my photo club's next challenge is "emerging." I was able to shoot on a friend's property last week in a light rain. While I captured some neat and even fun images, not all were strictly on theme. This one does it best, I think. The problem is that I can't decide -- even printed -- which version I like best. Maybe your comments will help me decide.

Processed pretty much as seen

IMG_0920_edited_7_W-1.jpg

Processed to bring out the buds bursting and separate it more from the background.

Many thanks in advance for any comments...

Jean

Jean,

Twigs with leaves and blooms are an interesting subject for pictures. The two versions differ in brightness and saturation and not much, to my mind in allocation of importance of the foreground plant and background which is already OOF.

I'd need to know whether or not the transverse twig element was essential to your composition. That's my concern as I'd not have chosen to have included it and would therefore either not take the picture or would simply remove it in Photoshop. Which version you like then starts from the beginning. If however you needed that element, then I'd have to start from the beginning and put my thinking cap on!

Asher

Jean Henderson

What about this? I went square partly because I wanted the curve of the OOF tree in the background, which echoes the curve of the stem, to remain.

IMG_0920_edited_9_W.jpg

I also went with less saturation and like it better.

Jean

Asher Kelman

What about this? I went square partly because I wanted the curve of the OOF tree in the background, which echoes the curve of the stem, to remain.

IMG_0920_edited_9_W.jpg

I also went with less saturation and like it better.

Jean

Jean,

I like the path you are taking but the part of the image you have ejected from your universe here might still have much to contribute still. It's just the transverse twig that's a distraction, unless you wanted it there, then it's up to me to catch up with your esthetics not make you change things.

Yes, the curved vertical behind the twig is lyrical and works for me too.

asher

Jean Henderson

Asher,

Still less saturated. Better application of the clone brush in the new software I'm using. Was also trying out Bob's suggestion for a closer crop, but, you are right, it works better simply without the transverse branch. Let's see if you agree.

IMG_0920_edited_10_W.jpg

Jean

Asher Kelman

Jean,

In real life, we hardly ever get the chance to do things over again. Here, we can indeed go back and revisit an image and adjust according to our present feelings. :)

It's spring in the Northern Hemisphere and my photo club's next challenge is "emerging." I was able to shoot on a friend's property last week in a light rain. ..........The problem is that I can't decide -- even printed -- which version I like best.

Jean Henderson: Emerging
Pretty much as seen

IMG_0920_edited_10_W.jpg

Jean Henderson: Emerging
Bringing out the buds bursting and separated
more from b.g., transverse twig removed.

There's no doubt that your final result shown above is clearer and more defined. That twig thrusts itself towards us dramatically. That vertical curved twig on the left and the unusual horizontal "real estate" zone devoted to the soft woods beyond, creates some tension. So this works well and it's even "pretty"!

The much duller original, however, with the horizontal branch, (that I suggested didn't belong), is also good and now works better for me. That complexity is how life really is!

So, in your mind, did you compose for the final, (but simplified), dramatic result or purposely include the transverse twig too. Can you remember what your plan was as you composed. After all, what you can do is not always what you should do!

Asher

John Wolf

Jean,

I prefer the greater depth of the darker background. I'm wondering how an oval vignette on the lighter version would look?

John

Jean Henderson

Jean,

In real life, we hardly ever get the chance to do things over again. Here, we can indeed go back and revisit an image and adjust according to our present feelings. :)

Yeah, isn't that cool? I don't usually work this way, though, but it is kind of liberating to be able to say "Help, please."

There's no doubt that your final result shown above is clearer and more defined. That twig thrusts itself towards us dramatically. That vertical curved twig on the left and the unusual horizontal "real estate" zone devoted to the soft woods beyond, creates some tension. So this works well and it's even "pretty"!

The much duller original, however, with the horizontal branch, (that I suggested didn't belong), is also good and now works better for me. That complexity is how life really is!

So, in your mind, did you compose for the final, (but simplified), dramatic result or purposely include the transverse twig too. Can you remember what your plan was as you composed. After all, what you can do is not always what you should do!

Asher

In all honesty, Asher, I really can't remember now as I shot it a week ago. After reading this post of yours and the one below it, though, I've decided to let Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" help me decide tomorrow. (The neighbors would be too bothered right now by the loudness with which I like to listen to it -- they'll probably be gone tomorrow, though.)

Jean

Jean Henderson

Jean,

I prefer the greater depth of the darker background. I'm wondering how an oval vignette on the lighter version would look?

John

John,

Thanks for sharing your POV. I, too, am pretty drawn to it as it more completely captures what I felt at the time.

Does anyone know??? Is it fair game to print two versions and keep them both active?

Jean

Jean Henderson

John,

This one is for you... a little too hard a vignette, but gives you the idea, I think. Let me know if it doesn't.

IMG_0920_edited_12_W.jpg

Bud Burst with Vignette​

Jean

Asher Kelman

A rant on obvious effects!

John,

This one is for you... a little too hard a vignette, but gives you the idea, I think. Let me know if it doesn't.

IMG_0920_edited_12_W.jpg

Bud Burst with Vignette​

Jean

Jean and John,

Here's a point to consider. Do you want the technique used to announce itself to you? Here the vignette is obvious. If what you want is to declare, "Here's a window to my world", then, the obvious vignette would be apt. What about being subtle and using an irregular shading pattern?

Asher

Jean Henderson

Asher,

Yeah, I know better when it comes to the vignette. That's what I meant by too "hard" above. The thing is, though, it is not going to work at all. I just revised the image and, in the lighter version, because the background center area is so light, even a very soft vignette is too much, IMHO. Agree?

IMG_0920_edited_13.jpg

This softer vignette still doesn't work for me

Jean